Would Sony Sabotage Their Own DVDs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Would Sony Sabotage Their Own DVDs?

Now, before you Blüs bring the wrath of the heavens down upon me, just hear me out. This is a genuine question, and my aim here isn't to throw fuel on the format war fire. So, here goes.

We picked up Spiderman 3 for my son. The first two were brilliant, but I could have done without the third, simply because the whole "emo" Parker and jazz club cabaret scene just kind of crapped all over the franchise. But my personal feelings about the film itself isn't what I'm talking about.

Now, I know that since I switched to HD DVD, I kind of notice the flaws in SD movies. However, the majority of movies that I currently own are in SD, so I think I've gotten used to the differences. So I was really quite surprised at how awful the PQ was for SM3. It was downright horrendous.

I'm sure it's just me, but I couldn't help but wonder if Sony would actually downgrade the SD PQ to make the differences between it and BD's PQ that much more impressive in a side-by-side. Again, it's probably just me and my relative newness to the HDM scene, but I had to ask. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RCUTIO View Post
Now, before you Blüs bring the wrath of the heavens down upon me, just hear me out. This is a genuine question, and my aim here isn't to throw fuel on the format war fire. So, here goes.

We picked up Spiderman 3 for my son. The first two were brilliant, but I could have done without the third, simply because the whole "emo" Parker and jazz club cabaret scene just kind of crapped all over the franchise. But my personal feelings about the film itself isn't what I'm talking about.

Now, I know that since I switched to HD DVD, I kind of notice the flaws in SD movies. However, the majority of movies that I currently own are in SD, so I think I've gotten used to the differences. So I was really quite surprised at how awful the PQ was for SM3. It was downright horrendous.

I'm sure it's just me, but I couldn't help but wonder if Sony would actually downgrade the SD PQ to make the differences between it and BD's PQ that much more impressive in a side-by-side. Again, it's probably just me and my relative newness to the HDM scene, but I had to ask. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
I highly, highly, highly doubt it. DVD sells in the millions upon millions.

It would make no sense to alienate that area of profit.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:02 PM

Yea, that's a reach. I doubt it as well.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Yeah, but a movie like this is gonna sell no matter what. Still, I must just be HD-spoiled.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RCUTIO View Post
I must just be HD-spoiled.
Yep, most of us are
Old 11-04-2007, 12:12 PM

well considering that probably around 500 of my current dvds won't be coming to hd until like 5 years if then, I sure hope they won't do this.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 PM

I think we are all HD spoiled, hell i hate watching HD cable now cause im spoiled by real HD (and come on with all that compression i cant be the only one seeing it)
Old 11-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I highly, highly, highly doubt it. DVD sells in the millions upon millions.

It would make no sense to alienate that area of profit.
Well Sony kinda has a bad habit of doing that. LOL.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Unlikely, but after the whole rootkit thing, who knows with Sony?