Universal announces 2007 slate for HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Universal announces 2007 slate for HD DVD

Quote:
Afternoon, everyone. I just wanted to jump in here with some late-breaking high-def news. Universal, presumably to make up for their relative silence at CES, has just announced that they're planning more than 100 exclusive releases on the HD-DVD format in 2007... and they've revealed at least a few new titles that are on the way (if not specific release dates). The first 40-50 of these will be available in the first half of 2007, starting with Brokeback Mountain (now available) and Hollywoodland (on 2/6). Also on the way to HD-DVD in 2007 according to the studio (90% of the titles as DVD/HD-DVD Combo releases) are new films like Children of Men, The Good Shepherd and Smokin' Aces, as well as classic catalog titles like Scarface, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Bruce Almighty, The Bourne Identity, Meet the Fockers, American Pie, Inside Man, Pride & Prejudice, The Big Lebowski, Liar Liar, Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Brazil, Erin Brockovich, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Slap Shot and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The studio also confirmed that the first season of Sci-Fi's new Battlestar Galactica will be released on HD-DVD this year, as well as additional TV series titles yet to be announced. There's definitely some cool titles in that list, and presumably more (and more details) will be announced at a later date. It'll be great to see Lebowski and Brazil in HD, that's for sure... and the prospect of Battlestar has us pretty excited too.

By the way, as it happens today, I had the chance to speak directly with senior Universal reps this afternoon for a story about their HD-DVD support and the format war in general. So watch for lots more on this subject here at The Bits next week.

Stay tuned...!
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

Still no Jurassic Park, Jaws, E.T. etc.

What do you think of the announced HD DVD titles by Universal?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 View Post

I think it's a great list!
This is only a partial list too!!

Wheres "Star Wars" and "Alien" on your format?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting that update!

And again, Jaws, Back to the Future, ET and Jurrasic Park (at least 1 and 2) are mega Spielberg franchise films. It'll take a lot of market penetration to get these released. Probably not going to happen this year. Ditto Star Wars, Lion King, Indian Jones, etc...

Now if they don't release the proper cut of Brazil, I'm gonna have to get mad...
Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I think it's a great list!
This is only a partial list too!!

Wheres "Star Wars" and "Alien" on your format?
Star Wars isn't distributed by Universal. I'm not sure about the Alien series.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
Star Wars and Alien are both Fox...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Star Wars and Alien are both Fox...
So then whats your point? Why ask about a movie which isn't announced for HD DVD?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
Righto, Star Wars and Alien(s) are both Fox. Indiana Jones is Paramount. I was just trying to point out that Universal isn't ditching HD DVD by not releasing some of their A-List stuff. Just standard studio policy not to release the big catalog guns on a fledgling format - goes for all studios.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:

"The first 40-50 of these will be available in the first half of 2007, starting with Brokeback Mountain (now available) and Hollywoodland (on 2/6)."

40-50 new releases available by June 30? And they only just announced The Jerk & The Game being available on April 17. Universal better send out a flurry of press releases ASAP, otherwise this statement is just empty studio rhetoric.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:15 PM

Ok people I have the feeling the other TV series being released will be "Monk" and "House MD", both of which Universal has the rights to. "Heroes" is probably another definite if it's under them.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
40-50 new releases available by June 30? And they only just announced The Jerk & The Game being available on April 17. Universal better send out a flurry of press releases ASAP, otherwise this statement is just empty studio rhetoric.
I had presumed that Universal may be delaying the release of movies due to the combo format on another site and I see that that scenario may just be plausible. I had no idea they planned to delivere %90 of movies in combo format this year. As long as I have a variety of pricing from $20 to $30 for titles i'm ok with this.