Any news on SM3 sales? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Rking4441's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 450
Default Any news on SM3 sales?

I am curious if there is any news on the SM3 release. I find is curious that there isn't much in the air about it's sales numbers. I know people will be like it was released in 2 sku and stuff, but being one of the 2 big releases for BD I would image there would be some news as to it's first week sales.

Now I did see this http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6497148.html that would indicate it wasn't the first week hit predicted for BD sales.

Thanks in advance for any and all news.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Dave J's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,118
Default

http://www.engadgethd.com/

Sony claims Spider-Man 3 is top selling blu-ray thus far. No numbers released just yet but they are probably basing it on Nielsen Videoscan first alert info. HMM will probably provide an estimated total on Friday as they did with Transformers. Also, it isn't clear if they are just counting the single release or if they are including the Spider-Man Trilogy set as well.

The author of the article seems to be unaware that 300 is the current first week sales leader on blu-ray (HMM estimated 134,200 units) not Casino Royale.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Count Westwest's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
http://www.engadgethd.com/

Sony claims Spider-Man 3 is top selling blu-ray thus far. No numbers released just yet but they are probably basing it on Nielsen Videoscan first alert info. HMM will probably provide an estimated total on Friday as they did with Transformers. Also, it isn't clear if they are just counting the single release or if they are including the Spider-Man Trilogy set as well.

The author of the article seems to be unaware that 300 is the current first week sales leader on blu-ray not Casino Royale.
The fact that they are claiming it's the best selling Blu-Ray disc to date and not the the best selling HDM disc to date is very telling. Given Sony's taste for vitriolic overstatement, I think it's bad news for SM3 also.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Dave J's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Westwest View Post
The fact that they are claiming is the best selling Blu-Ray disc to date and not the the best selling HDM disc to date is very telling. Given Sony's taste for vitriolic overstatement, I think is bad news for SM3 also.
Perhaps they are waiting for proper estimates to come in from HMM. Here are the current title holders for first week sales based on HMM estimates:

BD
1. 300 134,200

HD DVD
1. Transformers 115,000

Dual Format
1. 300 204,400
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
spicynacho's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,188
Default

Sony probably won't be too specific because they don't want to have to back pedal or explain away differences incase they are contradicted.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
speaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post

The author of the article seems to be unaware that 300 is the current first week sales leader on blu-ray (HMM estimated 134,200 units) not Casino Royale.
the original article (linked on en) states it's best sellign BR from SONY yet - 300 wasn't from Sony.

from dvdtown.com/news/spider-man-3-falls-short-of-transformers-on-first-day/4888

"Sony would not discuss exact numbers yet but confirmed that it was the best selling Blu-ray title from the company yet."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Balian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Westwest View Post
The fact that they are claiming it's the best selling Blu-Ray disc to date and not the the best selling HDM disc to date is very telling. Given Sony's taste for vitriolic overstatement, I think it's bad news for SM3 also.
Why would they if thats not the case? Its a tough tow to beat 300 Blu-ray, considering Spider-man 3 was not that well received. Absolutely no one predicted Spider-man 3 would beat 300 Blu-ray, mainly due to the two SKUs and the quality of the releases. Sony simply said it is the best selling Sony title to date.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,480
Default

Would it be compared against Casino Royal? what was the number for that?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Dave J's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker View Post
the original article (linked on en) states it's best sellign BR from SONY yet - 300 wasn't from Sony.

from dvdtown.com/news/spider-man-3-falls-short-of-transformers-on-first-day/4888

"Sony would not discuss exact numbers yet but confirmed that it was the best selling Blu-ray title from the company yet."
Good catch! I suspect we'll know by Friday either way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blu-Boys giving up on SM3 and jumping on Pixar wagon? lemonhead High Definition Smackdown 63 11-07-2007 09:59 AM
PS3 40GB + SM3 + Ratchet & Clank + HDMI Cable $399 @ Dell (Plus other deals) AnimalMother High Definition Smackdown 3 11-04-2007 10:14 PM
Will SM High Def Trilogy sell more than SM3? Strahan92 Blu-ray Software General Discussion 18 10-27-2007 02:37 PM
Any info on decent price of hd imports on any website. any sales bunz_wsu HD DVD Bargains 1 09-08-2007 02:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off