Finally time to give my $0.02 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Finally time to give my $0.02

I finally decided to upgrade to high Def and have purchased the 50" 5084 Samsung plasma (9' distance) and Onkyo SR605 to replace my tabletop 45" mitsubishi and Kendwood Dolby Digital receiver that I purchased about 10 years ago.

It took me several years of research to take the plunge and I have been watching this format "war" with great interest over the last year. When the specs for each format were released, I was firmly in the blue ray camp as I believed it would have a significant advantage in picture quality (as well as audio) and represent the superior of the two formats. That said, when they both initially came out (after watching demos and a few initial releases), I realized that the difference in picture quality was actually negligable. In fact, as all of you know, the initial releases for blue ray were actually pretty poor and slightly INFERIOR to HD DVD. Why pay over twice as much to get a similar picture result (The arrogance of Sony in fact kind of ticked me off)? At that point, I switched to thinking HD DVD was the way to go (even with the substandard studio support). Another six months passed, and blue ray got its act togethor with quality releases and better picture quality. At that point, I was back in the blue ray camp as I beleived that the better studio support would put them "over the top". Now, the Hd DVD camp has come back with what I consider to be a tremendous value on all of their players (not just the HD A20). I am looking more like Barney the Dinosour every day.

The point of this thread, is that as an average consumer, I don't get the blindness and refusal of blue ray fanboys to admit that HD DVD is a QUALITY product. Is HD DVD absolutely as good as blue ray? probably not. That said, It is a great product that will allow consumers to enjoy high definition movies at a fantastic price. The fact is that the difference in picture quality is negligable. I think this format war is far from over and guess what, as a "purple", I believe that the "war" BENEFITS ALL OF US. Anyone that undrerstands marketing knows that strong competion is a good thing (heck it'a what our whole economy is based on). I think that Sony (as usual) has woefully undrestimated the price vs quality ratio and is going to suffer in the short term as a result. That said, I think that both formats can survive and we may be looking at most studios going duel format. Let's all enjoy high def movies, sit back and enjoy the competion because it benefits ALL OF US

cheers
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 PM

It is a good product. I have no problem saying that.

We just don't need two good products that essentially do the same thing, as such, I'll be glad when it goes the way of the dodo.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 PM

It's hard to take you seriously when you keep saying "Blue ray"
Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Welcome. Be sure not to take things too personally in smackdown.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowhite View Post

We just don't need two good products that essentially do the same thing, as such, I'll be glad when it goes the way of the dodo.
If you truly mean what you say, then you will be glad when EITHER one goes the way of the dodo.

Personally, I think they are both here to stay for quite some time. At least another 2-3 years, if not longer. Hell, we might have two formats until they are BOTH replaced by the next hot technology.

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy taking jabs at the Blu boys worshiping at the Sony shrine!

Mark
Old 11-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_i_am_wade View Post
Welcome. Be sure not to take things too personally in smackdown.
LOL.....I won't don't worry. I've already read much of the nasty stuff on this board
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
It's hard to take you seriously when you keep saying "Blue ray"

You prove my point on technicality.....who cares if I spell it wrong?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowhite View Post

well if they are "essentially the same", why would you want hd-dvd to disappear and have everyone have to pay twice as much for the the same thing.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

So what HDM player did you buy?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian451 View Post
well if they are "essentially the same", why would you want hd-dvd to disappear and have everyone have to pay twice as much for the the same thing.
QFT.......until someone "wins", both parties are going to have to offer the consumer the best possible price / quality ratio.