Nice move BDA! Nice! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-22-2008, 03:33 AM

Default Nice move BDA! Nice!

Anyone miss this? This week at Circuit City they have a promo where if you buy ANY 1080P TV you get a free 3 pack of Blu-ray movies. I think it was Night at the Museum, Invincible, and 50 First Dates. Not the best selection ever but every customer gets one and it will definatelly help push Blu. On the standee in the front of the store it says "The Future is Blu" with the 3 packs clearly displayed. As far as I know this is a nationwide promo, it'll be interesting to see if this does help push sales or not.

Edit: I haven't seen the HD DVD promo guys do something like this yet, maybe not enough money for more promos? Also, anyone know if either camp is going to continue to give 5 free movies with either player's purchase?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:34 AM

Invincible is a kick ass movie.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 AM

I guess that could help Blu-ray.

Well I guess they will have to spend a little more to actually be able to play the movies. (L0L)

What they should do is give a FREE Blu-ray version of a movie when you buy any 3 DVDs taht has a Blu-ay version.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:07 AM

I predict an increased number of those 3 movies on eBay when those people go home and try to shove those movies into their Zenith upconverters
Old 01-22-2008, 04:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
I predict an increased number of those 3 movies on eBay when those people go home and try to shove those movies into their Zenith upconverters
I'd predict an upswing of 50 First Dates regardless.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedone View Post
Anyone miss this? This week at Circuit City they have a promo where if you buy ANY 1080P TV you get a free 3 pack of Blu-ray movies. I think it was Night at the Museum, Invincible, and 50 First Dates. Not the best selection ever but every customer gets one and it will definatelly help push Blu. On the standee in the front of the store it says "The Future is Blu" with the 3 packs clearly displayed. As far as I know this is a nationwide promo, it'll be interesting to see if this does help push sales or not.

Edit: I haven't seen the HD DVD promo guys do something like this yet, maybe not enough money for more promos? Also, anyone know if either camp is going to continue to give 5 free movies with either player's purchase?
sears is having a sale where if you buy certain HDTVs you get either a blu-ray player or a hd dvd player. this seems like the more logical promotion.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Bison View Post
Invincible is a kick ass movie.
QFT ... it rocks

- T
Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedone View Post
Anyone miss this? This week at Circuit City they have a promo where if you buy ANY 1080P TV you get a free 3 pack of Blu-ray movies.
They shouyld be giving away the $400 player to play those movies! They probably count those movies in the Nielsen numbers.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM

I hope a bluray *player* is included with that deal! lol!! (I'm sure it is, but I would laugh my friggen butt off if it wasn't!)
Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 AM

They have different promos all the time. Keep in mind that if a company wants to promote new product and they have existing product it is a great marketing strategy.

IE: Sharp wants to move their Blu-ray players. So, I believe it is Circuity City, if you buy a Sharp LCD display (one of three advertised) you get $200+ mail in rebate AND a free Sharp Blu-ray player.

Instead of Sharp giving $500 off - or something - they give a free player (maybe $200 cost) and $200 off, so the consumer gets an even better deal, and gets pushed towards Blu-ray.

Once again - CE support showing why it is so phenomenally important and why the end of the format war = increased CE competition and lower prices, not higher prices.

When MORE companies are making similar products, they will find more and better ways to improve production efficiencies and reduce costs. When the entire market is focussed on one product, then more major parts makers will make the chips that all companies will need and prices will drop as they compete for business.

Ten years ago a decent line doubler (480i to 480p) cost upwards of $10,000. Now a full level scaler runs a few bucks and is included in almost all displays.