Shrek won't be a very big release - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM
spicynacho's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,188
Default Shrek won't be a very big release

Heres why: most HD DVD owners are single adult males, very few families or people with children have bought into HD DVD because disney is Blu. Just check out amazon sales rank, while these numbers don't mean much, Shrek's sales rank is 111 a week away from launch with heavy advertising. Compare to Bourne which is at 68 with 5 weeks to launch. Considering that shrek had a box office draw of 320 Mil and Bourne made 220 Mil in the theaters, I think this points to a skewed demographic of HD DVD owners to general US population.

I predict that week 2 rat will top week 1 shrek.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicynacho View Post
Heres why: most HD DVD owners are single adult males, very few families or people with children have bought into HD DVD because disney is Blu. Just check out amazon sales rank, while these numbers don't mean much, Shrek's sales rank is 111 a week away from launch with heavy advertising. Compare to Bourne which is at 68 with 5 weeks to launch. Considering that shrek had a box office draw of 320 Mil and Bourne made 220 Mil in the theaters, I think this points to a skewed demographic of HD DVD owners to general US population.

I predict that week 2 rat will top week 1 shrek.


Care to post the link where you found out this amazing and thought-provoking fact....

I'm married, have two kids and own HD DVD. Besides, Shrek's humor is geared towards kids & adults. I don't know if it will outsell the rat (I'm getting both), but I do know your post is devoid of logic.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM
spicynacho's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Care to post the link where you found out this amazing and thought-provoking fact....

I'm married, have two kids and own HD DVD. Besides, Shrek's humor is geared towards kids & adults. I don't know if it will outsell the rat (I'm getting both), but I do know your post is devoid of logic.
www.eproductwars.com/dvd

I think you are probably the typical shrek HD DVD buyer, purple. Most people with a family, if they based there choice on availability of family friendly content, would buy blu ray first.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Ben's Avatar
Ben Ben is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,056
Default

Maybe you are right. Maybe you are wrong. One thing
is seem to notice is that HD DVD people take advantage
of Amazon's Pre-order more than Blu-ray people. I for
one can see no reason to pre-order. What is the
advantage? It's not like they are going to run out.

If there is an upcoming release I want, I just put
it in my Wish List. On Tuesday morning I place
all the ones that have changed from yellow to
orange in my Cart and process. If there is only
one or two I may wait until the next Tuesday
to process the order. But then I really don't
like to keep track of a bunch of orders or charges
to my Debit Card.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Liqwid's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,170
Default

I'm an adult.

I like funny animated movies.

I will buy Shrek the Third on HD DVD, because I didn't see it in the theatre, and I loved the first two.

My card will be split from usage by the end of the year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicynacho View Post
Heres why: most HD DVD owners are single adult males, very few families or people with children have bought into HD DVD because disney is Blu. Just check out amazon sales rank, while these numbers don't mean much, Shrek's sales rank is 111 a week away from launch with heavy advertising. Compare to Bourne which is at 68 with 5 weeks to launch. Considering that shrek had a box office draw of 320 Mil and Bourne made 220 Mil in the theaters, I think this points to a skewed demographic of HD DVD owners to general US population.

I predict that week 2 rat will top week 1 shrek.
I'd say it will be as big as Spiderman 3.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 AM
gallandro's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicynacho View Post
Heres why: most HD DVD owners are single adult males, very few families or people with children have bought into HD DVD because disney is Blu. Just check out amazon sales rank, while these numbers don't mean much, Shrek's sales rank is 111 a week away from launch with heavy advertising. Compare to Bourne which is at 68 with 5 weeks to launch. Considering that shrek had a box office draw of 320 Mil and Bourne made 220 Mil in the theaters, I think this points to a skewed demographic of HD DVD owners to general US population.

I predict that week 2 rat will top week 1 shrek.
Another nonsensical post. PS3 is skewing to the teen-20 something crowd, hence the reason BDA studios are pushing A LOT of horror films. Disney's Meet the Robinsons could even muster a win during it's first week of release being outsold by Transformers and Heroes. Pirates I & II managed to sell a whopping 37,000 copies COMBINED their first week of release. There's a reason Disney is waiting until next year to start releasing their animated classics... because the demographics for BD don't justify it yet. Don't be shocked if Live Free or Die Hard outsells Ratatouille even though Die Hard 4 made less at the box office.

Now do I think Shrek III will sell well on HD-DVD, kind of doubt it as it is not going to be a Day and Date release. Most families with an HD-DVD player who would have been inclined to buy Shrek will have already purchased the SD version. Additionally Shrek, like Disney's Pirates and Sony's Spiderman are franchises that appear to have played out a bit. People want something new, hence the success of Transformers.


Yancy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Rob.D.inToronto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,359
Default

Does this mean I have to leave my wife?

Logic would say that the PS3 crowd is younger, and the HD-DVD crowd is a bit older.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Voodoo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10
Default

I will definitely be picking it up! I am a huge Shrek fan and an adult male. But I have a big inner child as well
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 AM
spicynacho's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandro View Post
Now do I think Shrek III will sell well on HD-DVD, kind of doubt it as it is not going to be a Day and Date release. Most families with an HD-DVD player who would have been inclined to buy Shrek will have already purchased the SD version.
Shrek 3 is Day and date
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Shrek,' 'Shrek 2,' & 'Shrek the Third' coming August 30 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 06-08-2011 11:26 AM
'Shrek Forever After' & 'Shrek: The Whole Story' is coming December 7 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 10 10-15-2010 07:05 AM
Something Very Strange.... 'though Possible Very Useful (I guess) Super-VHS The Water Cooler 6 08-19-2008 10:06 AM
Close Encounters is better than Shrek 3, But Shrek will probably sell more. cubedone High Definition Smackdown 25 11-13-2007 08:47 AM
Eye of Judgement is very very fun!!!! Blumoon Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 10 11-12-2007 07:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off