Why the Movie Studios are using BD-25GB when they have the BD-50GB? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2007, 12:39 PM

Talking Why the Movie Studios are using BD-25GB when they have the BD-50GB?

Discussion Topic:

I know this forum is full of topics about BD and HD DVD maybe one close to this one. I have a simple question without going to technical about it. Why the studios are using the BD-25GB when you have a 50GB that is of course superior in storage. Please if you know why just tell me because I do not.

Note: Doby please do not give the 20 pages argument just tell me why and the link (Just kidding)

Last edited by nelll; 03-01-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 PM

There are a couple of reasons, and any of them could come into play.

1. The movie may be encoded using an advanced video/audio codec and come up under 25GB. So, they don't need the extra space for that film.

2. BD50 is a bit more expensive and they may not want to spend the money for it.

3. They may have mastered for HD DVD, which tops out a 30GB, so the movie also happens to fit on a BD25 disc.

4. There may not be a ton of BD50 production lines up and running yet, so to get movies out, some movies with less potential sales may be pushed to BD25 just to get it out the door in a timely manner.

There are likely other things I haven't thought of. I'm not sure if there are any stories I have seen specifically addressing this.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocknight View Post
because its cheap, it costs less than a HD dvd dual layer.
...and this leads to switching to HD DVD right?? LOL
Old 03-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-DED View Post
There are a couple of reasons, and any of them could come into play.

1. The movie may be encoded using an advanced video/audio codec and come up under 25GB. So, they don't need the extra space for that film.

2. BD50 is a bit more expensive and they may not want to spend the money for it.

3. They may have mastered for HD DVD, which tops out a 30GB, so the movie also happens to fit on a BD25 disc.

4. There may not be a ton of BD50 production lines up and running yet, so to get movies out, some movies with less potential sales may be pushed to BD25 just to get it out the door in a timely manner.

There are likely other things I haven't thought of. I'm not sure if there are any stories I have seen specifically addressing this.
So what is the advantage BD over Hd DVD then? let me ask you this: If I have all of my movies HD DVD in a 30GB storage and you have yours in a 25GB I'm superior in storage 5 GB so why BD should be a better option? So they are going to use a 25GB in a movie less popular and a 50GB in a movie more popular.(WTF) If it was me I will use the 50GB media and put more HD content on it.I think that is what all of us are crying for. well at least most of us.

Last edited by nelll; 03-01-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocknight View Post
nope bad PQ is 25GB and mpeg2, 25GB and AVC would be fine.
If 25GB mpeg2 is fine why 30GB HD DVD VC-1 it's not good?"
Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelll View Post
If 25GB mpeg2 is fine why 30GB HD DVD VC-1 it's not good?"
I said it was not fine that it was bad PQ for 25GB and mpeg2 reread it.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:15 PM

yea because its cheap and most movies can fit easily on 25GB with some extras.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
So what is the advantage BD over Hd DVD then?
Blu-ray has 20GB of extra storage space available when/if necessary. It isn't LIMITED to 25GB... or in the case of HD DVD - 30GB.

Quote:
If I have all of my movies HD DVD in a 30GB storage and you have yours in a 25GB I'm superior in storage 5 GB so why BD should be a better option?
Here's a list of comments...

1. First off, I don't have ALL mine on BD25, studios have a choice, and some are using BD25 for certain releases as necessary. The majority of releases, at this point, go out on BD50. So, the entire question is inaccurate.

2. If the question WAS accurate - I would still have more movies to choose from.

3. I would have more studios releasing the most popular box office films on Blu-ray.

4. I would have the exact same CODECs possible with Blu-ray that I would have with HD DVD.

5. I would be able to buy a player that said Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Philips, or Sony if I wanted to.

Quote:
So they are going to use a 25GB in a movie less popular and a 50GB in a movie more popular.
No, it is just a possible reason why they MIGHT choose to use BD25. There is no specific reason I am forcing as fact, just potential reasons.

Quote:
If it was me I will use the 50GB media and put more HD content on it.I think that is what all of us are crying for.[/B] well at least most of us.
No, I think ALL of us want more HD content! But, mastering movies is extremely expensive, and right now, sales of HD discs are incredibly low. So, a movie that only sells 100,000 copies is not something you can spend a million dollars or more getting to HD disc - in either format. So, certain aspects will lack. When almost every BD release sells a million copies or more, then you are much more likely to see BD50 on every disc and a disc filled with HD audio, HD extras, and incredible interactive content.

For me - I just really want the movie to be a good HD transfer and a title I actually want. Disc size doesn't matter to me.... extras don't really matter to me either.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 PM

I notice in some of movies file sizes that they are more than 25G and maybe its because BD50's allow better quality in movie than 25G. I am actually one that would not care as much for additonal content but better picture and audio quality. The manufactor can put the extra content on BD25 - even if necessary to release two versions - one with it and one with out. Except for audio comentaries, I hardly care for extra content especailly when I am watching the movie. No stupid popups and extras while the movie is playing.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:

So what is the advantage BD over Hd DVD then? let me ask you this: If I have all of my movies HD DVD in a 30GB storage and you have yours in a 25GB I'm superior in storage 5 GB so why BD should be a better option? So they are going to use a 25GB in a movie less popular and a 50GB in a movie more popular.(WTF) If it was me I will use the 50GB media and put more HD content on it.I think that is what all of us are crying for. well at least most of us.
dont you know, Blu-ray fanboys like to go with theories about how much can blurray hold in the future, and i do beleive that 25 gig is enough , 50 gig is more then enough.