BABEL picture quality for HD DVD 4 stars...Blu-ray 3 1/2 stars. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

Default BABEL picture quality for HD DVD 4 stars...Blu-ray 3 1/2 stars.

Front page review.

Just something I noticed....

If Blu-rays wins this war are we going to have to deal with lower quality all the time like this? If so what's the point of having a HD player at all?

So tired of seeing Blu-ray lack in both picture and sound quality. I'm not sure I would ever buy a BD player even if they did win the war.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 AM

You're tired of seeing Blu-ray lack in quality? I'm tired of reviews showing this:

Quote:
The film is presented in 1.85:1 widescreen and 1080p video. Quite unusual for Paramount, this HD DVD release is encoded in AVC MPEG-4, while the Blu-ray is MPEG-2. Being able to compare all simultaneously, and given the grainy texture of the film, there is scant difference between the two high-def versions.
...and then rating the two high-def versions differently.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
You're tired of seeing Blu-ray lack in quality? I'm tired of reviews showing this:

If one is better than the other why rate them the same? It is what it is.....and it is that blu-ray lacks quality. It's just a fact.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSC View Post
If one is better than the other why rate them the same? It is what it is.....and it is that blu-ray lacks quality. It's just a fact.
So tell me then what quality it is that Blu-ray lacks.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulium View Post

Back when doby was running his PQ/AQ averages, people brought up this point and it's still the case. The reviews are subjective. Comparing like titles is the easiest way to see the difference between the two, but sometimes you have to take the ratings with a grain of salt. If the MPEG-2 has a quality to it which was better presented in the VC-1, then while they may be comparable, the ratings would show a minor difference. These aren't technical ratings and they're not perfect, they just try to represent the material.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 AM

I have been in a two day fight on my own against an entire thread of Blu Ray owners about Hitchikers Guide. This was my exact point in the entire arguement. I had one HD DVD supporter respond in that thread and he told me I was on my own with this one. Its under the Blu Ray Killed Hitchhikers Guide thread. I feel pathetic for agueing for two day about this and now the HD DVD camp whats to bitch when another HD DVD title looks better. HD DVD"S reputation tells me they could have done better on Hitchhikers's and who know's how may others.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:18 PM

"This Blu-ray release is encoded in MPEG-2, while the HD DVD is AVC MPEG-4." AVC MPEG-4 (H.264) is superior to MPEG-2, what i don't get is why doesn't everyone use that?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicMX View Post
"This Blu-ray release is encoded in MPEG-2, while the HD DVD is AVC MPEG-4." AVC MPEG-4 (H.264) is superior to MPEG-2, what i don't get is why doesn't everyone use that?
Well, so far I prefer VC-1. Personally I think the Studios are brain dead to use MPEG-2, but it is cheaper to license and can give good result when it has enough Bandwidth (the main advantage to Blu-ray's additional storage space is they can use older less efficient codes, or raw PCM, so they don't need to worry about licensing fees).
Old 02-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Well, so far I prefer VC-1. Personally I think the Studios are brain dead to use MPEG-2, but it is cheaper to license and can give good result when it has enough Bandwidth (the main advantage to Blu-ray's additional storage space is they can use older less efficient codes, or raw PCM, so they don't need to worry about licensing fees).
Another advantage is that it can be encoded in realtime.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Banned

This review has been changed.

I always add the reviews to the PQ/AQ chart when they come up, checking every morning on each of the four sites I'm monitoring.

Babel received 4 stars for PQ and SQ on both of them. Someone has futzed something up here.

Look at Babel on Home Theatre Spot - they didn't even seperate the reviews as they found both discs to be absolutely identical.
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...?sequence=1843

Here is Jed's initial post on the Blu-ray version of Babel which you can follow here on this site at the bottom of the review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
It may not come out until February 20, but Paramount was nice enough to send us an advance copy of 'Babel' on Blu-ray, and Peter's review is now up. Despite some trepidation going in, Peter quite liked the film itself, and gives both the video and audio their props with 4 (out of five) stars apiece. Alas, with a trailer as the only included extra, seems like the studio is prepping this one for a double dip sometime soon, so buyer beware.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/babel.html
Someone has accidentally changed the review - they are identical.