Blu-ray vs HD-DVD @ Target - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Default Blu-ray vs HD-DVD @ Target

I was at the Target store yesterday and i was looking at the Blu-ray/HD-DVD sales display and i was supprised to see that almost everysingle blu-ray disk was $29.99 also most of the HD-DVD titles where a little less but for the most part $29.99. Target does not even sell a HD-DVD while they do have a Blu-ray display. what gets me is why are there disks cost so much there?

that has got to be the kind of store that most of the comon man buys there products

one other note I think Sony learned there lesson. VHS v Beta was determined by the consumer buying more VHS players than Beta movie studios followed suit and went with VHS

on this one they went to get studios first and now the consumer is forced to buy blu-ray
Old 02-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Watcher of stances

DVD was expensive till mass adoption.
VHS was expensive till mass adoption.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarto View Post
I was at the Target store yesterday and i was looking at the Blu-ray/HD-DVD sales display and i was supprised to see that almost everysingle blu-ray disk was $29.99 also most of the HD-DVD titles where a little less but for the most part $29.99. Target does not even sell a HD-DVD while they do have a Blu-ray display. what gets me is why are there disks cost so much there?

that has got to be the kind of store that most of the comon man buys there products

one other note I think Sony learned there lesson. VHS v Beta was determined by the consumer buying more VHS players than Beta movie studios followed suit and went with VHS

on this one they went to get studios first and now the consumer is forced to buy blu-ray
I thought Target had dropped HD-DVD entirely - which is why I stopped going there when shopping for home entertainment products. Their prices were rarely very attractive anyway.

The real difference between today's format competition and the video tape based one from years ago is that because vhs vs. beta was about recordable tape formats, the consumers were able to steer it and decide. Movie studios could not influence it. Besides, they were busy filing lawsuits to try to kill it all entirely. As I recall, VHS's victory had as much to do with recording length capabilities (where vhs had a clear advantage) as anything else. The slight technical video quality advantage beta enjoyed could not save the format from extinction.
Our high definition hobby is being very much steered by movie studios deciding which format they will release movies in - thereby trying to decide for us. Every discussion you read in here relates to which format enjoys the support of what movie studios as the determining factor of which format dominates in the future. I expect standard definition dvd will remain the winner for a very long time as a result.
But I'll keep enjoying my HD-DVD's and upconverted anamorphic dvd's.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:29 PM

I could care less about Target,i never have bought HD DVD titles there before and maybe 5 titles ever for DVD.Stores like this will never carry all the movies like say BB,CC. Which is if i buy movies at a store that is basically the only places i go to find what i am looking for.I have bought 95% of the 76 HD DVD titles i own though from Amazon as they are the best for HDM purchases.Don't have to worry if its in stock,no gas,no tax,sit back and have it in my mailbox with free 2 day free shipping.You can't beat that.

Target??? PFTTT....

Last edited by GameOver; 02-08-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
I could care less about Target,i never have bought hD DVD titles there before and maybe 5 titles ever for DVD.Sotre slike this will never carry all the movies like say BB,CC. Which is if i buy movies a t a tore that is basically the only places i go to find what i am looking for.I ahev bought 95% of the 76 HD DVD titles i own though from Amazon as theya re the best for HDM purchases.Don't have to worry if its in stock,no gas,no tax,sit back and have it in my mailbox with free 2 day free shipping.You can't beat that.

Target??? PFTTT....
I'm with you - the great bulk of my HD-DVD purchasing is through Amazon, paying attention to sales and prices and free shipping. And their customer support is outstanding.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 PM

It always amazes me just how many people buy their HD DVDs and Blu-rays through Amazon, yet, Amazon "doesn't matter" when it comes to HDM sales figures.

Mark
Old 02-08-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
DVD was expensive till mass adoption.
VHS was expensive till mass adoption.
Wow, what a brilliant observation. Unfortunately, VHS has nothing like it released prior. It was a machine, save for Beta, that was unlike no other.

DVD was such a huge improvement over VHS and such a new technology that people just bought into it, regardless of price.

HDM is not much different than DVD. The improvements are MARGINAL to 90% of the population.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
It always amazes me just how many people buy their HD DVDs and Blu-rays through Amazon, yet, Amazon "doesn't matter" when it comes to HDM sales figures.

Mark
I wonder if Amazon numbers include Target.com numbers.... since they're the same thing, and all... ya know?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
Wow, what a brilliant observation. Unfortunately, VHS has nothing like it released prior. It was a machine, save for Beta, that was unlike no other.

DVD was such a huge improvement over VHS and such a new technology that people just bought into it, regardless of price.

HDM is not much different than DVD. The improvements are MARGINAL to 90% of the population.
Another lesson to be learned.... HDM is very much different than DVD. It requires new technologies to encode, at the very least, and new production lines in addition to this, at the most.

The cost of entering this industry are high on both sides, profit margins stunted by this cost, but in the long run average costs decline as output expands. This is called the Barrier of Entry, and often only larger companies have the capital to invest in the entry. As output increases, the barrier of entry declines, and smaller companies can enter (your Weinstein's, Lionsgates.. etc), and prices drop. This is called Economies of Scale.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrando View Post
Another lesson to be learned.... HDM is very much different than DVD. It requires new technologies to encode, at the very least, and new production lines in addition to this, at the most.
Dude, well know about the various codecs and improved bandwith over MPEG-2 and DVD. This is an early-adopter forum. Obviously. The problem is, for the improvement in MOST people's eyes, the higher price and having to buy MORE equipment is just not worth it. Evident, but sales of HDM in both hardware and software.