Disk Space: Does anyone know how much space is being used by movies on both formats? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Disk Space: Does anyone know how much space is being used by movies on both formats?

Interesting question, I have seen post talking about Transformers and Alexander and people saying that you could not fit lossless sound or the whole movie on one disk due to lack of space. I can't think of any problems like this on Blu-ray (please post if there is). But in order for this arguement to be valid we need to know how much space was actually used right? We can't just assume that Transformers would not fit a lossless track, or that Alexander would not fit on one disk. Just because movies are listed as being released on a BD-50 disk or HD DVD 30 disk that they are actually using up all that space.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 PM

If it would fit, they would have used it. Based on paramounts previous releases on blu, it can be assumed that a Transformers release would have had a lossless soundtrack.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown-D View Post
Based on paramounts previous releases on blu, it can be assumed that a Transformers release would have had a lossless soundtrack.
You mean all the Paramount Blu-ray releases that included only a 640 kbps Dolby Digital track as the best audio track? A few of them had 1.5 mbps DTS, but that's as high as Paramount ever put on a Blu-ray title. Really, they're not much better for HD DVD either, as they seem to be content with 1.5 Mbps Dolby Digital Plus on almost all their titles. They have like 2 or 3 HD DVDs with lossless audio on them as well. Paramount doesn't seem to be a big fan of TrueHD, to say the least.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
You mean all the Paramount Blu-ray releases that included only a 640 kbps Dolby Digital track as the best audio track? A few of them had 1.5 mbps DTS, but that's as high as Paramount ever put on a Blu-ray title. Really, they're not much better for HD DVD either, as they seem to be content with 1.5 Mbps Dolby Digital Plus on almost all their titles. They have like 2 or 3 HD DVDs with lossless audio on them as well. Paramount doesn't seem to be a big fan of TrueHD, to say the least.
Yeah... Paramount is really lazy with their HDM releases as far as audio is concerned. I am still confused as to why my copy of Phantom of the Opera on BD has a 640k DD track but the HD-DVD version has a TrueHD....