You know what could win it for HD-DVD... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 AM

Default You know what could win it for HD-DVD...

After the price cuts of the players... Sure they may be loosing some money now... Spend money to make money. But with all the talk about how it's so much cheeper for HD-DVDs to be made over Blu-Ray, why not charge less? Make every movie $20-$25 with the occasional sale on old titles. With the neutral releases make, say, Planet Earth on Blu-Ray north of $60 and on HD-DVD ~ $45. Don't do it so HD-DVD looks cheap... do it so it looks affordable. I know I was on the fence between the two formats but price ultimatly won out when I realized you were basically getting the same quality product (as far as picture and sound -- special features is another story) at a price I could stomach if one didn't live.
So now, after the major price cut this weekend on HD-DVD players... selling out like mad around the country, doing so this holiday season with great affordable (to the masses) prices on discs would give a great upper hand in sales without loosing too much money (that is, given the price of making the discs for HD-DVD is that much cheaper).
Old 11-04-2007, 01:07 AM

I don't think the A2 is selling out. I've seen plenty of them available over here where I'm at and they aren't selling like say the iPod. Now for the price of media, you are correct. The media needs to be affordable to get people to buy. But then it would just make too much sense for the studios wouldn't it.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:10 AM

Walmart has 20-30 HD DVDs here for $14.98-$19.98
Old 11-04-2007, 01:10 AM

The Ipod is kind of a ridiculous use of an example. The Ipod was revolutionary change from CD to a tiny hand held MP3 which eclipsed any MP3 player prior to it...

high def dvd's while still revolutionary is still a tough sell to people that dont have High Def TV's and people that simply cant afford it or feel the need to..

The Ipod was all about storing massive amounts of music in a hand held tiny player

As both Toshiba and Sony have admitted Standard DVD is their true competition its just a matter of time for the natural transition to High Def which will take a few years for every house hold to have one...

But yet making the prices of the movies in the stores more affordable would help. Its way cheaper to by online than it is to wander into best buy

unless they are having a sale which has been rare up until of late..
Old 11-04-2007, 01:18 AM

I have been wondering if the $14.99 price point might be a test or just a sale. They maybe testing the waters with slightly lower prices on media. Maybe just me wishfully thinking.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnuts77 View Post
The Ipod is kind of a ridiculous use of an example. The Ipod was revolutionary change from CD to a tiny hand held MP3 which eclipsed any MP3 player prior to it...

high def dvd's while still revolutionary is still a tough sell to people that dont have High Def TV's and people that simply cant afford it or feel the need to..

The Ipod was all about storing massive amounts of music in a hand held tiny player

As both Toshiba and Sony have admitted Standard DVD is their true competition its just a matter of time for the natural transition to High Def which will take a few years for every house hold to have one...

But yet making the prices of the movies in the stores more affordable would help. Its way cheaper to by online than it is to wander into best buy

unless they are having a sale which has been rare up until of late..
My point is that the sale didn't have much impact here. I'll admit I bought an A2 (Sig will be updated soon), but it seems that either J6P doesn't care about the $99 A2 or they're looking at the $60 SD-DVD upconverting player that says "best high definition available." I just have this ominous feeling that HD in either format will remain niche like Laserdisc.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM

UH......Nothing

Blu-ray was always going to WIN.

Enjoy Blu
Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Unless a new update render all HD-DVD player Blu compatible, of course, that would be a damn ace to pull out from the sleeve, 1 million less PS3 sold !
Old 01-08-2008, 05:19 PM

HD DVDs could sell for $5 at this point and it wouldn't matter. It's honestly over for HD DVD.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:24 PM

At $5 I might even be tempted to buy Timecop. Err...on second thought. Probably not. It blows me away that such a movie has even been given life on HD.