Let's be honest shall we:) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Let's be honest shall we:)

I've been reading forums and articles now for quite some time, and here is my take on things. A huge majority of blu-ray players sold are PS3s. Which I believe its original intention was to be a game machine. I realize they don't have any good game titles so users feel the need to justify that big purchase.

Letís be honest though

Anyone who is an audiophile\videophile can't deny that the Toshiba A35 is top notch equipment. Plus at its current price it's a downright STEAL. There isn't a single blu-ray player that can touch it in quality and offerings. Blu-rayís best player out there only beats the A35 in having the biggest price tag.
All of Toshiba's players are priced extremely well, and have benefits beyond HD. Every player can take a Std. DVD and up convert it to near HD quality. Now this is important because people who buy into HD are buying it because they like to watch movies. I'm willing to bet everyone who reads this post has several DVDs. I'm sure you don't plan on throwing those out. However it'd sure be nice to extend their life for free huh

Currently Amazon is selling the Toshiba A3 for a measly 118.43 that includes shipping and 7 free movies. Wholly crap I say, letís do the math. Letís low ball the price value of the movies to 16 dollars each. 16x7 is 112 so for 6.43 you get a new High Def player that makes you old stuff look sweet to. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

I chose to support the HDDVD format because I'm an educated buyer, not because it came included with my console.

If any of the below items describes you or your setup. Save everyone time and don't respond.

You bought a video game console and watch movies because your games suck.
Home audio setup is 5.1 surround or lower
If playing movies on your parents TV
You've never heard the following audio streams
Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio
Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 PM

"Let's be honest"

I'm not reading a retarded post that begins that ignorantly in the first 3 or so lines.

Fail.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM

Wow, you didn't even bother to pretend you were making half this stuff up.

Mods?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM

If it sounds to good to be true...
Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
"Let's be honest"

I'm not reading a retarded post that begins that ignorantly in the first 3 or so lines.

Fail.
If we're being honest. At 400 the ps3 is an incredible steal. If it bothers you that it plays games look at it this way:

the ps3 blu ray sal.
upconverts sd dvd
ethernet built in
easily replaceable hard drive (40 gig min)
finished spec 2.0 player

as a feature they threw in for value:
media player
plays ps3 games

look at it that way and you'll wonder why you cant play games with your a35. Dude, you got ripped off.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
Wow, you didn't even bother to pretend you were making half this stuff up.

Mods?
Actually, he has *some* good points... He does fail to mention that even the A30/A35 are going to boot more slowly than the PS3. But there are some great points in there... Particularlly toshi hd dvd players wipe the floor with blu SA units. And while the PS3 boots very quickly, and loads discs very quicly, as I understand it you completely sacrafice DTS-HS/MA (please correct if I'm in some way wrong)? So even if you go with a PS3 on the blu side, you're making sacrafices.

On the other hand, with an A35, you loose a bit on boot time, but you've got everything else straight out of the box. My expereince with my A2 tells me that you shouldn't have any issues at all (play back, anything) with an A35. To qualify my last statement though, I don't have direct experience with the A35 nor have I researched it much, so perhaps I'm wrong. But I would think I'd see a bazzilian " this player sucks" posts if it was problematic.

Now if Uni and Para hang in there and players keep selling.

Maybe, just maybe HD DVD can pull an upset just like the Giants.

Go HD DVD, go.
But lets have some nation wide advertising.

I want to hear "Available in DVD and HD DVD" for every movie that comes out on the format. That should be shown on movie trailers as well.

The quality vs Bluray.
Make J6P think why should I pay more when this looks and sounds just as good.

It will be amazing if HD DVD can hang in there. I hope they do.

Ever thought of asking yourself why the A35 is so cheap?

The PS3 runs circles around the A35. Well worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown-D View Post
If we're being honest. At 400 the ps3 is an incredible steal. If it bothers you that it plays games look at it this way:

the ps3 blu ray sal.
upconverts sd dvd
ethernet built in
easily replaceable hard drive (40 gig min)
finished spec 2.0 player

as a feature they threw in for value:
media player
plays ps3 games

look at it that way and you'll wonder why you cant play games with your a35. Dude, you got ripped off.
The PS3 plays games??? I didnt know that. I thought it was just a BluRay player. Maybe I should check out this 'game' thing. Come to think of it, the remote is kinda funny looking.