i guess toshiba is not giving up after all! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2008, 04:08 AM

Angry i guess toshiba is not giving up after all!

http://www.hddvd.com/go.php/toshiba-...he-next-phase/

According to this article, Toshiba refuses to just give up and is going to keep at this format war. This is really getting annoying. Being one of the many consumers who dropped hd dvd for blu-ray after the warner announcement, i feel very annoyed to hear this news because i made my switch while being confident that the format war was in fact over. I do not think this will help hd dvd and im sure many will look at as a fire sale but this will only prolong hd dvd's funeral. Whether they like it or not, they are dead. I am dealing with the money i blew on hd dvd so why can't toshiba just do the same and move on! Let's end this format war so i can finally start going shopping and getting a ton of new releases every tuesday as opposed to one or two. Once one format picks up with consumers, then we can see a flood of movies coming from the studios. I sure hope something is brewing at Universal and Paramount right now!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essamfhs View Post

According to this article, Toshiba refuses to just give up and is going to keep at this format war. This is really getting annoying. Being one of the many consumers who dropped hd dvd for blu-ray after the warner announcement, i feel very annoyed to hear this news because i made my switch while being confident that the format war was in fact over. I do not think this will help hd dvd and im sure many will look at as a fire sale but this will only prolong hd dvd's funeral. Whether they like it or not, they are dead. I am dealing with the money i blew on hd dvd so why can't toshiba just do the same and move on! Let's end this format war so i can finally start going shopping and getting a ton of new releases every tuesday as opposed to one or two. Once one format picks up with consumers, then we can see a flood of movies coming from the studios. I sure hope something is brewing at Universal and Paramount right now!
Already posted twice already, but ya they're sure being sore loser
Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gorilla View Post
Already posted twice already, but ya they're sure being sore loser
Not in comparison with the BDA fanboys being bigger sore losers althought the BDA is/was intended to win.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:

I guess you as some others on this site made a poor choice in jumping the gun. I guess the Blu FUD made you think something that just wasn't true. I feel bad for you. but on the other hand, I am very happy with this. Toshiba just got a few respect points from me. By standing buy there product and customers, all HD DVD owners will feel allot better and have faith again. With pricing like this, you can expect allot of under $100 sales this year. Thats going to be many new HDM customers.

I feel bad that you feel like you blew your money on HD. I myself made an investment for my own personal enjoyment and have never regreted it.

You know this kinda reminds me of the scene in The Matrix when Agent Smith(Sony) sends Mr. Anderson(Toshiba) across the Subway station. Mr.Anderson takes a moment to wipe the cobwebs from his mind. Wipes off the blood on his lip and gets back up and waves Agent Smith on to come back for more.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycoSerenity View Post
I guess you as some others on this site made a poor choice in jumping the gun. I guess the Blu FUD made you think something that just wasn't true. I feel bad for you. but on the other hand, I am very happy with this. Toshiba just got a few respect points from me. By standing buy there product and customers, all HD DVD owners will feel allot better and have faith again. With pricing like this, you can expect allot of under $100 sales this year. Thats going to be many new HDM customers.

I feel bad that you feel like you blew your money on HD. I myself made an investment for my own personal enjoyment and have never regreted it.

You know this kinda reminds me of the scene in The Matrix when Agent Smith(Sony) sends Mr. Anderson(Toshiba) across the Subway station. Mr.Anderson takes a moment to wipe the cobwebs from his mind. Wipes off the blood on his lip and gets back up and waves Agent Smith on to come back for more.
It will be interesting to see just how far they are willing to subsidize this stuff - if it isn't just inventory clearing (which it may be). Someone mentioned periodic $50 sales.. why not $12 sales, since it's essentially a proprietory format?

HD DVD can't win - no CE in their right mind will try to chase a chance at joining Toshiba in a loss making venture; and they need more than just themselves - but they can do HDM some amount of damage (in terms of dragging things out) if they are willing to subsidize and subsidize and subsidize (and promote) to the bitter end. I hope to god they don't - if HD DVD was in the position Bluray was in re:sales and studio support, i like to think i'd be similarly a realistic (the bigger picture) the other way, as well - but they may well try to.

Last edited by snp; 01-14-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 AM

"You know this kinda reminds me of the scene in The Matrix when Agent Smith(Sony) sends Mr. Anderson(Toshiba) across the Subway station. Mr.Anderson takes a moment to wipe the cobwebs from his mind. Wipes off the blood on his lip and gets back up and waves Agent Smith on to come back for more."

Nice analogy. Of course, Bluboys wont get it because they cant run the matrix on the hardware since it isnt finalized yet.

Oh man, im going to take some heat from that one!

I kid of course BD fans, I am format neutral. But I like HD DVD more.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycoSerenity View Post

Great movie, great analogy.

Kudos!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 AM

Well it seems that now they are more in "harm Blu-ray and help maintain DVD mode" rather than winning anything. The way they've started promoting DVD upscaling on their players, saying its almost as good as full HD is very telling.

I look forward to seeing this FUD tactic fail just like all before it.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 AM

Universal / Paramount will follow where the money is. That much is guaranteed.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Well, that'll put the cat among the pigeons! It'll be interesting to see what effect it has. The danger for Toshiba is that their advertising campaign increases awareness of HDM, but when people actually start doing their homework, or get to the store and look at the discs available, they decide that HD DVD isn't the way for them to go. (There are precedents: a Nescafé Gold Blend advert in the Eighties, for instance, resulted in a dramatic increase in sales of instant coffee in the UK, but unfortunately for Nescafé, sales of Gold Blend barely budged.) Or it could throw the future of HDM once again into the realms of uncertainty and doubt.