Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    jed
    jed is offline HDD Founder

Default Universal Re-Affirms HD DVD Support

Responding to published reports that its commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended, Universal has issued a new statement of support for HD DVD.

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.

Graffeo's comments follow a report in yesterday's Variety that Universal's agreement to exclusively support HD DVD had ended and had not been renewed. The report went on to speculate that both Universal and Paramount could switch sides soon, ending the high-def format war instantly.

A Universal spokesperson told us this afternoon that the studio plans to issue new upcoming HD DVD title announcements in the near future.

The HD DVD Promotions Group is also said to be planning its own statement regarding the rumors of a Universal switch to format neutrality.
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...D_Support/1362

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

Well at least that sounds like some good news.
    = 649(64.0%)
    = 365 (36.0%)
    Last : UHD-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

Good news? I'm HD DVD exclusive at the moment but that is not good news. The only good thing about dragging the format war out is that maybe it'll force a price war in which I can get a Blu-ray player for much cheaper than I would. Still though, I think this is bad for HDM at this point.

Spideybat is offline Member

Very good news!
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
    My HD list.

The market is miniscule right now. It wll be years, if ever, before it gains wide acceptance.
    = 649(64.0%)
    = 365 (36.0%)
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2

Jimbo976 is offline Member

"current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format"

The events of the last few months have shown that "current plans" mean nothing and nowhere in that statement did he say they would not release movies on Blu-ray.

A whole lotta nothin'.
    "There will not be a 400 dollar ps3. God, that's like the titanic running into another iceberg... Stop your FUD."
    Treadstone

galleren is offline Member

Well it's gonna be interesting to see the HD-DVD Promotions Group statement. Unless they have a studio exclusive or two to announce (which i seriously doubt will happen) they shouldn't really bother.

Time will tell if they are just as spiteful as many of the HD-DVD fanboys are. Imagine Hitler coming out his bunker in Berlin during the Russian assault, saying "We are still going strong and we have the resources to keep going, securing our victory in the end". Such a sad thought.
    Home Theater Setup
    TV: Pioneer Kuro LH5090Speakers: Front: 2 x Cerwin Vega V-12f, Back: 2 x Cerwin Vega VE-5m, Center: 1x Cerwin Vega VE-5c Receiver: Denon AVR-1908 Playback: HTPC & PS3 Gaming: Xbox360, Xbox, PS3, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast & PSP

JAG1977 is offline Member

It's over, they're embarrasing themselves with transparent statements that don't contradict reports they will support Blu-ray AS WELL as HD-DVD.

Liqwid is offline Member

I think I will be buying two Universal titles today, like I did for Paramount yesterday.
    Sony Playstation 3
    Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on
    Movie Collection
    : LiqwidZero
    : LiqwidZero

Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    The market is miniscule right now. It wll be years, if ever, before it gains wide acceptance.
    I do agree there. Even though it's obvious that Blu-ray is/will be the winner of this format battle, I don't think Blu-ray will be able to overtake DVD unless they stop making upconverting players, and as someone else mentioned, put lower quality encodes on DVD's so that it's not as easy to upconvert them.

Roshan is offline Member

How many hd dvd supporters think hd dvd will out right wn within 1-2 years?
    They don't care about the consumer. HD dvd only shot of doing anything is just prolonging the war. Universal IF hd dvd cant win why support it?

Blinx123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo976 View Post
    "current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format"

The events of the last few months have shown that "current plans" mean nothing and nowhere in that statement did he say they would not release movies on Blu-ray.

A whole lotta nothin'.
    You won't find a company not putting the "current" line in every announcement.

BTW: Albert Einstein is the one to blame for this. It's part of his Theorie Of Relativity.
    PSN/XBL: BLINX1234

Bernie 2016!

Interim Project Leader @ Platinum Arts

Currently working on the next generation of Platinum Arts Sandbox.
    An easy to use, multi-platform gaming engine for Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux (next generation console releases TBA)

I expect them to support BD at some point this year, but hopefully they continue to support HD DVD too.
    = 649(64.0%)
    = 365 (36.0%)

polyh3dron is offline Banned

"Current plans" means no switch to BD right now, but possibly an hour from now, or tomorrow, or the next day, or a week from now.

I'll just quote winstonshu:
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
    Not only is the word "current" conspicuously present in the statement, the word "exclusively" is conspicuously absent.
    The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate.
    --Craig Kornblau, (President, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment), February 19, 2008

Wil Wheaton says: Don't be a dick!

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast