Onkyo DV-HD805 HD DVD Player "Review" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Thumbs up Onkyo DV-HD805 HD DVD Player "Review"

This one looks like it's a winner and smokes all other Blu-ray and HD DVD players currently available. Seems like the HD-XA2 comes in a close second next to the Onkyo. Here is a mini-review from joerod over at AVS:

Quote:
Well, let me first start off by saying the entire front face is a very nice high gloss piano black. Very attractive. Now to what matters...

I will be 100% up front and honest here. I expected to open it and return it tomorrow! I really did. After spending a few hours though it has officially replaced my XA2 and A35 as the starter in my set up. It's true. It really has. I was stunned at how fast it loads. Its like Toshiba decided to wait and put the fastest load time on the HD805. Most HD DVDs that I put in loaded in about 10 to 12 seconds. Some even less! It is right up there with the Panasonic DMP BD30K. It may not equal it in load times but it is right there. That was a HUGE surprise.

Moving on to the HD DVD comparisons. Yes, it is the exact same menu as the XA2 and A35. Nothing different. It was a breeze to get going. I did forget about the button in the push open door on the front that requires you to select SD or HD output. So I compared them at 1080i/1080p60/1080p24... Now the interesting stuff. They should all have the exact same picture. Well, for some reason the HD805 has a sharper menu. I know that is no big deal but I found that odd. And all my displays were set the same exact way. It was not a huge difference but enough for me to take a second look. It was more noticeable with SD dvds which I will get to in a minute or two. Now playing the movies they all were pretty much the same. I did like the 1080i and 1080p pic Q slightly better on the HD805. For some reason there was less noise in the picture. My build date is October so it makes me wonder if they did a slight modification or two to the REON chip? I played the same exact scenes a few times just to make sure. It was ever so slight though so not enough to get crazy over. My 1080p/24 pic Q was great as well. Very sharp with hardly any noise. This unit was given some good parts because I tried like heck to get it to mess up. By mess up I mean show an error code or freeze or shut down. It wouldn't. It refused to disappoint me. I would have been very happy living with the XA2 or A35 but I am excited to put in the HD805 in my theater set up!

Now to SD dvds. Here is where it actually showed me something. SD dvds look clearer and are rendered with a little more detail. I think there is a XA3 in the works and I am willing to bet it will get the same modifications as the HD805. They obviously did something different with this unit. It is faster at responding, faster at loading and I am seeing a sharper image. Not to mention with all settings at minimum, less noise. And again not enough to throw your XA2 or A35 away but it does clearly show that a new player with these modifications will make a difference in the near future. I think if anything this is a positive for HD DVD. I truly expected the same exact performance of the XA2. I did get the same exact menu interface, cheaper remote and same back as the XA2. But from there I got much faster load times, faster responding, sharper images, less noise, and in my opinion the best looking HD DVD player to date. And of course this units biggest enemy is its pricing. If it were the same price as the XA2 I would choose it hands down over it. Heck, I would even pay a little more (which I just did)...

So I will keep my collector's special limited edition HD805... Who knows, maybe they are on to something... Something better!
Btw, according to Onkyo UK this player was not discontinued. For those interested ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo UK Customer Service
Many thanks for choosing Onkyo.

I don't know the origins of the rumours floating around the internet currently.

The actual facts are that we only brought a limited amount of this DVD player into Europe as our colleagues in the USA took the lion's share. It is a "when it's gone, it's gone" product, but we certainly aren't withdrawing it.

We are delighted with the performance of the player, and it is available at most of our key customers.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

David Anderson
General Manager
Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM

I guess it was needed to have it's own thread... I was fine with the info on the other thread but oh well.

As stated, it looks like the XA2 is in fact an HD805 but tweaked or redesigned to Onkyo's liking. It seems it is not a rebadged clone as many pointed out.

Let's keep this civil fellas...
Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
I guess it was needed to have it's own thread... I was fine with the info on the other thread but oh well.

As stated, it looks like the XA2 is in fact an HD805 but tweaked or redesigned to Onkyo's liking. It seems it is not a rebadged clone as many pointed out.

Let's keep this civil fellas...
How many projectors do you think Runco, Vidikron and Dreamvision make?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM

well I guess I'll just wait and get one on clearance since they have ALREADY apparently discontinued this model. Who knows what the hell Onkyo is thinking? Rebadge or not, it sounds like a very nice player.

Last edited by Arkadin; 11-27-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM

The only smoking being done here is by you. It's overpriced, and hardly available. Toshiba guts or not, that's the bottom line. J&R and B&H have it for 799.

Next.....
Old 11-27-2007, 01:03 PM

hope you're not referring to me.
the thread is about how this unit is supposedly "discontinued"
It's not according to the manufacturer. end of story.
next......
Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
hope you're not referring to me.
the thread is about how this unit is supposedly "discontinued"
It's not according to the manufacturer. end of story.
next......
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...&postcount=164
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM

ok ok. I see what you're saying now. uhhh ok maybe it is discontinued.
sorry.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 PM

No, it's not being discontinued according to Onkyo UK. Supplies are very limited, and once they sell out that's it for now, but the model is not being withdrawn/discontinued.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Well a minor tweaked player costing few hundred more worth it? Is this why most electronic companies are for blu-ray. when the player cost are probably very close. When the BD-j 1.1 player Panasonic DMP-BD30 player MSRP at $499.95 and should be found lower by the end of the year. While toshiba may not be losing much money do to economy of scale any other company trying to do that will have competition so they Will sell then half and not have the benefit from the previous sold players. So a smart CE would go blu-ray so they can sell players at a reasonable price. Also what good about blu-ray for CEs is that with BD-j1.O players not having feature of BD-j.1.1 and some slow java is that they can be on top of all the players out there now with out competing with players as of now.

While BD has the PS3 competition for sales PS3 will have higher prices when economy of scale kicks in for standalones. For a while the PS3 is the most obvious choice for the beginning of the war is will be losing its advantages soon enough for being a blu-ray player.

HD DVD -CEs will have a hard time selling player against toshiba and therefore making less so player prices cost more therefore selling less.

BD having the set 1080p is great for CEs so most players are targeted at the same group. So a medium end(quality) player will not just cost 100+ extra because it is 1080p.

With BD selling more non-sony players (PS3 and standalones) then hd dvd and toshiba's players the PS3 should not be as much of effect as toshiba undercut players. Even though its a low blow to hd dvd because all other player are mostly rebagged with extra cost or soon to be a minor change player except the cost it is still relevant.

Also getting other CEs to join hd dvd is a key goal for trying to win the format war