Could that VMD surpass HD DVD/Blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Could that VMD surpass HD DVD/Blu-ray?

I actually just read up on this disc format the other day.

Seems like a sound plan. Using existing technology, but adding more layers, and market it to the two countries with the largest populations in the world (India and China) as to not directly compete with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray...plus sign an exclusive deal with Bollywood (sp?).

What is everone's opnion? Is this an actual threat to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, or is it like VCD was?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Not sure, but they do have a US distributer now. Were still in the early stages of these new formats and I guess anything can happen. One format hasnt been adopted by the masses yet.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

I'd like to tell you, going back home in Bangladesh, and knowing India, they will use VMD massively and not even bother with HD DVD. Heck, they have learned to put about 4 movies in a DVD and sell it for cheap, yet make perfect about of money. People there, mostly watch all of those on their computers...so even at that, quality isn't much of a big deal for them. Now as for China, I don't know...never been there.

But in US...no this isn't a threat. Just like VCD never was, but it was a big thing in Asia....
Old 03-02-2007, 11:39 AM

Have you ever been to China? It seems like every movie sold is either bootlegged, or pirated. I think HD DVD and Blu-Ray could care less about China due to all the piracy issues. China reallly needs to clean up their act... Not sure about India..
Old 03-02-2007, 01:08 PM

Talking

Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 PM

VMD suffers from even less movie industry support then HDDVD, so I *REALLY* doubt it has a chance.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Have you ever been to China? It seems like every movie sold is either bootlegged, or pirated. I think HD DVD and Blu-Ray could care less about China due to all the piracy issues. China reallly needs to clean up their act... Not sure about India..
"Now as for China, I don't know....never been there"
Old 03-02-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinius_rex View Post
VMD suffers from even less movie industry support then HDDVD, so I *REALLY* doubt it has a chance.

I went to the website of the company behind it, and it seems like it has some US studio support for Chinese versions of movies. Not sure what studios, but I noticed a copy of the terrible movie Cellular.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 PM

It would be funny if HD VMD ended up smacking down Blu-Ray and HD DVD. I think the forum would explode if there was a thread titled

"HD VMD quadruples HD DVD and Blu-Ray player sales, and sells seven times as many movies"
Old 03-02-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
It would be funny if HD VMD ended up smacking down Blu-Ray and HD DVD. I think the forum would explode if there was a thread titled

"HD VMD quadruples HD DVD and Blu-Ray player sales, and sells seven times as many movies"
I would totally laugh my ass off. You know there'd be a whole mess of people who would be gnashing their teeth up in arms over it. LOL!