Microsoft pays employees to modify Wikipedia Blu-ray/HD DVD Entries - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Microsoft pays employees to modify Wikipedia Blu-ray/HD DVD Entries

I've ran into this guy on several pages in wikipedia. He's the Program Manager in the HD DVD team at Microsoft.

Here you can see all of his modifications:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...ions/Petertorr

It's good to know Microsoft pays people to... umm.... get the facts straight.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibbled_bits View Post
I've ran into this guy on several pages in wikipedia. He's the Program Manager in the HD DVD team at Microsoft.

Welcome to last year, Didnt Sony get busted for this too? Wikipedia is a joke for 90% of its content.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptorr/archive/...a-editing.aspx
Quote:
Wikipedia editing

Short post: In the interests of full disclosure, I've started editing Wikipedia on various topics related to HD DVD. Initially I made several "anonymous" edits, but decided to create an account for transparency and so I can "watch" pages as they change.

Basically I am just posting this here so nobody "discovers" my edits in the future and claims this is some "hidden agenda" by Microsoft to "lend credibility" by faking "grass roots" spin. Whatever.

Anyway, I'll still be doing the majority of my posting ("Haha," some of you might say, "not so much lately!") on this blog. The Wikipedia editing is mostly about keeping the pages interesting, up-to-date, and accurate.
Published Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:43 AM by ptorr
OMG! You've discovered something that someone publicly stated! CONGRATS! Nothing like when people put their real name and disclosure behind what they say so that they can be held accountable to it. Let's see the last time Sony made a disclosure announcement like this.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 PM

Oh and I also like that one of his fixes was to clarify that BD-ROM Mark was not cracked as someone else had edited the entry to state (it's BD+ which was cracked, just in case you're confused). This man should be stopped!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:19 PM
O_o

Yeah he was open about it, another guy Mike openly edits Wikipedia of his own volition too. However of note, Sony did pay a marketing company good money to pretend to be 15 year old teenages hosting a fan site to promote PSP. Including such shady acts as creating faux YouTube clips, images and posting banners on various sites. Sony denied, denied, denied until the very end where the coveted and shameful tactic was exposed.

And lastly, I wish OP got their facts straight.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
Yeah he was open about it, another guy Mike openly edits Wikipedia of his own volition too. However of note, Sony did pay a marketing company good money to pretend to be 15 year old teenages hosting a fan site to promote PSP. Including such shady acts as creating faux YouTube clips, images and posting banners on various sites. Sony denied, denied, denied until the very end where the coveted and shameful tactic was exposed.

And lastly, I wish OP got their facts straight.
Viral marketing isn't something that's rare in the industry. Virtually every big studio in the industry does viral marketing nowadays for their big movies and/or TV shows. EA's done it, SEGA's done it, MS has done it (and does it all the time with Halo releases), hell... I don't think there's a business in the US right now that doesn't do it.

Sony does it frequently too (a good example of them doing it right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5mtKpYukLU - an Uncharted viral video), they made one huge screw up though witht hat one, but it's not like viral-marketing is some shameful, uncommon practice within businesses now.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Yea I also love how people at Sony changed the Halo 3 wiki. They must have seen the onslaught of sales that it was about to do

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-is-a...sm-42312.phtml
Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 PM

It's probably his hobby.

*writes "boobs" on Pokemon article"
Old 11-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodskur View Post
It's probably his hobby.

*writes "boobs" on Pokemon article"
Your Pokemans, will you show me them?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 PM

Wow, this guy gets paid to be a fanboy. So many people here would be jealous!