Local Movie Gallery - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-16-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Local Movie Gallery

I just got back from Movie Gallery in Central Florida area. They stated they are due to receive HD DVD and Blu ray stock to rent in the first month or so of the new year. Can't complain with that.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:43 PM

nice, I use Netflix but I like Movie Gallery, I usually get games from there.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

I thought ever since Blockbuster chose Blu, brick and mortar rentals were going the way of the dinosaur?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Great news for HD-DVD
Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 PM

Hell good news for both. I just will be renting red
Old 12-16-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFan View Post
I thought ever since Blockbuster chose Blu, brick and mortar rentals were going the way of the dinosaur?
Netflix (not "blu") has had a detrimental effect on traditional video stores, to put it very mildly. But some of us are still making a good profit. Depends on the dynamics of each market. I can say that Movie Gallery is hurting bad! The worst decision ever made in this industry, perhaps, was the purchase of Hollywood Video by Movie Gallery.

The industry took a huge downturn right after that purchase, which (lucky me) was also about the time I incurred lots of debt opening my second store. As it turned out, however, once Blockbuster ramped up their prodigious marketing, our first store was suddenly too close to a Blockbuster. Fastforward... now only our second store is open - and, as mentioned, doing well.

Anyway, we just started renting Blu-ray exclusively. We currently have over 100 titles. This site, along with IMDB, has been, and continues to be, a major help in choosing which Blu-ray titles to purchase. They are actually renting better than I expected.

I like Blu over HD for many reasons personally. For me it's pretty simple, I support the more ambitious technology, with the better specs, and the most potential to be a solid competitor to movie downloads over the long term. This war is probably deciding our last major packaged home video format. Let's get it right!

But from a business point of view the scratch resistance is just about all that matters in my desire for Blu to win. DVDs have been an absolute nightmare! So many scratches! Almost ALL DVD scratches are simply surface scratches, which we spend much time and money buffing out (no need to grind some of the DVD off to fix the disk). I presume the vast majority of such scratches, which prevent DVDs from playing properly if not buffed, would not even be scratches with Blu-ray. Time will tell...

BDV rents Blu-ray exclusively! HD DVD would have to win the war and gain a major portion of the home media market for me to rent that format.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDVrentsBlu-ray View Post
But from a business point of view the scratch resistance is just about all that matters in my desire for Blu to win. DVDs have been an absolute nightmare! So many scratches! Almost ALL DVD scratches are simply surface scratches, which we spend much time and money buffing out (no need to grind some of the DVD off to fix the disk). I presume the vast majority of such scratches, which prevent DVDs from playing properly if not buffed, would not even be scratches with Blu-ray. Time will tell...

BDV rents Blu-ray exclusively! HD DVD would have to win the war and gain a major portion of the home media market for me to rent that format.

I've rented at least 20 HD DVD movies and have noticed the normal wear and tear and have yet to have any problems watching these movies. I know Blockbuster sell their disc after two or three months to avoid these problems. If you expect the rented discs to last for several months, more than likely, most disc would have a lot of scratches and gouges.

Since my discs are for my personal use, I handle my discs carefully as like most other people would and don't worry about the scratches.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Netflix (not "blu") has had a detrimental effect on traditional video stores, to put it very mildly. But some of us are still making a good profit. Depends on the dynamics of each market. I can say that Movie Gallery is hurting bad! The worst decision ever made in this industry, perhaps, was the purchase of Hollywood Video by Movie Gallery.

The industry took a huge downturn right after that purchase, which (lucky me) was also about the time I incurred lots of debt opening my second store. As it turned out, however, once Blockbuster ramped up their prodigious marketing, our first store was suddenly too close to a Blockbuster. Fastforward... now only our second store is open - and, as mentioned, doing well.

Anyway, we just started renting Blu-ray exclusively. We currently have over 100 titles. This site, along with IMDB, has been, and continues to be, a major help in choosing which Blu-ray titles to purchase. They are actually renting better than I expected.

I like Blu over HD for many reasons personally. For me it's pretty simple, I support the more ambitious technology, with the better specs, and the most potential to be a solid competitor to movie downloads over the long term. This war is probably deciding our last major packaged home video format. Let's get it right!

You are a shill. Shills are the worst. Jack and Jill went up a Shill to fetch a pail of water. When they found none, in stuck their thumbs and pulled out a plumb, but none were the wiser.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I like Blu over HD for many reasons personally. blah blah blah me me me me
Thanks for sharing the most long-winded and uninformative story in this thread.

Here's a hint for the future, so you don't have to type so much: People do not care what you do or why you choose what you choose. It's not out of anger or rivalry or anything like that, it's to keep the forum in order. If you have a proclamation of your allegiance, do it in the "why I went blu/red" subforums. But those of us, reading smackdown, for the most part don't care what your store rents out and for what reason.

On topic with this thread, what's with all they "hey guys my local _________ is doing ________________" threads as of late? I thought people got the hint last time the mods purged these threads, but I guess not.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Default moviestop

anyone who lives on the east coast should try to find a MovieStop near them, i work at one in richmond and we have the best selection of DVDs, HD-DVD's, and Blu-Rays in central Virginia. i know that sounds cheesey but there are used bluray/hd movies for 15-20$ and they are all guaranteed forever. I used to be HD only but one of my customers sold me his old bluray player and now i have 3 times as many bluray movies. bust trust me MovieStop has the best selection of all movies cause we dont rent we just trade and sell all dvds/hd's and blurays, there are over 30,000 movies alone just in the store i work at. i hope this doesnt sound like an advertisement cause it is not supposed to be.

on a side note bluray does seem to be winning but i dont really care because now that i have both formats it is just a matter of which one i have to plug in to play the movie.