So is it a sure thing that Blu-ray is here to stay long term? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Default So is it a sure thing that Blu-ray is here to stay long term?

I was never planning on ever getting a blu-ray player, let alone even supporting the format. But now if we want to watch HD movies in the long haul, we really have no choice. I just want to see what you guys think - is Blu-ray here to stay long term? Will it become the staple of next gen media? Or do you think theres still a good chance that it will fail within the next...I dont know, 2yrs, 3, 4yrs? Obviously the biggest rival to Bluray now is DVD. I only want to invest in another format if I know forsure its here to stay and not get washed away like HD DVD did. So can someone reassure me?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Watcher of stances

it's fairly safe on multiple accounts, mainly the PS3.

crackpots will tell you downloaded HD will be the next thing, but physical media isn't going anywhere. especially when the very same people just bought 50+ HD DVD's.
sour grapes is all.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM

I think the WB decision cements the fact that Blu Ray will be the dominant movie format for the foreseeable future. No one can predict how long that will be but I am sure it will meet the 2-4yr window you speak of. I too am a HD supporter but will wait for profile 2.0 for make the move.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 PM

well until a new HD format comes out, Blu-Ray isnt going to have any competition in the HD Movie format war.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

Blu-Ray is safe.... Mostly because of those millions of PS3's in circulation!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:15 PM

Biggest threat to Blu-ray is NOT high def downloads. It's upconverted DVD. If the CE companies really want Blu-ray to succeed, they'll stop making upconverting players other than Blu-ray players. They need to go back to progressive scan players so that when a customer walks through the store, they can easily tell a difference between a DVD and Blu-ray on the TV's.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM

You will know it's safe once the BDA can drop SA player prices to under $150.00 or better yet $100.00 That's when they can replace the old DVD line with a BR line that still plays SD DVDs.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Blu-Ray is safe.... Mostly because of those millions of PS3's in circulation!
This is true no matter if the Warner decision was the other way. Warner probably new this and part of there decision.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:25 PM

First of all, I am not a "crackpot." Secondly, in the age of electronic media, we can expect HD downloads to become the next-in-line competitor to bluray discs. Otherwise, these forums would dry up as we need something to talk and argue about. Regardless, SD DVD is going to remain in first place for overall disc sales.

Don't expect Toshiba and Microsoft to take the WB decision lying down either. The coming days and weeks will reveal all.

Last edited by onePIMPSLAP; 01-05-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Biggest threat to Blu-ray is NOT high def downloads. It's upconverted DVD. If the CE companies really want Blu-ray to succeed, they'll stop making upconverting players other than Blu-ray players. They need to go back to progressive scan players so that when a customer walks through the store, they can easily tell a difference between a DVD and Blu-ray on the TV's.
True except for the fact that all Blu-Ray players upconvert SD-DVD's. Not to mention the fact that all HDTV's take the 480i/p signal from non-upconverting DVD players and upscale them to the TV's native resolution. In short, you are not going to be able to keep people watching their SD-DVD's upscaled! DVD will die... eventually.... How long did it take DVD to kill off VHS? 7? 8 years?