Cheap player vs. Cheap discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Cheap player vs. Cheap discs

With the advent of all these pricing wars, here's something to think about, which camp has it right?

HD DVD: Cheap players will encourage people to buy movies.
The A2/A3 sale does little to motivate existing HD owners to buy more movies, but how many people buying the A2/A3 will buy full price movies?

Blu-ray: Cheap movies will encourage people to buy players.
The BOGOs sales encourage existing customers to buy more movies, but does it do anything for fence sitters on BD players?

Thus far, it seems that neither side is changing positions much. HD leads in player sales, and BD leads in disc sales.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Banned

what they need to do is REALLY lower the HDM pricies on movies, not stupid BOGO offers. the BOGO offers on both sides seem like cheap attempts to inflate disc sales numbers out of desperation.

Instead of doin BOGO's on movies that retail for $35, why not just lower all the movies to $19.99 MSRP and that way people don't have to buy from certain studios, and in even numbers, in order to obtain a discount.

What if theres only 1 movie i want? I am forced to buy a 2nd movie i may not want in order to take advantage of the discount or I pay $35 by itself. Just lower the MSRPs on both side n stop the BS
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
With the advent of all these pricing wars, here's something to think about, which camp has it right?

HD DVD: Cheap players will encourage people to buy movies.
The A2/A3 sale does little to motivate existing HD owners to buy more movies, but how many people buying the A2/A3 will buy full price movies?

Blu-ray: Cheap movies will encourage people to buy players.
The BOGOs sales encourage existing customers to buy more movies, but does it do anything for fence sitters on BD players?

Thus far, it seems that neither side is changing positions much. HD leads in player sales, and BD leads in disc sales.
While I agree that this is the dilema facing HDM, the fact that those looking to buy BD will be a little more prepared to spend the cash to buy the movies. I don't think this is the same case when J6P buys an A2/A3 and realizes the discs can cost as much as $30.

The advantage BD has is that while it's consumer is more likely to expect the high prices the BOGOs make buying movies that much more palatable. Hence, why disc sales on BD continue to outnumber HD-DVD.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Banned

CEs need to make new cheap players.
Studios do not need to make new cheap movies. They already have that.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpho View Post
what they need to do is REALLY lower the HDM pricies on movies, not stupid BOGO offers. the BOGO offers on both sides seem like cheap attempts to inflate disc sales numbers out of desperation.

Instead of doin BOGO's on movies that retail for $35, why not just lower all the movies to $19.99 MSRP and that way people don't have to buy from certain studios, and in even numbers, in order to obtain a discount.

What if theres only 1 movie i want? I am forced to buy a 2nd movie i may not want in order to take advantage of the discount or I pay $35 by itself. Just lower the MSRPs on both side n stop the BS
You're really not forced to do anything, unless you have proof the BDA has put a gun to your head. The BOGOs are a great deal since I pick up movies I would never have picked up otherwise. So in essence BVHE made an excellent move by doing this.

Now, what you really wanted to say is why doesn't Uni/Para/DW lower their HDM prices to $19.99. Then I would agree with you. It seems the criticism comes from something you are unable to partake which kills your original argument.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Purple Avenger8or View Post
CEs need to make new cheap players.
Studios do not need to make new cheap movies. They already have that.
DVD's did not decrease in price so fast. What we have is an artificial deflation on players by Toshiba. While I agree that I would like to see cheap players, I am also realistic and realise that new tech has it's high prices.

50% for BD in a year is unprecedented as is $98 for an A2 HD-DVD. Be happy that prices are where they are due to healthy competition.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice X View Post
You're really not forced to do anything, unless you have proof the BDA has put a gun to your head. The BOGOs are a great deal since I pick up movies I would never have picked up otherwise. So in essence BVHE made an excellent move by doing this.

Now, what you really wanted to say is why doesn't Uni/Para/DW lower their HDM prices to $19.99. Then I would agree with you. It seems the criticism comes from something you are unable to partake which kills your original argument.
The reason I own as many movies as I do now is because of the BOGOs. Normally, I buy DVD titles when they hit the $15 mark (ie. usually 1st week releases at Best Buy), but I'll never buy them at full price. But with these BOGOs, they're the same price, if not cheaper, and I'll gladly pick up titles I was on the fence about. I'm not sure what the prevailing mentality is, though.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
The reason I own as many movies as I do now is because of the BOGOs. Normally, I buy DVD titles when they hit the $15 mark (ie. usually 1st week releases at Best Buy), but I'll never buy them at full price. But with these BOGOs, they're the same price, if not cheaper, and I'll gladly pick up titles I was on the fence about. I'm not sure what the prevailing mentality is, though.
No, I totally agree with you. This is why I participate in BOGO sales myself. My post was in reference to Balpho's criticisms of an event He/She can not participate in when they are 100% an HD-DVD supporter that doesn't even know what they are talking about.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
"What if theres only 1 movie i want? I am forced to buy a 2nd movie i may not want in order to take advantage of the discount or I pay $35 by itself. Just lower the MSRPs on both side n stop the BS
Do the BOGO's at Fry's, most of the time you can just buy one movie regardless of how the sale is worded
Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM

The BOGO is getting old because it is the same movies for the most part. How about promoting some BOGO on new releases? Not gonna happen, but yes, that would push sales...instead of pushing movies that have been out for quite a bit.