Can blu-ray players be lowered to $99 (or even $199)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Can blu-ray players be lowered to $99 (or even $199)?

In my opinion, no.

First of all, with the poor sales of the stand alone blu-ray players, i don't think the CE companies have been secretly manufacturing tons of players to meet the demand if player prices were lowered drastically. Being this close to the holiday season, i don't think it's possible for any company to pump out millions of players anytime soon.

Secondly, if they did manage to manufacture enough players to meet the demand of a $100-200 player, these players will most likely be profile 1.0. How would the bda/ce companies respond to the complaints they'd get when the buyers of these cheap players suddenly realize they can't access the interactive portions of their bd movies.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Poor sales? I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray standalones were beating HD-DVD stand alone sales this summer (which Toshiba denied, only to concede to later when their sales went back up again in late September).
Old 11-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Poor sales? I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray standalones were beating HD-DVD stand alone sales this summer (which Toshiba denied, only to concede to later when their sales went back up again in late September).
When you realize that thoes sales were spread across like 5 companies you might realize why most consider them "poor sales"

Panasonic prolly only cares about the number of units THEY sell not all 5 combined like you're putting out there.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnyc View Post
In my opinion, no.

First of all, with the poor sales of the stand alone blu-ray players, i don't think the CE companies have been secretly manufacturing tons of players to meet the demand if player prices were lowered drastically. Being this close to the holiday season, i don't think it's possible for any company to pump out millions of players anytime soon.
Given that the internals are about exactly the same, they certainly have that ability.

I think there are likely two major reasons why Blu-ray standalones have remained higher-priced:

1) The format is winning, so the CEs don't need to do a loss leader and dump units yet. These first- and second-gen players are really kind of priming the pump for larger production runs of later generations - working out the kinks, etc.

2) The disk fabs DO cost more on the Blu side, and so the BDA needs to recoup those initial investments somehow.

Both reasons are very transient, and I do think you'll be able to pick up Blu standalones for $250 or less before the year is through.

Quote:
Secondly, if they did manage to manufacture enough players to meet the demand of a $100-200 player, these players will most likely be profile 1.0. How would the bda/ce companies respond to the complaints they'd get when the buyers of these cheap players suddenly realize they can't access the interactive portions of their bd movies.
I imagine they'll deal with it in roughly the same way Toshiba will deal with customers who call up to complain that their TV only reports 1080i input, which is not as good as 1080p according to Bob down the street.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 AM

If push came to shove, and Blu Ray was starting to lose it's advantage, they could drop it to $99, but it would probably have to be the Sony players, because they could still make money via software sales. I don't think Sharp or Panasonic would go for it.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 AM

Can they? Sure, they can pay you to take them if they wanted.
Will they? Probably not anytime soon.
Would they lose money? Probably, though I (just like most everyone else here) don't know exactly how much each player cost them to produce.
Can they afford to lose money selling them at that price? Who knows, except for upper management.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:21 AM

I hope so! I would get up at 2 a.m. to buy a $99 Blu-Ray player.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
I believe it was one month out of the entire year.

But nice try though.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor77 View Post
If push came to shove, and Blu Ray was starting to lose it's advantage, they could drop it to $99, but it would probably have to be the Sony players, because they could still make money via software sales. I don't think Sharp or Panasonic would go for it.
Panasonic has more blu-ray patents than Sony.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

I think all BD profiles must be 1080p, so probably not $99. But $199 or $249 looks ok, and if Blu-ray is threatened they will do this.