Shrek won't be a very big release - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Shrek won't be a very big release

Heres why: most HD DVD owners are single adult males, very few families or people with children have bought into HD DVD because disney is Blu. Just check out amazon sales rank, while these numbers don't mean much, Shrek's sales rank is 111 a week away from launch with heavy advertising. Compare to Bourne which is at 68 with 5 weeks to launch. Considering that shrek had a box office draw of 320 Mil and Bourne made 220 Mil in the theaters, I think this points to a skewed demographic of HD DVD owners to general US population.

I predict that week 2 rat will top week 1 shrek.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicynacho View Post
Heres why: most HD DVD owners are single adult males, very few families or people with children have bought into HD DVD because disney is Blu. Just check out amazon sales rank, while these numbers don't mean much, Shrek's sales rank is 111 a week away from launch with heavy advertising. Compare to Bourne which is at 68 with 5 weeks to launch. Considering that shrek had a box office draw of 320 Mil and Bourne made 220 Mil in the theaters, I think this points to a skewed demographic of HD DVD owners to general US population.

Care to post the link where you found out this amazing and thought-provoking fact....

I'm married, have two kids and own HD DVD. Besides, Shrek's humor is geared towards kids & adults. I don't know if it will outsell the rat (I'm getting both), but I do know your post is devoid of logic.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Care to post the link where you found out this amazing and thought-provoking fact....

I'm married, have two kids and own HD DVD. Besides, Shrek's humor is geared towards kids & adults. I don't know if it will outsell the rat (I'm getting both), but I do know your post is devoid of logic.
www.eproductwars.com/dvd

I think you are probably the typical shrek HD DVD buyer, purple. Most people with a family, if they based there choice on availability of family friendly content, would buy blu ray first.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Maybe you are right. Maybe you are wrong. One thing
is seem to notice is that HD DVD people take advantage
of Amazon's Pre-order more than Blu-ray people. I for
one can see no reason to pre-order. What is the
advantage? It's not like they are going to run out.

If there is an upcoming release I want, I just put
it in my Wish List. On Tuesday morning I place
all the ones that have changed from yellow to
orange in my Cart and process. If there is only
one or two I may wait until the next Tuesday
to process the order. But then I really don't
like to keep track of a bunch of orders or charges
to my Debit Card.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM

I'm an adult.

I like funny animated movies.

I will buy Shrek the Third on HD DVD, because I didn't see it in the theatre, and I loved the first two.

My card will be split from usage by the end of the year.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

I'd say it will be as big as Spiderman 3.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Another nonsensical post. PS3 is skewing to the teen-20 something crowd, hence the reason BDA studios are pushing A LOT of horror films. Disney's Meet the Robinsons could even muster a win during it's first week of release being outsold by Transformers and Heroes. Pirates I & II managed to sell a whopping 37,000 copies COMBINED their first week of release. There's a reason Disney is waiting until next year to start releasing their animated classics... because the demographics for BD don't justify it yet. Don't be shocked if Live Free or Die Hard outsells Ratatouille even though Die Hard 4 made less at the box office.

Now do I think Shrek III will sell well on HD-DVD, kind of doubt it as it is not going to be a Day and Date release. Most families with an HD-DVD player who would have been inclined to buy Shrek will have already purchased the SD version. Additionally Shrek, like Disney's Pirates and Sony's Spiderman are franchises that appear to have played out a bit. People want something new, hence the success of Transformers.

Yancy
Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Does this mean I have to leave my wife?

Logic would say that the PS3 crowd is younger, and the HD-DVD crowd is a bit older.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 AM

I will definitely be picking it up! I am a huge Shrek fan and an adult male. But I have a big inner child as well
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandro View Post
Now do I think Shrek III will sell well on HD-DVD, kind of doubt it as it is not going to be a Day and Date release. Most families with an HD-DVD player who would have been inclined to buy Shrek will have already purchased the SD version.
Shrek 3 is Day and date