Best Buy is a total Blu-Ray backer in the NYC metro area.... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Best Buy is a total Blu-Ray backer in the NYC metro area....

I just visited the Best Buy in Midtown-Manhattan here in NYC, and the Blu-Ray rack is probably 3 times the size of the HD DVD rack. Also, the Best Buy at the Queens Plaza Mall (was there yesterday to pick up a Spiderman trilogy which was accidentally priced lower) and saw the same thing. The third Best Buy which I visit is in Westbury, Long Island. Same thing there. Also, two Targets I have been to have 2/3 of the movie rack for blu-ray, and HD DVD has 1/3. Yes, this has been posted before. But, it's kind of shocking that I see this much of a difference. Also, the 399 PS3 is right in the front of the store, and I saw at least 3 or 4 people on line within a few minutes, purchasing a PS3, and the stack was getting pretty low.

The reason why this is shocking, is that these particular locations do among the highest volume for each retailer. 3 Best Buys in the NYC metro area, and 2 Targets in the NYC Metro area.

Also, I was surprised to see how much Circuit City was backing blu-ray in Sunday's circular (NYC metro area) as well. I also (with a chuckle) noticed a Circuit City being built right next door to the Best Buy in midtown. Random.

Anyways, just a heads up for folks. I think these higher volume stores definitely make an impact.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:41 PM

I think this just reflects the current trend. I would imagine that if HD DVD software starts seeing higher sales as a result of all the hardware that's being purchased, Best Buy and other retailers will reflect that with increased and additional stock of HD DVD titles.

To the best of my knowledge, only HD DVD is seeing somewhat exclusive stock at some retailers, like Wal-mart. With the exception of the PS3 hardware.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Don't know why you're mentioning Target, the space they are giving up to BR has more to do with their deal with the BDA. In my area it's pretty much 50/50 at all retailers except for Target. I'm actually ashamed for posting this.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
O_o

nex, the store on 5th and 44th? I was just there two weeks ago, they had 50/50 from what I saw. Did they move the media back downstairs or is it still right when you walk in on the left side? Around the bend, there is another rack that had all Transformers and Heroes gift sets, but that may have been a promotional standee to promote those products.

Also where is the CC? I didn't even notice, I usually visit the one on 86th/3rd. A Target? We don't have one in Manhattan, I know you said metro but who even bothers going out to Queens? lol I'm only ever in Queens for JFK or LGA, other than that I don't go.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Another anecdotal BB thread, how utterly unsurprising....
Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

people lining up to buy PS3, after reading that, well lets just say I busted out.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
people lining up to buy PS3, after reading that, well lets just say I busted out.
It isn't as surprising as you think it is. I saw people buying PS3s here in Canada too.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueNorth View Post
It isn't as surprising as you think it is. I saw people buying PS3s here in Canada too.
People or Caribou?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
nex, the store on 5th and 44th? I was just there two weeks ago, they had 50/50 from what I saw. Did they move the media back downstairs or is it still right when you walk in on the left side? Around the bend, there is another rack that had all Transformers and Heroes gift sets, but that may have been a promotional standee to promote those products.

Also where is the CC? I didn't even notice, I usually visit the one on 86th/3rd. A Target? We don't have one in Manhattan, I know you said metro but who even bothers going out to Queens? lol I'm only ever in Queens for JFK or LGA, other than that I don't go.
That's where I just was this afternoon to pick up Pixar Short Films. Look at the difference in size between the two formats. There is a separate rack with discs too, and those are mostly blu-ray also. This doesn't include the big blu-ray stand with the players either.

The CC is being built right next store to the Best Buy. Take a look next time.

I'm only at the Queens mall because my girlfriend works in that area. That best buy = same story.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Another anecdotal BB thread, how utterly unsurprising....
Among the many we see here, which you should notice if you are here often.