Has your Walmart changed since the sale? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Has your Walmart changed since the sale?

Went back today to see if they had anymore hd dvd players. They didn't.
But what I was surprised was at how there was now HD DVD movies everywhere through out the electronics section. They had the typical 5/3 br/hd endcap. But on the side of isle/endcap's in the electronics section they had hd dvd's. They were everywhere.
I was quite surprised to be honest.

Anyone else have this experience yet? My wally world is really small, they didn't even have HDM 4 weeks ago.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
But what I was surprised was at how there was now HD DVD movies everywhere through out the electronics section. They had the typical 5/3 br/hd endcap. But on the side of isle/endcap's in the electronics section they had hd dvd's. They were everywhere.

Anyone else have this experience yet? My wally world is really small, they didn't even have HDM 4 weeks ago.
If this happens at a lot more Walmarts then it is proof that Toshiba and Walmart have been planning this for a while and it wasn't just some "fire sale" to get rid of old stock.

I created a thread that talked about this earlier today. Walmart wants to get the players out there so that people will come back for the movies.

One of the Walmarts near me didn't have any HDM and only one HD player, a Sony BDP-S300 or whatever it is. I will have to check it out in the next couple of days to see if they changed anything.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

We have more HD DVDs than Blu-ray now at the Wal-Mart I went to. They had all the Blu-ray new releases of course, but they got A LOT of HD DVD catalog titles.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:57 PM

It was just weird, the movies were everywhere. At the end of the music cd racks there they were. At the end of the computer section there they were. Just all over randomly.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Were they in custom "HD DVD stands"?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM

Talking Yep! HD-DVDs all over the place at Wal-Mart NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post

I was actually in NEW IBERIA, LA on business and was able to snap up a few players . . . the good folks were putting together 3 free standing HD-DVD displays . . . I think it's going to be a very, very good Christmas for HD-DVD!

PS back to the reasoning behind the price drop AND further drops on new Toshiba HD-DVD models. The people at Wal-Mart and Toshiba may have taken a cue from the CELL PHONE INDUSTRY; make the price point very attractive and the sales will come! Fairly confident we will see a current model HD-DVD player all season long for about 149.99 (or that good ole 99.99 just to further the nail in Sony's coffin! how many failed formats would this make? hmmmm Beta, DAT, MMCD, MD, ATRAC, SDDS, SACD, UMD, Hi-MD and now BD) Oh Sony, will the arrogance ever stop???
Old 11-03-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanJohnson View Post
Were they in custom "HD DVD stands"?
No, just on the side of the isle, where they usually stick random cd's, dvd's etc..
Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Oh, the ones I saw were in custom HD DVD stands and on the side it explains what HD DVD is, and blah blah blah. Pretty cool to see for a dead format.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 PM

cool anecdote!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 PM

I went to one tonight, and they had restocked the HD-DVD side of the endcap, it had equal space with the BR section this time. Movie selection was still piss-poor though, nothing I wanted to buy.