WB Should put their money where their mouth is!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 05:50 PM

Default WB Should put their money where their mouth is!!

If WB made this move to ensure the future of an HDM format, why don't they offer a trade-in program. Trade in your HD DVD for the Blu-ray version. I think that would only be fair and would accomplish their goal.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

Why? Did your HD-DVD player break already?

All the red fanboys say their players are not obsolete as long as their players still work... Now you want the studios to pony up because you picked the wrong format? You guys should decide if HD-DVD is obsolete or not!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM

This was already suggested by Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits on Friday.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Why? Did your HD-DVD player break already?
don't be silly HD-DVD'ers keep telling us that thier HD-DVD players won't stop working after a certain date that they can still enjoy thier movies...

that said I don't see why Warner has to do a darn thing they didn't force them to buy into HD-DVD and they aren't forcing them to buy Blu... it's the choice of the people and some people made a wrong choice... they are now going to enjoy thier HD-DVD movies on thier HD-DVD player.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta-guy View Post
don't be silly HD-DVD'ers keep telling us that thier HD-DVD players won't stop working after a certain date that they can still enjoy thier movies...

that said I don't see why Warner has to do a darn thing they didn't force them to buy into HD-DVD and they aren't forcing them to buy Blu... it's the choice of the people and some people made a wrong choice... that are now going to enjoy thier HD-DVD movies on thier HD-DVD player.
They didnt force them, but they told them a very short time ago that they had not plans to support one format over the other. Also they put a $100 plus box set out in order to make as much $$ possible before the move, and to boot did it right before Xmas. They mislead the public. They made people feel safe buying HD DVD for Xmas, then changed their tune a week later. I am sure they knew then. A decision like this is not made over night. And HP sold 1:1, so i do not buy the "carefully looking at sales" but.

Anyway, I am neutral so this doesnt effect me, but I feel it was bad timing. They should have done it before Xmas, or mid '08
Old 01-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
If WB made this move to ensure the future of an HDM format, why don't they offer a trade-in program. Trade in your HD DVD for the Blu-ray version. I think that would only be fair and would accomplish their goal.
Why should they?

A compensation is what WB have announced: a flexible time frame for all interested parties to adjust buying habits accordingly. That would be: May 31, 2008.

Pro-B
Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Yet you just responded to the bladerunner thread saying...

Quote:
I haven't seen any, but to answer your question[trading in for free blu copies], I'm perfectly happy keeping my copy of Blade Runner on HD DVD and plan on continuing to purchase HD DVDs as I want.
You are just stuck in a personality conflict now that you fanboys have nothing to say about your format anymore other than "Go download t0rrentz!"

hilarious
Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuff247 View Post
They didnt force them, but they told them a very short time ago that they had not plans to support one format over the other. Also they put a $100 plus box set out in order to make as much $$ possible before the move, and to boot did it right before Xmas. They mislead the public. They made people feel safe buying HD DVD for Xmas, then changed their tune a week later. I am sure they knew then. A decision like this is not made over night. And HP sold 1:1, so i do not buy the "carefully looking at sales" but.

Anyway, I am neutral so this doesnt effect me, but I feel it was bad timing. They should have done it before Xmas, or mid '08
Blu-ray consistently outsold HD-DVD, when it came to just the warner titles Blu-ray out sold HD-DVD there too, the only people who felt safe buying HD-DVD had already bought into HD-DVD and weren't going to listen to anyone who said otherwise... I mean I wouldn't feel safe buying into a format, that hadn't won a single week the entire year... Warner knew that 2 formats wasn't good for HDM, so they moved...

Atleast you get 5 months warning, when Paramount switched we didn't even get a weeks notice we lost out on blades of glory and transformers... so HD-DVD fanboys stop complaining...
Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't be fair at all. Trade-in program implies some fault on the studios part. You know better. You have to accept responsibility for your own actions as an early adopter. However, discounts on the purchase of a new BD player and/or new software might be a good way to welcome HD DVD owners wanting to go purple.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM

I am still happy purchasing HD DVDs. All I was saying is it would be an instant shot in the arm for Blu-ray support if they offered a trade-in program.