Insider info: Disney's free BD50 contract with BDA ends January 08 - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Insider info: Disney's free BD50 contract with BDA ends January 08

Just thought that this insider information needs a thread of its own. Apparently, some insider revealed that Disney has authored at least oneTL HD DVD test disk. He also revealed that part of the deal for Disney's exclusive support to BD is free BD50 disks but the contract ends January 2008. This is consistent with other reports that Warners and Paramount were/are behind Disney in BD's limited BD50 supply.

Quote:
We know that Paramount and Dreamworks will be HD DVD exclusive for another 12 months. There is no way to change that.

Disney, FOX, MGM, and Lions Gate are all capable of switching on January 1st.

Universal is capable of switching on January 1st.
Quote:
I know for a fact that Disney has authored test TL discs complete with HDi. So they're obviously prepared for a move. It doesn't mean they will.
Quote:
Paramount went to HD DVD when their contract for BD50 subsidization ran out. Disney's runs out on the 1st. Currently they don't have a new contract in place. To their credit they've had HD DVD TL titles authored. This makes it look like Sony has to really pony up for their services.

I'm not dumb enough to not realize it could be a ploy for negotiations. It could be just like when a coach at some school goes and talks to another school when all he wants is a raise.
Now debate people DEBATE !!

Last edited by xboxboi; 12-24-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 PM

So, in essence, another gossip monger thread. Where's the substance, facts, and data to support everything?

Unreal.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Proof?????
Old 12-23-2007, 07:17 PM

Did anyone really doubt these studio's have been getting subsidized discs? Nothing surprising here. Disney isn't switching yet. We still need to do more here on the red side. I hope I can afford to buy more, and find good movies to buy. There weren't many good films in my book during 2007, so I am hoping for some good catalogs.

Besides, Disney doesn't make much I am interested in owning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post
Just thought that this insider information needs a thread of its own. Apparently, some insider revealed that Disney has authored at least oneTL HD DVD test disk. He also revealed that part of the deal for Disney's exclusive support to BD is free BD50 disks but the contract ends January 2008. This is consistent with other reports that Warners and Paramount were/are behind Disney in BD's limited BD50 supply.

Now debate people DEBATE !!
Is the insider HDNOW? or one of his multiple anonymous insider sources?

I'ld be surprised if Disney went neutral before Fox did but crazier things have happened.

Didn't know about Disney working with TL51 by means of making a test disk. Maybe they are considering neutrality... Who knows, but I doubt it, at least come CES.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:20 PM

There is no doubt the relationship between Disney and the BDA is strong enough to extend this deal if Disney wishes. I think everyone is in bunker mode with the exception of WB. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by The BJD; 12-23-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:22 PM

Have they tested their test disc in a HD DVD player that is on the market? We still have not heard any word that these will be able to work. It has been months since the spec has been approved and almost a year since they said they were thinking about TL51.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post
We still need to do more here on the red side.
I could have egg on my face for this but, assuming you do not in one fashion or another work for Toshiba or the HD group or any studio within, that one line sums up why there are so many arguments, name calling and childish behavior.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BJD View Post
There is no doubt the relationship between Disney and the BDA is strong enough to extend this deal id Disney wishes. I think everyone is in bunker mode with the exception of WB. Just my 2 cents.
Disney free of contractual obligation to BDA means that they are open to temptations from the HD DVD promo group

like it or not, all studios must admit that HD DVD is here and ready NOW. The format is ready for 8mil sales per week NOW if required. The same CANNOT be said about BD. Therefore, HD DVD is the best choice for contract free studios.
Closed Thread