PS3 selling 200k per week in Europe - solidifies overseas dominance of Blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Banned

Default PS3 selling 200k per week in Europe - solidifies overseas dominance of Blu-ray?

Quote:
The PlayStation 3 outsold the Wii for the first time in Japan last month, after Sony cut prices and offered a cheaper model, Tokyo-based research firm Enterbrain Inc. said in November.

Stringer today said the company sells about 200,000 PlayStation 3 consoles in Europe each week, and 40,000 to 50,000 in Japan. It also sold more than 200,000 in the U.S. following ``Black Friday,'' the day after Thanksgiving.
This, combined with the recent data showing PS3 software having strong performance in the UK, is good for it as a gaming platform, but also for Blu-ray. HDM sales are less than in the U.S now, but Europe is a key market for format success and will surely play a critical role in corporate decision-making. And with Toshiba ignoring it, Blu-ray is just pushing further ahead.

Interesting times.

Edit; link - http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...4RE&refer=asia
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM

waits for HD DVD response: European sales dont matter...Format war will be decided in the US...sales are so low over there, it won't make a difference...

mmm. I think I am becoming psychic(sp??)...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM

I just want to clarify something. There is a difference between selling 200k "per week" and selling 200k "last week". The per week indicates some level of consistency and stability. For example, there was a week where the 360 sold 50k units in Japan. I wouldn't be able to say they are selling 50k "per week" because right after they went back to their average levels of 8-9k per week.

This is Christmas time after the PS3 has had a HUGE drop in UK pricing. In the UK, Dec 10th is one if the most stressful and busiest times of the year (apparently according to the survey on the news). Wait and see what the sustained sales end up at before you go proclaiming this to be the stranglehold on HD DVD, and ESPECIALLY be careful considering this is the PS3 and not a dedicated player.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamz View Post
waits for HD DVD response: European sales dont matter...Format war will be decided in the US...sales are so low over there, it won't make a difference...

mmm. I think I am becoming psychic(sp??)...
No, you're becoming a troll.

Quote:
(6)Trolling is not allowed. Posts that say absolutely nothing (and/or are intended simply to provoke other people) will be removed, and action will be taken (i.e. 1st troll post = warning, second troll post = 1 point... see 'Warning System' below)

There is no substance to this post, and it does nothing but make you look silly. If you have facts or ideas to share, we encourage you to do so. If all you want to say is how much you hate the other format... DON'T!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
I just want to clarify something. There is a difference between selling 200k "per week" and selling 200k "last week". The per week indicates some level of consistency and stability. For example, there was a week where the 360 sold 50k units in Japan. I wouldn't be able to say they are selling 50k "per week" because right after they went back to their average levels of 8-9k per week.

This is Christmas time after the PS3 has had a HUGE drop in UK pricing. In the UK, Dec 10th is one if the most stressful and busiest times of the year (apparently according to the survey on the news). Wait and see what the sustained sales end up at before you go proclaiming this to be the stranglehold on HD DVD, and ESPECIALLY be careful considering this is the PS3 and not a dedicated player.
How many HD DVD players have been sold in Europe though? 10K, 20k, 30k? If 20-30% of PS3 owners are using it for BD playback, 200K BD players in a week equals approximately 50K HD DVD players sold in one week (assuming 25% of PS3 owners use it to watch BD movies). I don't think Toshiba has sold 50K players in Europe since inception. And that is just 1 week of PS3 sales. I just don't see HD DVD making up that ground right now.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
How many HD DVD players have been sold in Europe though? 10K, 20k, 30k?

(Inception to July 2007, in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and UK.)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
How many HD DVD players have been sold in Europe though? 10K, 20k, 30k? If 20-30% of PS3 owners are using it for BD playback, 200K BD players in a week equals approximately 50K HD DVD players sold in one week (assuming 25% of PS3 owners use it to watch BD movies). I don't think Toshiba has sold 50K players in Europe since inception. And that is just 1 week of PS3 sales. I just don't see HD DVD making up that ground right now.
One has to really wonder if worldwide numbers play into the Warner decision @ all. It could be just a focus on US numbers... that's definitely possible.

If you look worldwide, it is no contest...
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The problem with the PS3 is the same problems no matter the time. Studios don't want to depend on it and there's no guarantee that if you own a PS3 you'll ever use it for Blu-rays. The point that there are so few standalones for both sides means that the PS3/UMD connection is all that much stronger. Blu-ray is much more strongly tied to gamers in those markets.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomba View Post
This, combined with the recent data showing PS3 software having strong performance in the UK, is good for it as a gaming platform, but also for Blu-ray. HDM sales are less than in the U.S now, but Europe is a key market for format success and will surely play a critical role in corporate decision-making. And with Toshiba ignoring it, Blu-ray is just pushing further ahead.

Interesting times.

Edit; link - http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...4RE&refer=asia
LOL...PS2 sold 30M worldwide, so these nos. is pathetic compared to the previous one. sorry to burst your bubbles, but BLU-ray is an afterthought in these markets, we are talking about "gaming" market here not "movies". You can try twist it anyway you want, but the markets are clearly "separate"..LOL..
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
No, you're becoming a troll.
call it what you want, but if you think an HD DVD fan boy would not post any of these as a response, you are sadly mistaken...