Why Neutral Comapnies don't go Exlusive? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Why Neutral Comapnies don't go Exlusive?

Well this is a question i have had for a while and i want some answers.

Everyone says Universal is gonna go Neutral right , but why would they even bother ? They know Sony , Fox and Disney won't be doing this , right? So wouldn't they just say they will stop HD DVDs and move on to Blu-ray. And why Does WB and Paramount continue support for HD DVD if it is dead , why not just drop hd dvd and go to blu-ray and that is it war is over.

Everyone keeps speculating this and that , but the truth of the matter is no one knows jack shit.....
Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 PM

At least we have something to talk about.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:30 PM

Dropping a format now would be bad PR. I cannot see Warner making this move simply because they seem so focused on trying to keep everyone happy at the expense of stretching out the fight.

I could see Paramount going this route. Their the one neutral studio that seem to try to get the best out of both formats and that makes extra work and expense for them which they could save by dropping the loser. Also their recent disks have looked better on BD because they are using BD50 and really jacking the bitrate.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Dropping a format now would be bad PR. I cannot see Warner making this move simply because they seem so focused on trying to keep everyone happy at the expense of stretching out the fight.

I could see Paramount going this route. Their the one neutral studio that seem to try to get the best out of both formats and that makes extra work and expense for them which they could save by dropping the loser. Also their recent disks have looked better on BD because they are using BD50 and really jacking the bitrate.
Ohh yess much better!!!

From Babel Review

"The film is presented in 1.85:1 widescreen and 1080p video. Quite unusual for Paramount, this HD DVD release is encoded in AVC MPEG-4, while the Blu-ray is MPEG-2. Being able to compare all simultaneously, and given the grainy texture of the film, there is scant difference between the two high-def versions."

I could post the reviews for all of Paramounts films if you'd like. Or would you care to take the high road and cut out the bs?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:

This could be the reason that Fox removed 6 or so movies from there schedule. They were converting them to BD50 and jacking the bitrate for quality reasons.

If Universal goes Neutral ( likely could happen ), I believe that Neutral companies will be dropping HD DVD - until then its likely not to happen. Also its not likely that a major Blu-ray will be going neutral unless some thing drastic happens. Last year I didn't thinks so - this year I believe definely.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
Ohh yess much better!!!

From Babel Review

"The film is presented in 1.85:1 widescreen and 1080p video. Quite unusual for Paramount, this HD DVD release is encoded in AVC MPEG-4, while the Blu-ray is MPEG-2. Being able to compare all simultaneously, and given the grainy texture of the film, there is scant difference between the two high-def versions."

I could post the reviews for all of Paramounts films if you'd like. Or would you care to take the high road and cut out the bs?
You will likely not see much differences from neutral companies. I take you word on this movie, I am not planning to watch it.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
Ohh yess much better!!!

From Babel Review

Thats interesting. I had a chance to compare the HD vs BD versions of We were soldiers without knowing which was which. That is I let the other person pilot and I just looked at the images without knowing which player was playing. The diffrence were very minor. However, minor they may be, they did exist. VC-1 washed away some small amounts of the textures on the surfaces that the BD version captured. I have not seen Bable, I can believe AVC will do a better job than VC-1. I will reserve judgement until I see it.

Its not a big diffrence and you have to look very closely to see it. That does not mean it doesn't exist. Much like the lossless vs compressed audio. Most people won't notice a diffrence. Those with a critical eye or ear will.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Its not a big diffrence and you have to look very closely to see it. That does not mean it doesn't exist. Much like the lossless vs compressed audio. Most people won't notice a diffrence. Those with a critical eye or ear will.
I have heard with the right reciever - uncompress audio makes a big difference. Even so much I planning on switching my Harmon Karmon to HDMI reciever once 1.3 is available and I like the unit.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:55 PM

No company is gonna screw over existing consumers while the iron is still hot.

If Warners or Paramount suddenly decide "well, screw them! Blu-Ray supporters will get our money now!", while they're still selling 5,000 on both fronts... it wouldn't be smart at all.

They're selling 10k on both formats combined, why go down to 5k? Why leave existing customers with a bad impression of your business practices by jumping-ship while they're still willing to fork over cash on a format that at this point hasn't quite reached the "point of no return" when it comes to its marketshare?

Is HD-DVD dead? No. Is HD-DVD dying? Possibly. Soon? Who knows. But at this point, jumping ship is tantamount to telling consumers "we could care less about your money".
Old 02-18-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
No company is gonna screw over existing consumers while the iron is still hot.

If Warners or Paramount suddenly decide "well, screw them! Blu-Ray supporters will get our money now!", while they're still selling 5,000 on both fronts... it wouldn't be smart at all.

They're selling 10k on both formats combined, why go down to 5k? Why leave existing customers with a bad impression of your business practices by jumping-ship while they're still willing to fork over cash on a format that at this point hasn't quite reached the "point of no return" when it comes to its marketshare?

Is HD-DVD dead? No. Is HD-DVD dying? Possibly. Soon? Who knows. But at this point, jumping ship is tantamount to telling consumers "we could care less about your money".
Ahem! I heartly agree with you on that.