Did Blu Ray Sales Affect Mouse House Profits? Disney Profits Drop - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Default Did Blu Ray Sales Affect Mouse House Profits? Disney Profits Drop

Man, you would think that the Mouse House (DISNEY) did incredibly well in home video last year with the addition of Blu Ray to it's arsenal of Home Video distribution channels. It's interesting that on the surface, titles like Pirates 1,2 and 3 plus the BR release of Cars, Ratatoille, and the ton of other significant Blu Ray releases would have nicely offset any further erosion of profit from HV sales. But it did not. Did all that price cutting and BR disc giveaways cut into profit? One can only speculate but it was Blu Ray that started the massive Buy One Get One Free promotions that caused a near meltdown of expected profits from this new revenue generator.

But, see for yourself.

"Walt Disney Co.’s fiscal first-quarter earnings fell 27% from a year earlier, including DVD sales that were 9% lower than the comparable prior year period."

Operating earnings at Disney’s parks and resorts unit rose 25% as a weak dollar boosted spending from overseas tourists at U.S. resorts Walt Disney World and Disneyland.

Looks like Disney is seeing some red, so to speak.

Doesn't seem like they'll be seeing blu anytime soon.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6529088.html
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

I heard a rumor that Disney is switching to HDDVD sometime after May if HDDVD players are still selling.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 PM

god, your username just cracks me up after reading your post!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM

Go ahead and link us to that rumor
Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 PM

The Mouse House

Do you read what you even posted?

"DVD sales that were 9% lower than the comparable prior year period."

I didn't know when Blu-Ray discs became DVDs!

This drop would really affect Toshiba more since they get DVD royalties.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM

Well this thread won't last long, since the OP is flat-out making up a conclusion out of nothing, so time to join in...

I heard a rumor that Universal and Paramount have their first Blu-ray titles ready to go for June.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
Well this thread won't last long, since the OP is flat-out making up a conclusion out of nothing, so time to join in...

I heard a rumor that Universal and Paramount have their first Blu-ray titles ready to go for June.
Oh Zombie, stop it. You are a master at opinionating from cut and paste data, why should I be any different?

Jealous?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
Oh Zombie, stop it. You are a master at opinionating from cut and paste data, why should I be any different?

Jealous?
MarketingGuru... is that you?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post

Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
Except that I provide proof. You have no proof that Blu-ray was any way involved. Indeed, it specifically says DVD.
Quote:
Jealous?
YOu have nothing that makes me jealous, but lots to make me happy I'm without!