Audioholics Article - Blu-ray: After the Format War Will there be Format Civil War? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 AM

Default Audioholics Article - Blu-ray: After the Format War Will there be Format Civil War?

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...e=421620080204

[EDIT: Removed quote from story per request from copyright holder]

Word is finally starting to spread about the horrible overpriced gimped blu-ray players.

So this is what Warner Bros. fled HD DVD for.

The "consumer" has truly decided. .

Last edited by jed; 02-05-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Removed quote from story per request from copyright holder
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post
Word is finally starting to spread about the horrible overpriced gimped blu-ray players.

So this is what Warner Bros. fled HD DVD for.

The "consumer" has truly decided. .
I'm not entirely sure about the purpose of this post.

My understanding is as follows.

A Profile 2.0 disc will play in a Profile 1.0 player. What more do you need? If you read this poll you will see how most people feel about the issue.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 AM

sounds like they made the right decision, i doubt any format launching today would 'win'
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 AM

in before the "you dont need web enabled" and "just buy a ps3"

the purpose of the post was to show that unless you are currently a PS3 owner, you do not own a full spec blu-ray player.

some people may get pissed as web enabled developes and offers more in the future when they have to shell out an additional $500+ on a blu-ray player.

oh.. and in before the "early adopters" spin
Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 AM

i have a ps3, 2 in fact,a s my sig shows. pip is as lame on blu ray as it was on hd dvd. i've seen the web enabled features. i'd rather just have a good transfer and uncompressed audio. it seems so do most people. get over it. hd dvd can't go back and win this thing, just like the pats can't go back and kick a field goal on 4th and 13 instead of going for it. they lost, the game is over, lets move on to making blu ray better (because unlike hd dvd it actaully has the capability to go further), cheaper, and the new standard.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Papa View Post
in before the "you dont need web enabled" and "just buy a ps3"

the purpose of the post was to show that unless you are currently a PS3 owner, you do not own a full spec blu-ray player.

some people may get pissed as web enabled developes and offers more in the future when they have to shell out an additional $500+ on a blu-ray player.

oh.. and in before the "early adopters" spin
It'll cost them $400. For now.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 AM

I find it amusing that the cite this as a negative point:
"With the PS3 as the dominant Blu-ray hardware by an order of magnitude and Sony commanding a significant portion of the remaining set top player sales, the other manufacturers are going to face squeezed sales until all this profile business shake out."

This being different to Toshiba cutting prices massively and squeezing out the ONLY other HD-DVD hardware maker how exactly?

And before you run off and celebrate lets have a look at one of the closing comments: "None of this may come to pass, but the possibility does exist."
So lets not start celebrating just yet ...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The first of the profile 2.0 film titles hit the shelves in January while many of the current players for sale on store shelves are only profile 1.0 capable and not even profile 1.1 capable.
What profile 2.0 titles have been released?

I watched a 1.1 title last night (Resident Evil:Extinction) on my profile 1.0 machine with no problems at all.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
What profile 2.0 titles have been released?

I watched a 1.1 title last night (Resident Evil:Extinction) on my profile 1.0 machine with no problems at all.
Try the PiP content...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumwriter View Post
I'm not entirely sure about the purpose of this post.
Right - the 100 pointless linkless pro blu-ray fanboy threads are OK, but this one is purposeless.

Quote:
My understanding is as follows.

A Profile 2.0 disc will play in a Profile 1.0 player. What more do you need? If you read this poll you will see how most people feel about the issue.
Most people? Most people???

You mean a couple of dozen blu-ray supporters on this board, don't you? Some of whom may have voted multiple times under aliases, or are lying?

You post a poll on an internet message board and get a few responses from the PS3 crowd and pass that off as unequivocal proof that "most people" don't care? And what about the 44 HD DVD purchasers that care? Screw them?

I can buy a "profile 2.0" player on the HD DVD side for $129 with 7 free movies. A gimped blu-ray player cannot do the same and costs >$300. A fantastic deal!

Warner, Fox, Disney, and Lions Gate should be ashamed of themselves for supporting this horrorshow. Instead, they were lured by royalties and incentives.

What is really appalling is that "consumers" (PS3 fanboys, really) defend this situation simply because it is not them buying these players. Then these same "supporters" ask in their pointless threads why HD DVD supporters do not buy into blu-ray, and castigate them for being "anti-HDM", "anti blu-ray", or "anti-Sony".