HD vs. Blu - this week's sales are in... - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Default HD vs. Blu - this week's sales are in...

In case you missed it...Here are the standings...

1. Transformers (HDx)
2. Heroes (HDx)
3. Meet the Robinson's (BDx) (1st week)
4. Mr. Brooks (BDx)
5. Hostel II (BDx)
6. Pirates Dead Mans (BDx)
7. 300 (HD)
8. Pirates Curse (BDx)
9. 300 (BD)
10. Planet Earth (HD)

Ah, seems amazing given the current Playstation saturation in the market by sheer numbers in the millions, that HD can even achieve and win the week even with a title like Transformers..And, that a title like Meet the Robinsons charted THIRD..Seems gamers aren't that interested in some CG titles, which would yet again indicate rational support for Paramount's exclusive stance, SHREK may have been headed down the same road...

In any ration world, hands down Blu Ray software should and has sold more to date..But, that will change, and today is a new day..

If any of us centrists don't get that picture, I don't know what will..
Toshiba's long planned aggressive moves at retail I am sure, played well into Paramount's move and change of stance..Viacom needs no partners, just hit films....

In other words, please, divide the catagories of stand alone purchasers and gamers, I say with a certainty, the studios have, and again, I repeat myself that this war will be won by the stand alone champ.

Again, there are 100 million Standard Def DVD players...in the American market...SONY so far has sold nearly 4 million Playstation Blu Ray players.
There are 30 Million HD capable TV's in the market, that will increase to maybe 35 or 36 million by Dec. 31..There is a TON of room to grow, and Toshiba is positioning itself for that growth.

HD or Blu Ray will never make it to 100 million ever, why? Everything will become downloadable or on demand at that point and all players involved know this...If anything is moving Toshiba faster, it's claim to a boutique market that will always want the physical media player...It's a time thing, folks..

Those who continue to scream otherwise aren't looking at the real picture that is unfolding..

The priority of any format to succeed needs to be on stand alone players, and Toshiba has the upper hand and may well have it through this critical season. As I have said before, it all depends on just how many units they have to saturate the market..

People, it's no different than the Playstation saturation, it's just now the shoe is on the other's foot...Just how does anyone explain the sales figures I posted above? How is HD software is outselling with no discounting, no specials, no thrills, and most importantly, a lack of leadership in terms of player saturation...

Here's how...Stand alone consumers buy MORE movies and HD DVD sales margins will only grow...from stand alone presence in the market...Bank on it, Paramount did, so did Universal and to this day, Warners and they will continue to..
Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 PM

As much as I'd like to believe this, I'm gonna need a supporting link for those sales standings.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Despite the standings, Blu Ray still won overall on the week. So next week will be big with the release of Spidey 3 and these sales. I would not be surprised if HD-DVD managed to secure a win.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

Here it is...

http://www.engadgethd.com/

Move this to sales sub forum.. and where is the link?

These numbers clearly aren't this week as there is no spiderman 3 on that list. But I expect transformers to do well next week as well with all the brand new HD-A2 owners
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 PM

1) This should be in the sales data forum.

2) HD DVD had the top titles but still lost the week.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 PM

True, they sure did, but not by a margin consistant with it's player saturation...In other words, those numbers should be by a much wider margin than just nearly 10%...HD DVD is doing fine, better than it should given the number of Blu Ray players out there.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoela View Post
True, they sure did, but not by a margin consistant with it's player saturation...In other words, those numbers should be by a much wider margin than just nearly 10%...HD DVD is doing fine, better than it should given the number of Blu Ray players out there.
Number of Blu Ray players that not everybody intends on using. HD-DVD is doing fine, but that doesn't undermine Blu Ray's success either. Yes, the PS3 has helped drive Blu Ray sales, but that doesn't mean that 5 million players = 5 million people using Blu Ray unlike people buying standalones.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Using Toshiba's own number, only 60% of PS3 owners even know it plays blu-ray movies.....so take that into account.

Regardless, blu-ray "should" win every week the rest of the year due to their titles.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
That would be true if this was based on a longer term analysis of sales. All I see is complete supposition by the reds each time they lose less badly than normal.
Closed Thread