What is the most important feature in Blu-ray and HD DVD players? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-23-2008, 02:38 PM

Default What is the most important feature in Blu-ray and HD DVD players?

Not only is this the most important feature, the feature is so important that either format would be INSTANTLY DEAD if it were not included. Can you tell me what it is?

The surprising thing is that both Sony and Toshiba hardly make any mention of it at all.

This is an area that I think both companies are failing but Toshiba is ahead.

I am talking about DVD playback. If Blu-ray players or HD DVD players didn't play regular standard def disks, they would be instantly dead on arrival.

That is how important standard DVD playback is. Not only do these HDM players play regular DVD's, but they also do a stellar job of upconverting them.

Why doesn't Toshiba just market their HD DVD players as DVD players? Every disk they release should be a combo disk. Why hasn't that been the case from the very beginning?

For the consumer it would be very attractive. A great upconverting DVD player that not only upconverts all their disks, but every HD DVD disk they buy also works on their existing DVD players. And this HD DVD player is priced very low at $125 currently.

Most households have multiple DVD players. It will take a long time for them to buy ONE HDM player. How long would it take them to buy 3+?

Also there is the HDTV aspect of it all. Most homes still have SDTV's. And if they have an HDTV, they only have one, not one in every room. For them it would make sense to buy an HD DVD player with combo disks that they can play in any room.

This just makes a lot of sense.

A lot of blu-ray supporters will scream bloody murder because they just want blu-ray to succeed. But the truth is that is impossible right now.

It is impossible for Blu-ray to take over DVD until 95%+ of US homes have HDTV's.

Currently only 35% of US homes have an HDTV and it's impossible to know how many homes have multiple HDTV's.

What I am saying is even if blu-ray has a 100% market penetration, that would only equal to 35% of the movie disk market. And out of that 35%, a lot of buyers would be inconveninced due to the fact that their blu-ray disks work only on blu-ray players.

Forget about the Blu-ray vs HD DVD war because that is not what this thread is about.

What i'm outlining here is HOW DIFFICULT it will be for blu-ray to take over as the standard over regular DVD.

It seems to me as if Blu-ray was a few years too early. At this point it is only catering to a niche market.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM

The most important feature would be the playback in high definition from a 1080p source. It may not take over DVD but the market for HD content is growing extremely fast and I would suspect that people with HDTV's will be interested in getting a player that can maximize their experience.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM

Default The On Button

It must work.

All else matters little if it won't turn on.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BJD View Post
The most important feature would be the playback in high definition from a 1080p source. It may not take over DVD but the market for HD content is growing extremely fast and I would suspect that people with HDTV's will be interested in getting a player that can maximize their experience.
Fair enough. But how long will it be before 95% of US homes have HDTV's?

Give me a guess.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:46 PM

The most important feature is movie content
Old 01-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Being able to play back both High Def and Standard Def movie's is the most important feature... I personally do like all the HD DVD extra's though.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedding_shirt View Post
I am talking about DVD playback. If Blu-ray players or HD DVD players didn't play regular standard def disks, they would be instantly dead on arrival.

That is how important standard DVD playback is. Not only do these HDM players play regular DVD's, but they also do a stellar job of upconverting them.

Why doesn't Toshiba just market their HD DVD players as DVD players? Every disk they release should be a combo disk. Why hasn't that been the case from the very beginning?
I couldn't agree more. This is exactly why I purchased a high def dvd in the first place. It would play my regular dvd's and upconvert them. I would have purchased an upconverter if not the hd dvd and the only reason I didn't purchase the upconverter was because the price was so good on the HD dvd player. I think if they issued all discs as combo, they couldn't go wrong. This way, you buy the movie once and you can watch it anywhere, a friends house, your laptop, etc. I think if they started that now and advertised it, they could come back. I think this is a real selling point.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Most important feature would be for the player to play the disc and everything on that disc.

How would you like it if you bought a cd and it only played half the songs?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedding_shirt View Post

What is the most important feature in Blu-ray and HD DVD players?
1080p playback and next-gen sound.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
1080p playback and next-gen sound.
I wish my bd player would play next gen sound. All my fox titles will not allow me to do that until I get a hdmi PRE/PRO wich I am not financially able to do at this time. In fact even if I had an hdmi PRE/PRO I still would not get any hd audio from any fox titles unless I got a new bd player as well.