So you HDDVD fans really think.. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 AM

Question So you HDDVD fans really think..

That one day Blu-ray will fail and Sony Pictures/Columbia Pictures titles will be released on the rival format? Please...

It seems like not many companies have faith in the HDDVD format. Microsoft continues to deny reports have a Xbox360 with a built in HDDVD drive. Toshiba is still the only company selling HDDVD players. Unlike Blu-ray which has Sony, Pioneer, Samsung and Panasonic, making standalone players. Making HDDVD seem more like betamax.

Blu-ray still has the majority of studio support, including Sony/Columbia, who will never budge, has standalone players from more then 1 company, has outsold HDDVD every week in 2007, holds more, allows higher bitrates and transfer speeds, and has more players on the market.

Wouldn't it be easier just to have Universal Pictures and Paramount make that switch to blu-ray?

So, why should the underdog HDDVD be given a chance? Don't mention price because we all know that falls in time and it has.

Last edited by Hitman; 11-07-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 AM

Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 AM

It happened with VHS when betamax flopped, Sony titles were released...

But I don't think either BD or HD DVD will win any war. I think both will be niche markets and only those who adopt both will really win. Eventually a unified higher def media will come out that is superior to both BD and HD DVD combined. Hopefully by then, maybe 1o yrs from now, we won't have fanboys taking jabs as there will be only 1 format... or at least I hope so

Everything the OP mentioned has been said, resaid and spit out and said some more.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
That one day Blu-ray will fail and Sony Pictures/Columbia Pictures titles will be released on the rival format? Please...

It seems like not many companies have faith in the HDDVD format. Microsoft continues to deny reports have a Xbox360 with a built in HDDVD drive. Toshiba is still the only company selling HDDVD players. Unlike Blu-ray which has Sony, Pioneer, Samsung and Panasonic, making standalone players.

Blu-ray still has the majority of studio support, including Sony/Columbia, who will never budge, has standalone players from more then 1 company, has outsold HDDVD every week in 2007, holds more, allows high bitrates and transfer speeds, and has more players on the market.

So, why should the underdog HDDVD be given a chance? Don't mention price because we all know that falls in time and it has.
Universal saved HD DVD by staying in their corner earlier this year even though it looked like the war was basically over. And now, Universal has every reason to stick with HD DVD because HD DVD is now affordable to Joe Six Pack. I know because I bought a HD DVD player last night (10 free HD DVD's!). I'm watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas right now and it's got amazing quality, just like Blu-Ray has amazing quality (from what I have seen in stores). Right now, there are two studios that will not budge: Sony/Columbia and Universal. If Universal stuck around through those bleak times, then they will stick around till the end. It now seems to me that if BDA does not find a way to compete on price, they will lose.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:33 AM

Sony will budge when it hits their bottom line.

And why not mention price? *Right now* the consumer can get HD-quality DVD and 10 free movies for under $200. I don't care if BR is $300 this time next year, and neither does the average shopper who wants the technology *now*.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 AM

But who is really the betamax this time? Betamax was created only by Sony, unlike Blu-ray, which has several members in the BDA.

And in a sense, wouldn't HDDVD appear to be like betamax, since only Toshiba is releasing standalone players? While Blu-ray is being released by several different manufactures.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
But who is really the betamax this time? Betamax was created only by Sony, unlike Blu-ray, which has several members in the BDA.

And in a sense, wouldn't HDDVD appear to be like betamax, since only Toshiba is releasing standalone players? While Blu-ray is being released by several different manufactures.
The other thing about Betamax was PRICE. It cost less to get a 8 hour VHS tape than to buy two 4 hour Beta tapes. HD DVD owns Blu-ray on price. There's no doubt about that.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 AM

If tomorrow, all the exclusive movie studios released movies for both formats, which format do you think people would choose based on current factors?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
If tomorrow, all the exclusive movie studios released movies for both formats, which format do you think people would choose based on current factors?
No question, HD DVD. Get Pirates and Pixar with <$200 players vs. $400+ players. I think moreso than the PS3, the biggest trojan horse for BDA is Disney/Pixar. They have one of the most popular movie franchises ever and the best animation studio in the world.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
all movies
same PQ
same AQ

simple... HD DVD would win simply due to cost to the consumer