Blu-ray's top 25 selling movies have sales rank in the top 1000 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Blu-ray's top 25 selling movies have sales rank in the top 1000

For the first time ever Blu-ray's top 25 selling movies have a combined sales rank on amazon in the top 1000.

Salesrank of top 25 products:

Blu-ray HD DVD
973.64 1740.36

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/
Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 PM

Wow, the difference in rank between HD-DVDs top 2 products are somewhat alarming.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 View Post
For the first time ever Blu-ray's top 25 selling movies have a combined sales rank on amazon in the top 1000.
Excellent news zzap64. Good work.

I was starting to wonder why the numbers for HD DVD were surging lately, however, they have come back down to earthly reality as of this weekend.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:58 PM

It's really impressive how big the difference is between some titles released on both, for example Superman Returns HD-DVD @ 2,897 vs Blu-ray @ 487. These are titles that were released at the same time on both, so I think it's an indicator of new Blu-ray growth as new adopters are buying into it.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I'm still amazed that both formats have movies ranking in the 20's. I don't know exactly (nor do I care) how amazon figures out their rankings but I'm surprised that such new formats with so few players are selling so well compared to DVD's with milions and millions of owners.
i dont get it either because for example, when Pirates 2 came out, it sold 5 million copies the 1st week.

I believe they were saying Crank was one of the best selling Blu-ray ina month and if im not mistaken at like 7,500 sold? again, I might be mistaken but if that is correct...then its like
Old 02-11-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
i dont get it either because for example, when Pirates 2 came out, it sold 5 million copies the 1st week.

I believe they were saying Crank was one of the best selling Blu-ray ina month and if im not mistaken at like 7,500 sold? again, I might be mistaken but if that is correct...then its like
My guess is its because Amazon is more popular for the new HD formats than for DVD. It's the cheapest source and quite well known amongst us early adopters. DVD on the other hand you can get them fairly cheap in many places not just Amazon.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:41 PM

The more I read about the Amazon charts the more bored I get of it. Especially when blockbuster titles like the PotC movies sneak on and effectively mess up the numbers we actually seek - real unit movement! The only thing I've been really interested in is The Departed on both formats because it is coming out in a couple days and that makes it a little more indicative sales wise as to what format is doing what. Of course since they've been in a near stalemate - I am led to believe that the formats are still 50/50.

Of course Amazon is not the only store in the world so I patiently hope we actually get to see sales numbers on the title. Please... someone help us see the light one way or another.

Before anyone says oh oh oh but The Departed isn't out yet how can you watch that but be mad about PotC - It becomes obvious, when AAA title after AAA title start popping up for online pre-order all of a sudden, that communities like this one are being watched a little too much by the players in this game. If the respective associations know we are basing "whos winning" on Amazon sales rankings, then they know that it is easy to tilt the numbers their way a little bit.

Thats not Blu-Ray hate either honestly since available BR titles are outselling HD DVD titles by a good margin on Amazon - I just have to laugh when movies 3 months away are in a formats top 6 sold.

Last edited by gcounterman; 02-11-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcounterman View Post
I just have to laugh when movies 3 months away are in a formats top 6 sold.
Exactly the same has happened with both formats several times over. We're just seeing the hardcore fans making such early pre-orders on both formts. I put more faith in the rankings of titles already released as a better indicator of the wider market.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
Exactly the same has happened with both formats several times over. We're just seeing the hardcore fans making such early pre-orders on both formts. I put more faith in the rankings of titles already released as a better indicator of the wider market.
Oh I know, I swear I wasn't bashing anyone in the face - just laughing at the situation at this time.

I also put faith in titles already out. Like I said though, even in that matter Blu Ray is putting on a good show at the moment. I believe part of it is the PS3 surge - but even I know it can't ALL be linked to that.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
I would say retail is a better indicator, sadly we don't have a similar metric there. Its also an indication how much more popular same day and date releases are vs catalog titles. I won't buy any new movie on SD if I think I will be able to get it on HD. However, I am not likely to replace a catalog title like 'Failue to launch' since I already have the SD and ungrading it isn't worth the effort.