surge in hd-dvd player sales. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

Default surge in hd-dvd player sales.

does anyone think the recent surge in hd dvd player sales from wal-mart and best buy will cause a significant increase in hd dvd sales this holiday season?
I personally think that with all the craze and media coverage of these players that it will cause a good sales increase... I know people are saying that many people will just use them as an upconverter or as a secondary player, but there still should be many new hd dvd owners out there who were just waiting for the right price... This could also lead to post christmas hd dvd sales increase for people gettting the players for christmas. I think the using the players strictly for upconverting is a FUD agrument, because many people can buy upconverters for 50 usd. The secondary player argument could be true to people that are on the high def forums already. anyone think this could turn the way twoards hd dvd? People are obviously buying these for movies... even if they all jsut got netflix accounts, it will lead to sales because amazon will see an increase in demand for hd dvds and will have to buy more copies for their rental service.

on the counter, the 399 ps3 should increase sales for bd discs as well, but I think that the lack of backwards compatability might bite sony in the ass, because that was one of their main selling points when it was released.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM

I think that there will definitely be an increase in titles sold, as the majority of the units sold will not be secondary units. Sure, some people will have purchased them as secondary players, but I don't suspect that it will be a substantial percentage of the total sales.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Can we just keep discussing these questions in the 87 threads where they're already being discussed?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

this thread is a little differnt. it's speculating a surge in software sales... not great deals at walmart or anything
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
this thread is a little differnt. it's speculating a surge in software sales... not great deals at walmart or anything
If they keep the A2 at $98 and sell out of the players, I think the BDA will be looking at some serious issues come January. Software sales will spike for HD-DVD and the software lead may disentegrate. It almost seems as if the BDA is going to let the Holidays pass by without putting up much of a fight.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice X View Post
If they keep the A2 at $98 and sell out of the players, I think the BDA will be looking at some serious issues come January. Software sales will spike for HD-DVD and the software lead may disentegrate. It almost seems as if the BDA is going to let the Holidays pass by without putting up much of a fight.
good luck trying to find an a2 for $98 today...not sure what was to hard to understand that was a one day sale and other stores just adjusted their prices to match it...

the price has gone back to $199 today (at least it has on amazon)...but at least now, you can get an a3 at that price with some extra movies from best buy...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamz View Post
good luck trying to find an a2 for $98 today...not sure what was to hard to understand that was a one day sale and other stores just adjusted their prices to match it...

the price has gone back to $199 today (at least it has on amazon)...but at least now, you can get an a3 at that price with some extra movies from best buy...
If you drive 2.5 hours northwest to Wichita Falls Wal-Mart you can find them still at $98 today. They have about 15 left last time I checked.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice X View Post
If you drive 2.5 hours northwest to Wichita Falls Wal-Mart you can find them still at $98 today. They have about 15 left last time I checked.
that is strange...the sign at the front of the store when I walked in last Friday said the secret sale was from 11/2 to 11/4...

in any event, that isn't the norm and most people won't have access to a player at that cost...(since most places sold out of their A2 inventory over the past three days)...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamz View Post
that is strange...the sign at the front of the store when I walked in last Friday said the secret sale was from 11/2 to 11/4...

in any event, that isn't the norm and most people won't have access to a player at that cost...(since most places sold out of their A2 inventory over the past three days)...
They must have goofed. Kinda like when they put out a day and date movie the Friday before it's suppose to come out.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM

The problem they're facing for the holiday sales is that a LOT of these players will be boxed up until 12/25. What they need to do is aggressively advertise HD sales on catalog titles so that people hiding A2s for christmas will stock up on movies. It think a well publicized BOGO sale on Universal or Paramount titles could be HUGE with people buying titles and packing them away for a month or two.

New releases will suffer a bit. If Shrek 3 and Bourne Ultimatum come out and someone doesn't know they're getting an HD DVD player in a couple of weeks they buy the DVD. And double dipping on titles you just bought isn't exactly common.

Q1 08 though, look out.