When HD DVD kills bluray in sales this week, will they still tout a 2-1 sales ratio? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-22-2007, 09:17 AM

Default When HD DVD kills bluray in sales this week, will they still tout a 2-1 sales ratio?

I imagine even if it's 2-1 hd dvd every week for the rest of the year, we will still hear how bluray is outselling 2-1.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 AM

I don't think HD DVD will outsell Blu-Ray this week. However HD DVD is making an impact and is gaining ground. That is saying alot considering how many PS3 players are out there.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:26 AM

There is no reason to think HD DVD is going to all of a sudden slaughter BD in sales. Don't get crazy.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:31 AM

If HD DVD wins this week, the Blu-Ray fanboys will complain that HD DVD cheated by having free titles with players. Of course they never complain about Blu-Ray buy-one-get-one-free sales.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
If HD DVD wins this week, the Blu-Ray fanboys will complain that HD DVD cheated by having free titles with players. Of course they never complain about Blu-Ray buy-one-get-one-free sales.
And the real hypocrisy is when the PS3 has it's little sale at Wal-mart with 10 (15?) free movies, that fact will be ignored all together.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:40 AM

Personally I don't see it happening.

I think BD will have the higher Disc figures for every week of this year.

Also from my understanding, the 'Free' discs with the players don't count in the sales figures as the barcode is not scanned at the 'point of sale'.

Did you put this on your wish list to Santa? "Please Please Please Santa let HD-DVD win for one week in the sales figures, I promise I will be good"
Old 11-22-2007, 10:09 AM

Well HD DVD is killing Blu-Ray standalones in sales. Blu-Ray is beating HD DVD in software sales. Both have wins so it's all good. Now if HD DVD does start outselling Blu-Ray discs and keeps up outselling Blu-Ray players then that will be a huge victory for HD DVD. Blu-Ray fanboys and supporters have bragged countless times so if HD DVD fans brag then they deserve it for all the crow they have ate.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:29 AM

Considering there is WAY more blu ray players on the market (remember ps3 is a blu ray player wether you want to admit it or not) and they are selling way faster than HD-DVD (sony has doubled its sales of PS3, WOW thats what i call "Momentum"). I would expect the trend to only continue in blu rays favor. The only "momentum" HD-DVD saw was the release of some of its only good exclusives transformers and shrek 3 and the droping of its prices on its players. I dont see them gaining any large part of the market this holiday season, in my opinion i think they will survive the holidays but loose some market share to blu ray.

Also who cares about standalone sales. If hd-dvd fails you are stuck with an upconverting dvd player. if blu-ray fails atleast you are stuck with a good gaming machine plus a hub for your digital photos, music and movies plus internet! To me this is a big sell, i dont care if my dvd can show a PIP, you call that a special feature? how about the ability to have something thats not just an average device, but something that raises the standard for home entertainment. i donno, to me the choice is obvious.

But feel free to talk yer shit.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drews_blunted View Post
If hd-dvd fails you are stuck with an upconverting dvd player. if blu-ray fails atleast you are stuck with a good gaming machine plus a hub for your digital photos, music and movies plus internet! To me this is a big sell, i dont care if my dvd can show a PIP, you call that a special feature? how about the ability to have something thats not just an average device, but something that raises the standard for home entertainment. i donno, to me the choice is obvious.
But feel free to talk yer shit.

I've already got a hub for my digital photo's music and movies, it's a new thing, just out, it's called a PC.

and if we were to compare the 'average' device with a PS3 in a blind test with a multi- format movie, I very much doubt that you would be able to tell the difference.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:46 AM

So HD DVD fans are stuck with an upconverting dvd player? I didn't realize if HD DVD lost that their HD DVD movies wouldn't play anymore, damn.

How is HD DVD an average devise and how does it not raise the standard of entertainment? If HD DVD hasn't raised the bar then Blu-Ray the sure hell hasn't because it hasn't been able to do any of the special features that HD DVD has since day one. This isn't shit talking as you said this is FACTS. If HD DVD is just an average devise that hasn't raised the standard of Entertainment what does that say about Blu-Ray which can't even or couldn't do the features that this average HD DVD format does? Damn fanboys.