DVD Forum approved "HD DVD China" (CH DVD) logo; Blu-ray still pursuing China - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 AM

Talking DVD Forum approved "HD DVD China" (CH DVD) logo; Blu-ray still pursuing China

Notes: HD DVD (or CH-DVD in China) is currently the national standard in China. The Chinese government officially adopts HD DVD as the national format back in September. See here if you missed it.

Quote:

DVD Forum unveiled the new logo for the Chinese version of the HD DVD format today, as it was decided in the organization's 40th Steering Committee meeting.

Highlights of the meeting include the introduction of the new logo for the devices/media that will conform with the CH-DVD (China High Definition DVD), the Chinese High-def DVD format based on the HD DVD standard.

The list of the approvals also include the following...

Full Article

At the same time, the Blu-ray Association continues to court China, hoping that the Chinese government will reverse its decision and back Blu-ray:
Quote:
A news blurb on Warren Communications News website reports that the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is continuing to court China with regards to adopting the Blu-ray standard. The BDA is proposing to include China in the current Blu-ray spec, rather than develop a new China-only spec as rival HD DVD has.

Full Article
(And they have a snowball's chance in hell.)
Old 12-04-2007, 06:14 AM

So...we get to buy legal copies of HD DVD for like $3 each from China for use with HD DVD players here?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 AM

Actually, I have no idea what the rates of people buying high end gadgetry like hi-def hardware are like in China, but considering the size of the population, having HD DVD take china as opposed to Blu Ray, could effectively dwarf any other markets I'd have thought! Good sign for HD DVD! :-)
Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragovian View Post
So...we get to buy legal copies of HD DVD for like $3 each from China for use with HD DVD players here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-DVD

"CH-DVD (China High Definition DVD) is a high definition DVD format announced in September 2007 by the Optical Memory National Engineering Research Center (OMNERC) of Tsinghua University in China. Its format is compatible with those of HD DVD and can be played in a HD DVD player and vice versa. Its developer claim the format contains more copy protection features and is part of a big push by China to fight piracy."

2 things 1. if wikipedia is correct that there is more copy protection on CH-DVD then HD-DVD that tells me that China will love BD+ if they chose to go for BD...

2. with additional copy protection this could cause incompatibilities with HD-DVD players tho perhaps a firmware update might fix that, no way to know without more details on CH-DVD.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 AM

I very much doubt china would produce stuff that wouldn't work on HD DVD players in other countries. They may not want dodgy people copying hundreds of discs (and well and good, nobody does) but they'll also want a thriving export market, which HD DVD can basically offer them. Not saying Blu Ray couldn't either. Whatever format they went for, I very much doubt they'd put in copy protection that stops things being played outside china.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 AM

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=21863

http://www.betanews.com/article/New_...nge/1189196071
Quote:
Now, the DVD Forum's involvement has evidently made it possible for Chinese manufacturers to produce components that play blue-laser, high-def discs using the Chinese national standard, though which are fundamentally compatible with HD DVD with only minor adjustments.
Quote:
While it makes so-called CH-DVD players for the home market (the name is subject to change, the new consortium says), China can also produce HD DVD players for the rest of the world, at prices that can best be described as Chinese.
HD DVD Enters Chinese Market With The Foundation of China High Definition DVD Industry Association

Quote:
The realization of CH-DVD was supported by the Chinese government, and will pave the way for the localization of blue-laser, high-definition DVD in China.

CHDA is expected to play a leadership role in the promotion of CH-DVD, and will make a big push to launch CH-DVD player into the Chinese market in 2008
Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 AM

I would be surprised if CH DVD players for the Chinese market couldnt play HD DVD's as this would force ppl there to buy a HD DVD player too, if they wanted to play movies from other countries.

I cant see the studios, other than whats in China for the Chinese market, putting out CH DVD encoded discs.

Given the similarities between the two, I doubt this would be anywhere near as difficult or expensive as combo HD DVD/BD players.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 AM

China is probably the most prolific "Black-market" country in the world. If CH DVD becomes the standard over there (with an estimated population of just over 1.3 billion), then Toshiba will start to see an incrdible surge in support for their format. Not a good look for Sony I'm afraid.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
Actually, I have no idea what the rates of people buying high end gadgetry like hi-def hardware are like in China, but considering the size of the population, having HD DVD take china as opposed to Blu Ray, could effectively dwarf any other markets I'd have thought! Good sign for HD DVD! :-)
You haven't been to China lately have you? I am not talking about Beijing/Hong Kong exc.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 AM

I thought America was the only place that mattered?