Specs lie, your eyes and ears don't - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Specs lie, your eyes and ears don't

Quote:
Sometimes we start to feel like a broken record around here. Seriously, how many times do we have to say this, and yet so many never listen? Rather than complain about one's devout faith in specifications, Joshua from HiDefDigest makes his case in the old 'specs vs reality' argument and we have to say, we couldn't have said it better ourselves. Click through for the full explanation, but here are the highlights. Higher bit-rate and a newer codec don't always look better, lossless audio doesn't always sound better, and -- we'd like to add -- 1080p isn't always better than 720p. So for your own sake, don't sell yourself short by relaying on specs to tell you what looks and sounds good.
Engadget gave HiDefDigest some free advertising. Does Blu-ray want to try to wow you with slightly better specs, which really don't mean much, and don't translate into a better product?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/02...and-ears-dont/
Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM

I agree it's a great article. I can't believe people actually think that a movie can't get a 5 star audio score just because it doesn't have lossless.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Lol, Faith is like that. Ask some of the people around here. They can tell you exactly how good a movie will look and sound with just the spec sheet. No need to watch or listen to the movie. If you hurry now you will hear that sermon at the Blu Ray temple now..
Old 11-03-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu Zeta View Post
I agree it's a great article. I can't believe people actually think that a movie can't get a 5 star audio score just because it doesn't have lossless.
Of course it can get 5 star audio without lossless, the same way a dvd can get 5 star video, its not as good as HD-DVD, but there is no HD encode on the disc so you rate it based on whats there to rate.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rking4441 View Post
Lol, Faith is like that. Ask some of the people around here. They can tell you exactly how good a movie will look and sound with just the spec sheet. No need to watch or listen to the movie. If you hurry now you will hear that sermon at the Blu Ray temple now..
Yeah really.... these are same tards that tried to claim that Dracula actually looked good on BD. I almost vomited when I watced my rental copy from Netflix. Hey, Im neutral and there have been several BD titles that are freegin awesome. But I dont CARE about the specs. I pop the movie in, I watch it/listen to it, then I decide whether its good or not.

Simple.....
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 PM

Your eyes and ears most certainly lie to you. Ask any cop or judge whether eyewitness testimony is uniformly reliable.

People see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear all the time. The question is, does it matter?

On the other hand, numbers don't lie. The number 10 is always the number 10.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post

Engadget gave HiDefDigest some free advertising. Does Blu-ray want to try to wow you with slightly better specs, which really don't mean much, and don't translate into a better product?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/02...and-ears-dont/
Josh is a HD DVD fan boy. Its a nice attempt to rationalize HD DVD's inferior specs. Given the right equipment and conditions, I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p in a nano second. And if you are honest about it, you would be able too.

Your eyes and ears can certainly lie to you. They tend to follow what your mind want to see and hear. Bias can do that for you. If that wasn't the case, magicians would be out of business.

Last edited by Balian; 11-03-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TL View Post
Your eyes and ears most certainly lie to you. Ask any cop or judge whether eyewitness testimony is uniformly reliable.

People see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear all the time. The question is, does it matter?

On the other hand, numbers don't lie. The number 10 is always the number 10.
Terrible analogy! In the heat of the moment crime scene or whatever, people are getting one quick look at a suspect often in tough conditions and their adrenaline is also going like crazy. Not surprised that many eyewitnesses screw up. On the other hand.... when you are watching a movie sitting on your fat ass in YOUR comfy house with the intent to watch the movie and pay attention, I would venture a guess that you "see" more and get more out of what you're watching.

C'mon!
Old 11-03-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p in a nano second. And if you are honest about it, you would be able too.

Your eyes and ears can certainly lie to you. They tend to follow what your mind what to see and hear. Bias can do that for you. If that wasn't the case, magicians would be out of business.

1080i properly deinterlaced, which ANY quality TV/projector can do now, looks the same as 1080p. I know, you prolly overpaid for a 1080p set and have to somehow justify it but rest assured, you CANT see the difference....except of course in your mind because thats what you WANT to see.

Even 720p looks amazing on a good quality set. Maybe your display is just lacking????

Old 11-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
Josh is a HD DVD fan boy. Its a nice attempt to rationalize HD DVD's inferior specs. Given the right equipment and conditions, I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p in a nano second. And if you are honest about it, you would be able too.

Your eyes and ears can certainly lie to you. They tend to follow what your mind what to see and hear. Bias can do that for you. If that wasn't the case, magicians would be out of business.
Why am I not suprised you are saying this? Man oh man. I highly doubt your so called well trained eye can see the difference, that is what all Blu-Ray fanboys say. Lets trust you because your so trustable and reliable on this forum haha. Fanboy anyone?