New York Times Article: Most People Don't Care About Format War!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 AM

Default New York Times Article: Most People Don't Care About Format War!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/business/31dvd.html

www.nytimes.com

I think this is pretty obvious to most people on here, but still it's always cool when mainstream media have articles about the "war."

NOTE: If you get a page that says you must register, just go back to MAIN page of NYTimes and scroll down to TECHNOLOGY and look to click on article from there.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 AM

This is the part what I like (or should I say agree with)

The HD DVD camp is playing up its new interactive features, believing that the next generation of viewers wants to combine TV viewing with video games.

In Universal’s just-released HD DVD of “The Bourne Ultimatum,” viewers can play a game that tests their memories, and then upload their results using a broadband connection to a Web site and compare their scores with others.

Viewers can also find character dossiers, watch “Webisodes” with the Volkswagen Touareg sport utility vehicle featured in the film, and create playlists of their favorite scenes and share them with friends.

Those features will do little to increase sales, said Richard Doherty, an analyst with the Envisioneering Group. The market consultants’ surveys show that just 3 percent of consumers want interactivity, he said.

Not alot of people like extras, like myself, I prefer the PQ and SQ to be preferential on a disc. Fair enough, some people may like Behind the scenes, web interactive content etc, but to me and many others, it's not all that important.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 AM

jaydoy, in reference to your sig...

do you mean Enchanted or Uncharted?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedChampion View Post
jaydoy, in reference to your sig...

do you mean Enchanted or Uncharted?
Sorry my bad, Uncharted, although I liked Enchanted. Thanks for the notice.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoy View Post
This is the part what I like (or should I say agree with)

The HD DVD camp is playing up its new interactive features, believing that the next generation of viewers wants to combine TV viewing with video games.

In Universal’s just-released HD DVD of “The Bourne Ultimatum,” viewers can play a game that tests their memories, and then upload their results using a broadband connection to a Web site and compare their scores with others.

Viewers can also find character dossiers, watch “Webisodes” with the Volkswagen Touareg sport utility vehicle featured in the film, and create playlists of their favorite scenes and share them with friends.

Those features will do little to increase sales, said Richard Doherty, an analyst with the Envisioneering Group. The market consultants’ surveys show that just 3 percent of consumers want interactivity, he said.

Not alot of people like extras, like myself, I prefer the PQ and SQ to be preferential on a disc. Fair enough, some people may like Behind the scenes, web interactive content etc, but to me and many others, it's not all that important.
I must be the minority because I enjoy all the extra features. Obviously,
PQ and AQ are very important to me too. If studios expect people to
pay $25 to $35 for a movie they better bring more to the table than
just PQ & AQ.

In fact, when I have company over I make it a common practice to
show what the new hi def formats are capable of. Most of my guests
leave very impressed.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:42 AM

Every single person I have asked has said they would rather be able to watch HD on-line trailers rather than the stupid ones they put on discs.

Clearly people do want on-line connectivity. The problem is most people don't know what that even means or what it can do for them.

I should add that several were blu supporters who first said on-line connectivity is worthless, but then replied, "yeah, actually that would be cool".
Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 AM

How about this!!! Most people don't know there is even a format war! Heck there are even people here in this forum that doesnt know there is a 3rd format!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETMIC View Post
I must be the minority because I enjoy all the extra features. Obviously,
PQ and AQ are very important to me too. If studios expect people to
pay $25 to $35 for a movie they better bring more to the table than
just PQ & AQ.

In fact, when I have company over I make it a common practice to
show what the new hi def formats are capable of. Most of my guests
leave very impressed.
There is a small minority. Alot of people don't watch or use extra features. Don't forget $25-$35 for movies won't be the norm for good. the format is new, just like DVD was overpriced, when it was new, and that was barebones discs. If the absence of features mean less cost for a disc, and better PQ and SQ, then I will have that. If people want to pay a premium for extras, then so be it. I personally am not an extras person, and can do without.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

I read the consumer indifference as another reason the war needs to end.

The article didn't offer any real concrete news though, but I'd imagine both sides want to see that 11% reach at least 30%.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 AM

Nothing really new, but in general I don't have any major disagreements with anything said. My opinion is that the tipping point in hi-def vs SDVD will come when movies start only being released on hi-def (or at least hi-def first). I think that was also a big part of what drove consumers away from VHS. But I think that day is likely years away.

The other thing (as the article points out) is to get many more consumers to buy 50"+ 1080P TVs. Otherwise, upscaled DVDs look about as good as HD.

I'm just thankful that most new movies (at least big ones) are released on some hi-def format. I suspect it will be a good 3-5 years before there is a majority of catalog movies converted.