I知 not Blind? Are you? For fans of BD and HD DVD a simple question. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2007, 02:20 PM

Talking I知 not Blind? Are you? For fans of BD and HD DVD a simple question.

Everybody here in this forum knows that I support HD DVD, however I知 not blind or stupid, we need to recognized that Sony made an smart move adding the BD in the PS3, we all know that the HD DVD add on from 360 is very good but Sony PS3 has a solid Back up from almost everybody and I will give you the numbers of course but you got to wait. Now remember that most of the people that bought the PS3 at the beginning were to re-sell the unit, which means for profit, those numbers add up the success so far from the PS3, I知 not saying that the PS3 is better than Xbox 360 or the other way around I知 just being realistic. There are a lot of people here that talks a lot of S*@#) and others that make a lot of sense but we like what we like, being realistic does not mean that I like BD that痴 for those that always retaliate from anything that I said. Stupid or not this topic I would like to see your opinions anyways. WTF.

Do you recognize that the BD built in on the PS3 was a very smart move form Sony or it should have done what XBOX 360 did?

Last edited by nelll; 01-25-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:44 PM

I can't speak for all of the millions of PS3 owners, but for me at least, if the PS3 didn't include a Blu-ray player quite honestly my only HD content right now would be from ABC, NBC, & CBS.

I don't think I would have bought a HD-DVD player, Blu-ray player, PS3 or Xbox 360 until the price was cut in half if the the PS3 didn't also play Blu-ray.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:52 PM

I agree with Thulium. I bought a PS3 because I wanted both HD games and HD movies and the PS3 provided that.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM

I would not have bought Blu-ray if it wasn't on the PS3. It goes far beyond just having a 'less expensive' player. It is the market domination and penetration of the PlayStation product line. There is a ton of brand loyalty and the expected impact was there.

Was it a good move by Sony to put Blu-ray in there? While I don't know how much it is helping PS3 as a gaming console, it sure as hell is propelling Blu-ray as a video format. So, PS3 + Blu-ray = very good for Blu-ray. Yet, PS3 + $600 = not so great for Sony. So, it does seem to be affecting PS3 sales, and the lack of games, etc. is not good. Really though, I can see this topic going into X360 RULEz All!!! no PS3 RULEz All!!! It isn't what I am talking about.

I do believe that Sony has two feelings about Blu-ray on PS3 as well. The added cost is not good for them. It hurts their bottom line and the lower than expected sales figures aren't a good thing for them as a company.

BUT: They also are happy to invest in a product that will be good to them down the road. If PS3 is expensive now, but gets Blu-ray to domination, then as pricing comes down it is likely more PS3 will sell and more Blu-ray will be out there... and the royalties from Blu-ray? Well, that'll likely be enough to buy a few people more than a lunch at McDonalds.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Thumbs up

I bought my PS3 because of blu ray. I thought about the add on but I figured im going to get a PS3 so i figured save 200 and put towards the PS3. Plus there have been alot of 360s that went in for repair, complaints , service so i was a little skeptical. I have had my 360 4 months works fine im not hating M$ but thats why i got PS3
Old 01-25-2007, 03:12 PM

I think that making Blu-ray mandatory was a great idea. Some say they forced it down our throats and I agree. But just like some enthusiastic women (aka deep throaters) I enjoy having things like this forced down my throat. (Ewwww)
Old 01-25-2007, 03:15 PM

I think it depends on Sony's main objective. By delaying the PS3 a year behind the 360 I don't think the PS3 will ever catch the 360 in sales.

But the PS3 w/ Blu-ray was the only hope that Blu-ray would survive. I don't know Sony's financials (or future financials). If they end up making tons of money on Blu-ray royalties it was worth it but this Gen they will always be #2 (possibly #3) in video game sales.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:24 PM

I buy a lot of movies,specially on High Definition.(I'm movie lover and a Gamer)I own the Xbox HD-DVD,PS3 and BDP-S1 Blu-Ray player.
The reason a have more Blu-Ray movies than HD-DVD Movies is simple, the 70% of all the movies that I like,are coming on Blu-Ray only.
I do Igree with the original post!!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
I think that making Blu-ray mandatory was a great idea. Some say they forced it down our throats and I agree. But just like some enthusiastic women (aka deep throaters) I enjoy having things like this forced down my throat. (Ewwww)
hahahaha. The thing that was great for me was out of the box, my PSP expanded, I got Blu-ray movies and all my Blutooth equipment were in fair use and I could put my PS2 aside and enjoy it all out of one box. To that being said, I love the quality Blu-ray has to offer over standard HD but had it not been for the PS3, I would not be owning Blu-ray movies because I would have only bought the Sony Blu-ray player and I dont have an extra $1000 to throw around for just Blu-ray movies
Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 PM

Looks like I am in the minority. The BD drive in the PS3 might have saved Blu-ray but it sure killed the future of Sony's dominance in the console market. All I keep reading about is how everyone with a PS3 is using it for movies and not games. This is quite sad in my opinion because the Playstation line was so good for gaming for so long and now they can't even hold a candle to Microsoft and the Xbox 360. Add that with the fact that Sony is loosing money on each unit they sell I don't see how this was a GOOD idea for Sony. I guess not loosing another format war was more important to Sony then there Playstation line because they pretty much killed it's market dominance to save Blu-ray.