An honest question here... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-07-2007, 01:49 AM

Default An honest question here...

...if you're Warner... why don't you pick one?

Seriously, we all know that the two formats are turning HD-DVD and Blu-Ray into the 21st Century Laserdisc... so I gotta ask: "If you're Warner, why don't you end this?" They're big enough to tip it completely. If they go exclusive to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD it's over. We can all concede this...so why do they play both sides? They only lose money as their neutrality keeps so many on the sidelines.

If they went one way or the other (it makes no difference which way as the loyalties are so low right now) it would make them more than neutrality. They're the only studio big enough to tip it... so I just gotta ask, why don't they?

What do you think?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 AM

My guess would be they're holding out for a Paramount-type carrot.

Let the bidding commence...
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Banned

Probably cuz right now they wanna use their swaying power to get a high price tag. As it stands though, even if they go to one side, it'll still depend on how stubborn the other side/studios are about nuetrality before one format gets mass support
Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 AM

I just think of all the people (like me) who have had an HDTV for years (2001) and stayed on the sidelines because sony and toshiba couldn't friggin' get along. Because of the ridiculous deals on the 360 add-on (and the mistake at Best Buy giving away boxed sets) I had to jump in and got $2200 worth of product for under $600 after all the buying and trading and and whatnot - but would've been on board almost instantly if it wasn't for the war.

Every studio stands to make money hand over fist if the war ends, and Warner can do it singlehandedly (and get a payout like paramount - you know they were offered). I just can't think of a good reason why they don't choose a side in the next 6 months. It's financially irresponsible for them not to.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 AM

How is Warner losing money? They're making more then any other movie studio at this point by being on both formats and it isn't like they won't keep making DVDs
Old 11-07-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
How is Warner losing money? They're making more then any other movie studio at this point by being on both formats and it isn't like they won't keep making DVDs
They're losing money (like every studio supporting HD) because soooooooooo many people aren't interested in being part of this silly war. This board is so nuanced man. Even within the hobby! The numbers are incredibly low right now. Everyone loses with this war. And WB can literally end it. The increase in adopters would far outweigh the loss of either one of the HD camps and you know damn well us early adopters would buy the other format if one won.

...so again - there's no reason for them to stay neutral.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr View Post
My guess would be they're holding out for a Paramount-type carrot.

Let the bidding commence...
i think thats part of it, plus they are making money by selling to both sides, look at 300...sold very well for both, if they would have cut out HD or Blu, they would have lost sales
Old 11-07-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri View Post
i think thats part of it, plus they are making money by selling to both sides, look at 300...sold very well for both, if they would have cut out HD or Blu, they would have lost sales
You're missing the bigger picture. Whatever number they sold combined, they would've tripled if one of the formats DIDN'T exist. WB is so big, they can bury one of the formats. And when there's only one HD choice, and people aren't scared of buying a dead duck, ALL adopters will go one way.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:17 AM

They already have the capacity to manufacture both and it is a small market. It would be cheaper to keep the current path than to close production on either format. That is until one goes Beta.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:25 AM

Someone show me evidence that Warner loses money being neutral.