American Gangster = Compromised on HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Exclamation American Gangster = Compromised on HD DVD

Here is some smackdown for you.

I went and saw American Gangster a couple nights ago, I thought it was a good flick. Too bad, that weighing in at 2 hours 40 mins when it arrives on HD DVD that a compromise will have to be made.

* No Lossless Audio
and/or
* Reduced video quality/bitrate

Only Blu-ray has the headroom in both bitrate and storage to give long movies like American Gangster the treatment they deserve. Even short movies, can benefit from the significantly increased bitrate headroom Blu-ray offers.

Why anyone would support an already maxed-out "next gen" replacement for DVD boggles my mind.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM

whats wrong with truehd

can you really tell the difference?

troy: dc was 3 hours 20 mins and had TrueHD audio

and it had a lot more action scenes than this
Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM

whatever dude
Old 11-04-2007, 05:19 PM

we shall see Nostradamus we shall see......
remember HD-DVD has bigger discs on the way also so ur not saying anything really
Old 11-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post

I went and saw American Gangster a couple nights ago, I thought it was a good flick. Too bad, that weighing in at 2 hours 40 mins when it arrives on HD DVD that a compromise will have to be made.

* No Lossless Audio
and/or

Only Blu-ray has the headroom in both bitrate and storage to give long movies like American Gangster the treatment they deserve. Even short movies, can benefit from the significantly increased bitrate headroom Blu-ray offers.

Why anyone would support an already maxed-out "next gen" replacement for DVD boggles my mind.
whatever dude
Old 11-04-2007, 05:20 PM

You should wait till you see the specs before saying it's compromised.

I can pretty much guarantee the HD DVD version will be better than the Blu-ray version.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM

Oh. My. Gosh.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM

Here's my take on this: HD DVD is FAR better than DVD, so people are very happy with the overall quality.

The Blu-Ray DISC is better, but the overall format is not. It will get there, but it is not there yet.

Blu-Ray will be superior when the final profiles are ready and all the players are ready to go... actually, I hope my PS3 is ready for the future.

With this said, I still prefer the movie selection on HD DVD. I would be perfectly happy if all movies were on both formats... then Blu-Ray would be better.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post

* No Lossless Audio
and/or

yawn...bluray crap and penis envy
Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
Here's my take on this: HD DVD is FAR better than DVD, so people are very happy with the overall quality.

The Blu-Ray DISC is better, but the overall format is not. It will get there, but it is not there yet.

Blu-Ray will be superior when the final profiles are ready and all the players are ready to go... actually, I hope my PS3 is ready for the future.

With this said, I still prefer the movie selection on HD DVD. I would be perfectly happy if all movies were on both formats... then Blu-Ray would be better.
how can you say Blu ray is better when all they got going for them BESIDES studio support is a bigger disc

HD-DVD has a bigger disc coming so i would guess u can compare that to blu rays issue with 1.1

it all boils down to this for the both of them ( bu and HD)

"Is the old hardware gonna be able to handle it"
Closed Thread