Intent to buy Blu-ray grows - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2008, 03:01 AM

Default Intent to buy Blu-ray grows

Just read this article pretty interesting. Both formats have a long way to go. 80 million regular dvd players out there to the few million next gen players.

Take a look.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6530271.html
Old 02-09-2008, 03:22 AM

"HD DVD intent to buy continues to top BD, which has been the case since NPD started reporting high-def hardware results in October."

That surprised me. I guess I sort of assumed BD was on top of everything, including what people who wanted to jump into HDM were thinking of getting. (Don't get me wrong; I don't think this really means anything. I definitely agree with the NPD rep who says that the trend is more important than the current level.)
Old 02-09-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krylonman View Post
"HD DVD intent to buy continues to top BD, which has been the case since NPD started reporting high-def hardware results in October."

That surprised me. I guess I sort of assumed BD was on top of everything, including what people who wanted to jump into HDM were thinking of getting. (Don't get me wrong; I don't think this really means anything. I definitely agree with the NPD rep who says that the trend is more important than the current level.)
It didn't surprise me much, but just because of how confusing the generic HD DVD name is. As I posted in another discussion:

Basically, while the HD DVD name is self explanatory to some degree, one of their problems is confusion with people thinking other things are HD DVD, when they aren't. For instance, should we really expect casual consumers to know that the following cannot play Toshiba's HD DVD discs (obviously not counting the DVD side of combos that any DVD player can play):

JVC PRO - ProHD DVD Player

LG DN191H Upconverting HD DVD Player with HDMI

These studies showing how many people are planning on buying HD DVD players are kind of like somebody coming out with a new product called, "Bottled-Water", then asking people whether they are planning on buying Bottled-Water and making claims about how much the company is going to sell based on those studies, when many people are unaware that it is even a brand name and are answering generically, not saying which particular brand or kind of bottled water they are going to buy. So, it should be no wonder that the intentions people give for a generic name like "HD DVD" overstate what actually ended up happening. More people claimed they were going to buy HD DVD players than Blu-ray players in every study I've seen, yet the reality was that even only counting standalones, more people bought Blu-ray players in the latter part of 2007 than HD DVD players according to data Toshiba has provided (where Toshiba progressively claimed less market share after the 60% they claimed around May of 2006).

--Darin
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 AM

80 million DVD players out there...?

Ok, let's see .... 1/2 million HD DVD players...

10 Million BD players...

Sounds like Blu-ray is a significant percentage of all DVD players out there...
Old 02-09-2008, 11:08 AM

If you're going to play that numbers game, you might as well add PS2s and Xboxes to the totals...
Old 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefFanboy View Post
80 million DVD players out there...?

Ok, let's see .... 1/2 million HD DVD players...

10 Million BD players...

Sounds like Blu-ray is a significant percentage of all DVD players out there...
Don't think so!, they are saying 80 million DVD players in US, 10+ million BD players are world wide.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:41 AM

I think using anyone's "intent" to do anything is a pretty silly thing to make into a statistic. Let's wait until they've actually done something to count them for anything.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:13 PM

'intent' is a well used term in marketting planning. Its all over my wifes presentations!

Marketting is about creating intention and then the follow through. Its not just advertising, which is in fact one of the smaller parts of the overall scheme.