"If HD DVD ultimately won out, it wouldn't have much effect on Sony" -Howard Stringer - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Default "If HD DVD ultimately won out, it wouldn't have much effect on Sony" -Howard Stringer

What an arrogant, lying, pompous #[email protected]%#^. I didn't catch just what he was saying the 1st time I read his latest quote. I know i am an HD-DVD fanboy....but seriously...isn't there any bluray fanboy out there that sees this guy as an -censored-? despite what you think of hd-dvd, would you not agree that he fits the above mentioned adjectives and is far too stupid to head a company like Sony?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:36 PM

I thought this comment was pretty ignorant as well. Of course hddvd winning would affect Sony. He's a moron. How do you think that Blu-ray's supporting studios feel about his comments?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:37 PM

I think you're overreacting. He wasn't being arrogant at all. In fact he was quite honest and candid. Sony will be fine if Blu-ray folds. It's too huge a company to fall apart IF one division fails.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
I think you're overreacting. He wasn't being arrogant at all. In fact he was quite honest and candid. Sony will be fine if Blu-ray folds. It's too huge a company to fall apart IF one division fails.
They won't fold, but rest assured, it's going to hurt badly. You can't spend billions on a failed tech and expect the world to believe it's going to be nothing but "blue skies"
Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 PM

I thought the quote was him saying that the PS3 won't be effected too much if HD DVD wins, which isn't such a crazy notion.

Could be wrong, though, but I didn't think he was saying Sony as a whole wouldn't be effected.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:44 PM

He's not far off. If HD wins and BD fails as a movie format, Sony will still make BD the choice for games on the system. So as long as the PS3 is out there and games are being made for it, BD discs are being sold. Its the same as UMDs, while they never took off in a wide market way, they are still used for the PSP
Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM

It won't hurt as badly as you imagine. If blu-ray folds sony will get in on the HD DVD royalties as part of the 'deal' to fold blu-ray. And modifying their production process to make HD DVD players rather than BD probably won't be too costly either.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian451 View Post
What an arrogant, lying, pompous #[email protected]%#^. I didn't catch just what he was saying the 1st time I read his latest quote. I know i am an HD-DVD fanboy....but seriously...isn't there any bluray fanboy out there that sees this guy as an -censored-? despite what you think of hd-dvd, would you not agree that he fits the above mentioned adjectives and is far too stupid to head a company like Sony?
When VHS ultimately won out, it only energized Sony as a company. When Sony competed with Toshiba for a the DVD format, albeit behind the scenes, DVD winning out didn't effect Sony. The failure HD DVD fanatics attribute to Minidiscs and UMDs haven't stopped Sony from making massive profits year after year. How is this any different?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 PM

CEOs usually choose their words VERY carefully...especially for a press release such as this at such a critical time. i cant imagine him getting a semantic like this wrong...even being as stupid as i think he is. he is just reiterating the arrogance that sony has always shown about this format war.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

BD also has a future as a backup medium for data. So how is this guy wrong in what he is saying???