All this talk about how superior Blu-ray is...where's the beef? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

Default All this talk about how superior Blu-ray is...where's the beef?

Wow did I really just use the "where's the beef" phrase.....

Anyway, I keep seeing all these quotes and people from this board hyping up blu-ray with the "it's so superior" junk but what's funny is that you can't really back it up. I mean the two formats are neck and neck in both PQ and SQ yet you guys go on and on about how much better BD is.

I say prove it....

Only advantage I see is more studio support....other than that you guys need to do more than just keep repeating the same old "it's so superior" crap and show me. Truth is I will be happy to change sides if I get better PQ with blu-ray but that's not the case at all......why pay more for the same thing?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:42 PM

I can think of one...because their studios are actually releasing titles, no matter how crappy they are, at least they are releasing them.

-TK

Last edited by MfumeRising; 02-23-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfumeRising View Post
I can think of one...because their studios are actually releasing titles, no matter how crappy they are, at least they are releasing them.

-TK
Starting on March 27th, the HD DVD releases are "beefing" up again.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSC View Post

Anyway, I keep seeing all these quotes and people from this board hyping up blu-ray with the "it's so superior" junk but what's funny is that you can't really back it up. I mean the two formats are neck and neck in both PQ and SQ yet you guys go on and on about how much better BD is.

I say prove it....

Only advantage I see is more studio support....other than that you guys need to do more than just keep repeating the same old "it's so superior" crap and show me. Truth is I will be happy to change sides if I get better PQ with blu-ray but that's not the case at all......why pay more for the same thing?
who cares what's superior? Do you really think regular consumers can tell the difference in PQ or SQ between the two? Consumers don't care which disc can hold more data. The majority of consumers can care less about special features. I do not know of a single friend, co worker or family member who has ever watched a special feature. The format with the best content (blu ray) and the best prices (hd dvd) will win. Unfortunately, neither format is leading both those categories.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:

I say prove it....

It has superior data rate and capacity. I have been investigating whether this is a visible difference or not on a reference system. You can find my numerous posts on this if you wish. But the short answer is for my CRT front projector I do see a noticeable improvement with discs that take advantage of the higher bitrate.

The extras argument is a wash in my mind. Mandated extra processor to avoid a kludge to do PIP at this time is balanced by the additional capacity for HD extras and Lossless PCM audio tracks which is something I enjoy during the movie rather than after the movie. BDj also allows for its own brand of cute extras such as mini games.

Last edited by kali; 02-23-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:21 PM

The beef is in Wendy's hamburgers. Why are we talking about beef on a media format mesage board? Go out and eat a damned burger!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post
It has superior data rate and capacity. I have been investigating whether this is a visible difference or not on a reference system. You can find my numerous posts on this if you wish. But the short answer is for my CRT front projector I do see a noticeable improvement with discs that take advantage of the higher bitrate.
Still trying to pass yourself off as a reviewer, I see. First of all, to have any credibility as a reviewer you need to show lack of bias, and you fail at that royally. All of the respected reviewers that I know of give pretty much equal rankings in PQ between the 2 formats. Superior data rate and capacity is pretty worthless if it does not deliver consistenly better quality.

I have both a PS3 and A1 and both deliver excellent PQ - I think anyone who claims that either has better pq than the other is simply uttering rubbish - it is so obvious that both have the capability to deliver top-notch video quality that I find the whole argument is silly at this point.

In AQ, the PS3 has an advantage in number of titles released with lossless audio (that is in the US, In Europe, all of Canal+ releases include lossless audio and many even include 24/96 audio which blows away most of the Blu-ray releases).

However, as a recent purchaser of a PS3, I have learned to my chagrin that the support for higher quality audio on receivers without HDMI by Blu-ray is abyssmal. Something that I took for granted on the A1 and had assumed was supported by Blu-ray came out and bit me on the ass. The A1 will take any audio channel, including PCM or TrueHD and convert it to 1.5Mbps DTS. The quality is damn near equal to the Analog 5.1 outs. On the other hand, even though the Blu-ray discs contain PCM, they cannot be output over the optical at all other than in stereo PCM. So the only option on most Blu-ray discs is to listen to the 640Kbps on HD DVD standard DD tracks (even the 640Kbps DD+ tracks have the potential to carry better quality audio). This is much inferior to listening to the 1.5Mbps DTS output by the A1.

Last edited by Blurry; 02-23-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

The thing is you can't directly compare some of the best Blu-ray titles because they're not on HD DVD. Some VC-1 and AVC encoded titles on Blu-ray exceed the HD DVD bandwidth allotment, however.

Besides the studio support, the CE support is way larger.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
The beef is in Wendy's hamburgers. Why are we talking about beef on a media format mesage board? Go out and eat a damned burger!
You fail miserably in the wit department.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
You fail miserably in the wit department.
No, that would be you.