*IF* .. a hypothetical thread .. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Default *IF* .. a hypothetical thread ..

If it turns out Tosh has 1.4 million A2s ready to sell, and if it manages to sell them in the next 60 days, along with another 200K a3s and 100K 360AOs, and that this then shifts the HDM into 65:35 by Jan 08, and it becomes clear that the J6P market has picked HD because of price, meaning HDM has a chance at going big time with cheaper HD players plowing the road, would the blu bloods buy an HD player or would they wait for the BDA to develop a lower price model for xMas 08?

I ask because with another 2M consoles/360AOs on the market disc sales will now start to hit a decent volume.

If Tosh cannot hit these targets, and manages to sell only 100 or 200K units then I have no doubt HD has < 1 year before Warner, PW/D and Universal change their positions. So the reds will have no choice BUT to buy a BD player.

It it does hit these targets Warner will drop BD just after the new years, and Disney will be planning to go neutral. Fox will simply run and hide.

xMas 07 is indeed turning out to be pivotal, and right now the side with the price advantage is Toshiba.

I always figured we'd hit 99 bucks next year. Things are just crazy right now.

My gut tells me that the entrenched factions on either side won't give up until the corpse starts to rot.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
If it turns out Tosh has 1.4 million A2s ready to sell, and if it manages to sell them in the next 60 days, along with another 200K a3s and 100K 360AOs, and that this then shifts the HDM into 65:35 by Jan 08, and it becomes clear that the J6P market has picked HD because of price, meaning HDM has a chance at going big time with cheaper HD players plowing the road, would the blu bloods buy an HD player or would they wait for the BDA to develop a lower price model for xMas 08?

I ask because with another 2M consoles/360AOs on the market disc sales will now start to hit a decent volume.

If Tosh cannot hit these targets, and manages to sell only 100 or 200K units then I have no doubt HD has < 1 year before Warner, PW/D and Universal change their positions. So the reds will have no choice BUT to buy a BD player.

It it does hit these targets Warner will drop BD just after the new years, and Disney will be planning to go neutral. Fox will simply run and hide.

xMas 07 is indeed turning out to be pivotal, and right now the side with the price advantage is Toshiba.

I always figured we'd hit 99 bucks next year. Things are just crazy right now.

My gut tells me that the entrenched factions on either side won't give up until the corpse starts to rot.

That's all an "IF"!!! Let me know when HD beats BD in sales, even for a week!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
and it becomes clear that the J6P market has picked HD because of price
This is part that I don't agree with.

J6P will not have chosen HD, they will have chosen a price.

It will then be up to the BDA to offer at that price, or relegate themselves to niche (and PS3 game delivery) status.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 PM

[QUOTE=rick240;412637]This is part that I don't agree with.

Besides, does the majority of JP6 even have an HDTV???
Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Banned

IF that happened, you bet the BDA wouldn't just sit and watch, not to mention Toshiba couldn't sustain those losses.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM

I take it by the answers to date, then the answer is NO.

Fight the good fight!

J6P always picks price first, that's the rule.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=rded;412639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Besides, does the majority of JP6 even have an HDTV???
Good question. Walmart has been selling lots of HDTVs. They are now the number one seller of HDTVs in the country. In fact its hard to find a TV at Walmart that isn't an HDTV. But who knows how many they have actually sold.

Doug
Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Sales between BD and HD DVD have been pretty close these past weeks. I would imagine that they wouldn't need to sell an additional 1 million units to overtake a disc sales lead. Most BD players are PS3s, and a lot of those people don't care about movies, let alone Blu-Ray.

I think that Warner is going to watch the trends the rest of this year. If HD DVD doesn't take the lead, but does make significant gains, then Warner will be a toss-up. If HD DVD gains 2 weeks of sales wins before the year is out after losing every one so far this year, then that will be saying a lot, and Warner can't ignore it.

I don't know what will happen, but if a blu-Ray stand alone doesn't hit, and stay, at the $199 price point, then the BDA is going to have problems because they will still be in a niche market while HD DVD has walked into the mainstream.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

It will then be up to the BDA to offer at that price, or relegate themselves to niche (and PS3 game delivery) status.
Correct - if Blu-Ray hit the price first, they would be selling out of those everywhere. Sadly for them, their rival is in this situation.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=Atomic Age;412666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post

Good question. Walmart has been selling lots of HDTVs. They are now the number one seller of HDTVs in the country. In fact its hard to find a TV at Walmart that isn't an HDTV. But who knows how many they have actually sold.

Doug

IMO Walmart is selling HDTVs to people who want a slim TV, not a HD picture. Bestbuy survery of their consumer not knowing if they have HD content probably applies as well, and many may not care.

I know several people like this, HDTV, no HD content and no plans to get any. I dont understand how they put up with the poor quality TV, but Im not them!