The Format war : OUTLOOK HD DVD VS Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2007, 04:38 PM

Default The Format war : OUTLOOK HD DVD VS Blu-ray

So lets start with K-mart

K-MART: Hello , everyone first let's start with our support for HD A2 , yes we are selling the HD A2 at an incredible price of 199.99. But let me remind you we are not HD DVD exclusive , even though we are only stocking at this time the 199.99 HD A2 at an incredible price and even though we also have the 360 HD Add on for 179.99 , we are not HD DVD exlsuive . We just believe that HD A2 is an incredible price and for its quality we believe will reach our customers. But again we are not Exclusive we also happen to have the Playstation 3 which we just learn also plays Blu-ray , but that is 399 and you can find that in the gaming section. Furthermore at this moment we have no plans to carry any blu-ray stand alone players .... But we soon will be stocking the HD A3.

Blu-ray Fanatics post WALMART

Blu-ray : No one wants to buy those HD A2 , yea who would actually buy an inferior product even if it is 99.... Its cleareance ....Firesales..... People are crazy to buy that crap...Who cares if you can watch transformers , what about spiderman 3 ? Who cares about shrek 3 , what about cars ....

No one is gonna buy an hd dvd a2 even at 99 they only have 10 in stock , no way more then 50,000. We won't see results till 2009... people why who buy hd A2 at 99 are idiots and can't read and won't buy software at 27.99 when they can get the same thing for less.....

The outlook on this is panic , because no matter what BDA does all they can do is BOGO free , but guess what I am sure Universal , Paramount and Wb are just waiting for that move ,cause the next move is theirs.

Check

Here is what is going to happen next

BDA , sony and fellow memebers are going to offer blu-rays for B0GO free sale, wb will join in this sale

Universal , paramount and WB will decrease prices and add B0GO and follow that with another promotion

If the sales of the HD A2 sales go through all the stocks WB will announce Exlusive HD DVD support and pull a Blades of glory meaning bye bye Harry Potter and good bye Blade runner on blu-ray.....

Of course i will continue to buy Blu-rays after that until sony stops

but like 300 and lord of the rings fellowship of the rings

The Tide is changing and this my friends is the calm before the storm
Old 11-03-2007, 04:45 PM

What? Your post is a giant jumble-****.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM

its really the same argument, so the cheap stores are carrying the cheap player, whats your point?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:50 PM

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 PM

I think HD DVD has been smart enough to see that the average consumer doesn't want to and will not pay 3 or 4 hundred bucks for a DVD player, HDM or not. I'd guess most people would want their movies in HD, BUT, I'm also inclined to guess that they are perfectly happy with their SD DVD's and players. So, to get the average consumer to be involved with High Def, the price has to come down. You can scream all day about how great Blu Ray or HD DVD is, but it won't matter if the player costs 400 bucks.

Walmart, BB, CC, and all the outlets selling the HD-A2's at bargain prices are pumping life into the HD DVD format. People will respond to the perception of a bargain. And with quite a bit of HD DVD software starting to go below $20, it's easy for anyone to get into the HD game.

Eventually, Blu Ray HAS to drop prices under $200, and they had better not wait too long. If they continue the BOGOF sales and don't come down on the hardware, they are just selling to existing customers. HD DVD added new customers this week.
Freddy
Old 11-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyC View Post
I think HD DVD has been smart enough to see that the average consumer doesn't want to and will not pay 3 or 4 hundred bucks for a DVD player, HDM or not. I'd guess most people would want their movies in HD, BUT, I'm also inclined to guess that they are perfectly happy with their SD DVD's and players. So, to get the average consumer to be involved with High Def, the price has to come down. You can scream all day about how great Blu Ray or HD DVD is, but it won't matter if the player costs 400 bucks.

Walmart, BB, CC, and all the outlets selling the HD-A2's at bargain prices are pumping life into the HD DVD format. People will respond to the perception of a bargain. And with quite a bit of HD DVD software starting to go below $20, it's easy for anyone to get into the HD game.

Eventually, Blu Ray HAS to drop prices under $200, and they had better not wait too long. If they continue the BOGOF sales and don't come down on the hardware, they are just selling to existing customers. HD DVD added new customers this week.
Freddy
Yes, just like Blu-Ray players had to get prices to $300 6 months ago, and $200 a few weeks ago, and now the magic number is $100. And yet at each point, HD-DVD still loses in software sales.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:24 PM

If the BDA was smart, they'd offer a $200 off limited-time only sale on select standalones for the holiday season. I've mentioned this on AVS, but it would save face on price cutting, keep BDA members from being anrgy at other companies slashing prices and have a good media blitz.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukhat View Post
Yes, just like Blu-Ray players had to get prices to $300 6 months ago, and $200 a few weeks ago, and now the magic number is $100. And yet at each point, HD-DVD still loses in software sales.
Yes but only due to the sheer number of ps3s out there. Compare the ratio of disc sales to hardware and it's pretty obvious that Blu-Ray is performing anywhere near as well as it should. The average gamer obviously isn't interested in films, otherwise the attach ratio would be far, far higher.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Yes but only due to the sheer number of ps3s out there. Compare the ratio of disc sales to hardware and it's pretty obvious that Blu-Ray is performing anywhere near as well as it should. The average gamer obviously isn't interested in films, otherwise the attach ratio would be far, far higher.
yeah well that must be the supreme statement that some people buy a PS3 for games not movies...
Old 11-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Well, the pricing is important. You can deny that if you want, but the PS3 is the only reason there is a game at this point. Sony created a Blu Ray market and it was a smart move. But, again, at some point they HAVE to drop prices. There are a lot of folks out there making a HDM decision and lots of them made HD DVD their pick yesterday. Freddy