Region Coding Survey - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: What do you think of Region Coding?
I dislike Region Coding. It is an advantage for HD DVD. 35 60.34%
I like Region Coding. It is an advantage for Blu-ray 2 3.45%
I think HD DVD should incorporate Region Coding. 3 5.17%
I think Blu-ray should discard Region Coding. 12 20.69%
I do not feel Region Coding matters in this Format War. 10 17.24%
I could care less either way about Region Coding. 11 18.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2007, 06:42 PM

Question Region Coding Survey

One of the perceived advantages of HD DVD is it does not have region coding. You can play any disc in any player. I wanted to inquire if anyone thought there were any benefits to region coding? Does anybody like region coding? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Don't care, and as Harako has mentioned a lot, Japan and US have same encoding if you are interested in Japanese titles.

For Hd dvd owners, probably adds some value after they lose the war. For blu-ray owners, won't matter one bit.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

Studios like region coding. The MPAA likes region coding.

If you ask a consumer on the street if they like region coding you're just going to get a bunch of blank stares.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
Studios like region coding. The MPAA likes region coding.

If you ask a consumer on the street if they like region coding you're just going to get a bunch of blank stares.
Please add the option, I don't like region coding and it is not an advantage for either format as both support it (although currently not used on HD DVD) and it is far less restrictive than the nonsense we have on SD DVD.

Cheers
Christy
Old 02-12-2007, 06:54 PM

I hate it and hope it goes the same way as region coding on DVDs went here in Sweden, or even better that studios drop it completly. All DVD players here are region free.

There were stores selling region 1 DVDs here in Sweden I bought a lot of them. Hollywood and the swedish distributers stopped this even if the movie wasn't available here in Sweden in region 2. Therefore I only have the five first seasons of MASH on DVD. I could import the rest by myself but just because I got angry I got the missing seasons through "other channels"...
Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 PM

SD dvd region encoding means squat. If you wanted, you could just copy a region protected movie on to a dual-layer dvd with no loss in quality and no region encoding.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post
Please add the option, I don't like region coding and it is not an advantage for either format as both support it (although currently not used on HD DVD) and it is far less restrictive than the nonsense we have on SD DVD.

Cheers
Christy
Nothing has been finalized with HD DVD region coding by the DVD forum, and it would not affect all HD DVD titles already released if it ever was. Therefore, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that being an applicable option.

Last edited by james; 02-12-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Nothing has been finalized with HD DVD region coding by the DVD forum and it would not affect all HD DVD titles already released if it ever was. Therefore, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that being an applicable option.
Wow, James, respectfully disagree, you sure changed your tune with a certain female poster. Good job.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz123 View Post
Wow, James, respectfully disagree, you sure changed your tune with a certain female poster. Good job.
I give any new person in the smackdown forum a hard time, if I don't agree with their opinion, but I am, ultimately, a nice guy.....
Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I give any new person in the smackdown forum a hard time, if I don't agree with their opinion, but I am, ultimately, a nice guy.....
Hey I'll take improvements in behavior any way I can get 'em;-)