Living vicariously through a standard - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 PM

Thumbs up Living vicariously through a standard

Saw this over on Amazon while looking for more movies. I couldn't agree more with what the OP has to say, which is easy to understand since I'm purple and really don't care much about this so called war. However, some of the posters on here do provide me with some good entertainment. Seriously, its fine to choose a side and live vicariously by me if that makes you feel better. But, please can we leave the slander, low blows, and exuberant gloating out of these forums, it's kinda childish and most certainly not need for dicussing the formats. Yes, even in a smackdown forum.

http://tinyurl.com/yp36au

Some of my favorite parts:

Quote:
...The people that read these posts feel so strongly about the standard they have bought into that they must slander the other. I bought into both standards, and my opinion is irrelevant as to which is better for you. In all honesty, I can recommend either depending on a person's needs...
and

Quote:
This is the core of living vicariously. We somehow feel good when our "chosen" side trounces an opponent. In the end, we an invariably the same person with no merits gained nor lost. Some people choose a sports team or player with which to live vicariously through. You have chosen a standard. This is sad.

A big thank you goes out to Brian, the OP, for bringing a cool breeze of reality to this war.

Last edited by joebmed; 02-01-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 PM

In full agreement on this.

And may I say, I think I will start living vicariously through Brian.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:08 AM

Default sports

Its ok to root for a sports team, but not for something you actually have money invested in and own?? Its living vicariously to root for a team, not for an investment or for something that will actually effect your real life. Does it matter if my favorite football team wins?? No, but it will make a real difference in my real world if blu-ray wins or loses. Is the HDM debate important?? Hell no, its a freakin piece of media, but its interesting if nothing else.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post
Its ok to root for a sports team, but not for something you actually have money invested in and own?? Its living vicariously to root for a team, not for an investment or for something that will actually effect your real life. Does it matter if my favorite football team wins?? No, but it will make a real difference in my real world if blu-ray wins or loses. Is the HDM debate important?? Hell no, its a freakin piece of media, but its interesting if nothing else.
If I have money on a certain team, you might say that it matters to me quite a bit, depending on the wager.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:39 AM

apples =/= oranges

nuff said...

- T
Old 02-02-2008, 10:53 AM

This war equates to a level of entertainment in itself. Just like sports and/or politics. Human nature leaves one craving for victory, at the obvious expense of the fallen. What is more humorous are the ‘bandwagon people’ that always seem to show up and become part of the victory party after the event has closed. Yet, the strong remain ‘visible’ even after a loss.

As sideline cheerleaders, we often find ourselves repeating the same routine – which leads to complete blindness of reality. Unable to withstand a loss of ‘yardage’ fans will become contemptuous and throw a temper tantrum; citing old and tired jargon.

In an effort to maintain entertainment value of the event, the loosing side may align themselves with a new ‘team.’ In the case of HiDef wars, the loosing team might begin to support alternatives to what the successor is able to offer. The victor will dismiss any alternatives, which the loosing side might advocate, to maintain victor status. Again, everyone craves victory.

In the end, it is just plain old folks trying to fill some empty void in their life, and make themselves feel better somehow. In conclusion, no one really cares.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Kinda funny how some of the very people he was describing chimed in
Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

I could personally give a crap if the Packers win every Superbowl from here to eternity of disband tomorrow. It means exactly zero to me, other than having to listen to people around me pontificate about it. To me it's a bunch of guys that put on spandex, line up and run into each other over and over again for 4 hours. I have no personal gain or loss by the outcome.

I think it's pretty sad that these drugged up convicts are idolized by so many, but most people don't see it that way. Of course I'm also against hunting, which puts me in the minority around here too.

But when it comes to the way the greatest artform ever invented is to be displayed and distributed from here on out, yeah, sign me up for war. That's real, that's personal. That's something that actually matters.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post
But when it comes to the way the greatest artform ever invented is to be displayed and distributed from here on out, yeah, sign me up for war. That's real, that's personal. That's something that actually matters.

Oh my! That was good. Such a commitment to an "artform" that has at it's heart, directors and actors, a group of emotional misfits overdosing left, right and center, throwing temper tantrums left right and center, showing the most reprehensable behaviour in public enough to embarass satan himself.

Oh, this was priceless. Thanks for the morning laugh. Oh! Mercy!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluasad View Post
Oh my! That was good. Such a commitment to an "artform" that has at it's heart, directors and actors, a group of emotional misfits overdosing left, right and center, throwing temper tantrums left right and center, showing the most reprehensable behaviour in public enough to embarass satan himself.

Oh this was priceless. Thanks for the morning laugh.
I can't tell if this was some lame attempt at a smackdown or just plain ignorance.

Can you tell me of a single "artform" where the artists are shining examples of moral behaviour?