I noticed something a little strange at my local Best Buy and Circuit City. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2008, 12:12 AM

Default I noticed something a little strange at my local Best Buy and Circuit City.

I found that both stores had restocked several Paramount titles that I hadnt seen in months. The Mission Impossible trilogy was the most obvious, because I went looking for that one once Para dropped bluray. Other titles restocked were Italian Job, Disturbia and Nacho Libre.

I also noticed the Mission Impossible trilogy and Disturbia at Circuit City as well and I had not seen either of them there ever.

So does anyone think that its possible that Paramount could be opening up the warehouse and quietly allowing retailers to restock titles that they said "wont be replenished" back in august?

Im perfectly aware that this could be an isolated incident, but I was just curious if anyone else had noticed this at their stores.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:17 AM

Buy.com just restocked everything, too.

All the Shooters are already gone, though. But the rest are there now (and they weren't before.)

Mission Impossible Trilogy for $58. I'm thinking about it.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:20 AM

You know I noticed this also at my BB, but I didnt think much of it at the time. But now that you mention it, I had thought Paramount was not replenishing them? Could be titles that BB had in their Distribution Centers? I dont know but curious.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:21 AM

Yeah, I was thinking these may be holdovers from the time back when Paramount was still format neutral... Have to check out BB tomorrow and ask...

- T
Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaDog View Post
You know I noticed this also at my BB, but I didnt think much of it at the time. But now that you mention it, I had thought Paramount was not replenishing them? Could be titles that BB had in their Distribution Centers? I dont know but curious.
Thats what makes this whole thing curious is that they said that current supplies would not be replenished. Obviously, that is happening here.

Yes, it COULD have been the local Best Buy distribution center who have sent these, but it seems like it would have been done long ago.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:26 AM

Hmmm....Could be a sign that they've opted out of their contract.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:27 AM

Weren't there rumors that Paramount was "destroying" all left over BD stock?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Weren't there rumors that Paramount was "destroying" all left over BD stock?
Again, something else that adds more intrigue to how Best Buy was able to replenish these "destroyed" titles.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 AM
O_o

Yeah it was a rumor. Big companies like Amazon, BB and CC usually heavily stock items that are known to be discontinued. For example, Disney's Bambi II and Disney's Narnia 4-Disc Edition have been in the vault for over a year now, in fact these two titles were only available for 60 days. Despite that, they are continually being replenished and readily available at retailers for $19.99 and $34.99 respectively. Disney's Sword the Gold Collection went into the vault in 2003 and in 2008, it sells for $17.99 on Amazon.

PHE order sheets have no BD titles, and I doubt if they were planning to change strategies this would be their first move. And finally, PHE accepted orders until 11/28, where they apparently decided to no longer process orders for BD media. So perhaps retailers ordered tens of thousands of copies and are restocking movies from central distribution centers. Sometimes I think people read too much into what is otherwise very common situations in the industry. Does the above mean, Disney is still cranking out Bambi's and Narnia's? No.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
Yeah it was a rumor. Big companies like Amazon, BB and CC usually heavily stock items that are known to be discontinued. For example, Disney's Bambi II and Disney's Narnia 4-Disc Edition have been in the vault for over a year now, in fact these two titles were only available for 60 days. Despite that, they are continually being replenished and readily available at retailers for $19.99 and $34.99 respectively. Disney's Sword the Gold Collection went into the vault in 2003 and in 2008, it sells for $17.99 on Amazon.

PHE order sheets have no BD titles, and I doubt if they were planning to change strategies this would be their first move. And finally, PHE accepted orders until 11/28, where they apparently decided to no longer process orders for BD media. So perhaps retailers ordered tens of thousands of copies and are restocking movies from central distribution centers. Sometimes I think people read too much into what is otherwise very common situations in the industry. Does the above mean, Disney is still cranking out Bambi's and Narnia's? No.
Very realistic possibilities and I would agree that this is most likely the case.

FOR NOW.