Are multiple CE companies really the answer? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Are multiple CE companies really the answer?

Many have stated that Toshiba has distance itself from CE companies but Blu-ray has courted these companies. From one point of view people could say that Blu-ray has put itself in a better stance with soooo many CE companies. Others, as I, could state that Toshiba has the flexiblility to lower prices on a whim without worring about offending other companies or asking for such companies to take a hit on overall profits or more than likely suffer great losses. This leaves Blu-ray in a perplexing situation-with so many hands in the pot many don't want to go all in. Many will not drop their prices to a loss point to oppose Toshiba because they only seeing profits on hardware sales. However, Toshiba could give the players away and make future profits. Right now we are basically seeing Toshiba give these players away and more than likely will continue too. Profits off of software will be the motivation of Toshiba. What is the motivation of Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung? Will Sony or Panasonic or other BDA companies do the same? Highly unlikely.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:08 AM

Multiple CE makers are not the deciding factor, but in the end, if HD DVD wins, you can count on multiple CE makers producing HD DVD players. Price will get the customer base, and HD DVD is doing it right. Blu-Ray can have all the CE backers they want, but people aren't going to say, "Hey I'd rather pay 6x as much because the BD format has multiple CE companies behind it."

The answer to your post is - NO.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:09 AM

I spose you could liken this to Apple versus PC.Who sells more computers?
PC does even though there is competition between companies.
Who sells more software?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Who sells more software?
No, you can't compare the two. Everyone wants Windows because all the software people uses, for the most part, is Windows based. This is nothing like that at all.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Who sells more software?
Yes, you could as MS is the main competition of Apple. MS doesn't care about the computers themselves but only cares about the Software. Apple trys to control both and is well behind in this race. I don't think that Toshiba gives a rats ass about the Hardware-their concern is strictly on future profits of the software. Panasonic, Pioneer and other CE companies care about making profits on their players. Yes, the are willing to have some losses but not complete losses as Toshiba.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:31 AM

I don't think it wins a war or anything, but I think the important thing here is that these companies are part of the BDA because they believe in the format and think that they can make money off Hardware as opposed to HD DVD. I can gaurantee you that if HD DVD were to win the war, prices would get cranked back up to get CE companies to start making players. Lets be honest, with the prices Toshiba is giving their hardware away for, there is no way that any CE company is gonna make a player.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:35 AM

Well to be fair, the player in question is the entry-level model -- the next cheapest Toshiba model (taking into account the A2 and A3 are virtually identical, one will replace the other at the bottom) is the $300 A20. I think there's plenty of room between those two price points for other CEs to find a niche.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
Well to be fair, the player in question is the entry-level model -- the next cheapest Toshiba model (taking into account the A2 and A3 are virtually identical, one will replace the other at the bottom) is the $300 A20. I think there's plenty of room between those two price points for other CEs to find a niche.
I think that you could see a Panny or Pioneer player for $400-500, and maybe a sharp or samsung for $300-400. The problem is that its not like Toshiba is making any money on the A2 or A3 so those players would definetely not be competed with, and I dont even see Panasonic or Pioneer making a player to compete with anything other than the XA series... they are high end manufacturers. IMO Panasonic would be right with Sony as the last CE Companies to bow down if they lost the war, it is widely believed that Panasonic has even more invested in Blu Ray than Sony does.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
Yes, you could as MS is the main competition of Apple. MS doesn't care about the computers themselves but only cares about the Software. Apple trys to control both and is well behind in this race. I don't think that Toshiba gives a rats ass about the Hardware-their concern is strictly on future profits of the software. Panasonic, Pioneer and other CE companies care about making profits on their players. Yes, the are willing to have some losses but not complete losses as Toshiba.

One of the advantages of having multiple companies building machines for your format will be that you have multiple r+d groups looking for ways to advance them.
These formats won't stand still and as it stands Toshiba will have to do all it's own legwork.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
No, you can't compare the two. Everyone wants Windows because all the software people uses, for the most part, is Windows based. This is nothing like that at all.
You mean software like all the Disney, Sony and Fox movies?

Everyone wants Blu-ray because all the software people watch, for the most part, is Blu-ray based.

How does anyone think that any other CE-company will sell as low as Toshiba just to let Toshiba get royalties from the software discs?